Schools without the 3.0 minimum GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

improvcric

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please spare the wise cracks about finding a new career path. I am well aware of what I am up against. Thanks in advance. Anyway does anyone know which MD programs do not require a 3.0 gpa minimum for applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Please spare the wise cracks about finding a new career path. I am well aware of what I am up against. Thanks in advance. Anyway does anyone know which MD programs do not require a 3.0 gpa minimum for applicants?

MD is highly doubtful unless you're black and have a 44+ MCAT :D .... Why is your GPA bad? What is it? Are you close to 3.0? How far into your schooling are you? Do you know about DO grade replacement?

Worked and didn't take school seriously until about halfway through. Since then for the last 2.5 years I have gotten a single B. All of my prereqs are A's. However my question is inregards to the minimum gpa that some schools have posted under their admission requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a 2.9 something and probably by the end of this year it will be at least a 3.00.

D.O. gpa? Is that with forgiveness. If so then I have a 3.2 something.

OP: from my personal experiences, RWJMS and Jefferson have an established 3.0 GPA cutoff. there are threads discussing this topic in the past, and if you have trouble finding them you can try to search through my post history because i have definitely contributed the above information to those threads.

Unfortunately applying out of undergrad with a 3.0 is pretty much impossible even if you are a URM. You're just wasting your money. People aren't going to advise you to find a new career (with 2 semesters of straight As it's obvious you can handle the work) but they will advise you that you need to make a plan to get into medical school that involves repairing your application, rather than finding a medical school that doesn't want it repaired.

So here's my situation. Last year, I applied with <3.0. Not only that, but I submitted most of my secondaries in September and even October. I know, I know, I'm a terrible SDNer. Spoiler alert: I did not get accepted anywhere.

BUT I did get three interviews.

What you will probably ask me:
- I am half-URM half-non-URM and indicated both on my app.
- I think my ECs are pretty dope (mainly because they are long term).
- My MCAT is <35.

Last edited:
I would advise you to do another 2 years of full-time science coursework after you graduate.

So here's my situation. Last year, I applied with <3.0. Not only that, but I submitted most of my secondaries in September and even October. I know, I know, I'm a terrible SDNer. Spoiler alert: I did not get accepted anywhere.

BUT I did get three interviews.

What you will probably ask me:
- I am half-URM half-non-URM and indicated both on my app.
- I think my ECs are pretty dope (mainly because they are long term).
- My MCAT is <35.

Where did you get interviews Rook?

Unfortunately applying out of undergrad with a 3.0 is pretty much impossible even if you are a URM. You're just wasting your money. People aren't going to advise you to find a new career (with 4 semesters of almost straight As it's obvious you can handle the work) but they will advise you that you need to make a plan to get into medical school that involves repairing your application, rather than finding a medical school that doesn't want it repaired. Your options:

I know it sucks to graduate from college and still have several years of work to do on your app. I was in the same situation (graduated with a 2.8). In the long run, though, the extra year or two doesn't mean much. Heck, the average age to start medical school is 24, taking two years off after undergrad to improve your odds is average now.

From the looks of the AAMC 2008-2010 that is often referred to in these types of forums, there is a small population of matriculated applicants with <3.0 and even some with a low mcat as well. I am aware that I may require extra work after I graduate but for this application season I have 10 free applications from the FAP program which will just go to waste if not used. So what the hay, I would be an idiot not to take a shot. So with that I am strictly concerned with which schools do not officially have a 3.0 gpa minimum.

Thanks

Just an FYI, if you're not black or native american, you can probably disregard that experience. URM status has a huge influence on how schools will look at your stats.

Happen to be black. I have gotten a flood of letters from the med-mar schools but they are based solely off of my mcat. Most of those schools are pretty competitive in regards to gpa. So I wonder if it would be ideal to apply to those programs (granted they accept <3.0) or if I should just apply to lower standard schools who don't actively recruit minorities.

Members don't see this ad :)
2) More imporantly, you need to understand that when you apply to medical schools a second time, you are required to disclose the fact that you are a reapplicant, which is a red flag and puts you at a disadvantage compared to your peers. Not a huge disadvantage, but it's one more straw on the back of your already overloaded cammel. The fact that your application is free does not mean that you're not shooting yourself in the foot by doing this.

What are you basing this on? I don't really think this is true unless you have some evidence. I am a reapplicant this year, and I have spoken to a few schools directly about this, and they all pretty much say that reapplicants are not penalized or disadvantaged at all in the app process. If anything, the admissions directors I've talked to have told me that I am a stronger applicant the second time around because I've done things to address my weaknesses from the last time.

Hello SDN,
I need some help when you have a moment. I am considerably older (32) with low grades because I never took school work as seriously as I should've (2.7-2.8 science gpa with over 50 hours). i'm almost entirely out of financial aid money. for undergrad classes. and i'm wondering if i am crazy to think i could have a shot at PA or MD school. I have volunteering experience in a hospice setting and am shadowing a pcp right now. also, i've got a fair number of c's. and 2-3 classes are repeats. i'm wondering if i have pretty obliterated my chances of achieving the dream of becoming a PA or MD/DO. any advice? please write back.

PAMDO

Unfortunately applying out of undergrad with a 3.0 is pretty much impossible even if you are a URM. You're just wasting your money. People aren't going to advise you to find a new career (with 4 semesters of almost straight As it's obvious you can handle the work) but they will advise you that you need to make a plan to get into medical school that involves repairing your application, rather than finding a medical school that doesn't want it repaired. Your options:

1) Get a high MCAT and a 3.0, do a special masters program (a 1 year masters program, where you take classes with medical students and are graded against them. The best SMPs have almost a 100% accept rate to medical school for students who did well in their program), do well, go to an MD school. You can read more about specific SMP programs on SDNs postbac forum. Be aware that some SMPs are basically scams and don't have a success rate, while others have nearly a 100% success rate, so do your research and make sure you're not wasting your money.

2) Get up to a 3.2 with grade replacement, get a high MCAT, go to DO school. Obviously this is probably your best option, since it means you could apply this cycle with a high enough MCAT, or worst case only spend one extra year in college.

3) Get up to a 3.4 without grade replacement by taking more undergrad classes, get a good MCAT, go to an MD school.

I know it sucks to graduate from college and still have several years of work to do on your app. I was in the same situation (graduated with a 2.8). In the long run, though, the extra year or two doesn't mean much. Heck, the average age to start medical school is 24, taking two years off after undergrad to improve your odds is average now.

What programs have that high of an acceptance? I havn't seen a realistic value over 70ish

Georgetown, Tulane ACP, and EVMS are 90+% for matriculants within two years of graduation. I believe Drexel IMS and Cincinatti (sp?) are better than 70% but I'm not sure.

Loyola MAMS is over 90% within 2 years of graduation, as well

Last edited:
So are these programs offered by the school to applicants who they like but have sub par marks or is there a separate application?

I would advise you to do another 2 years of full-time science coursework after you graduate.

How does that work? Do you just "start a new major" and take classes as you did with undergraduate? Also, does that count towards sGPA from undergrad or is in it's own category?

So are these programs offered by the school to applicants who they like but have sub par marks or is there a separate application?

No, the two applications are completely independent of each other. You must determine what SMP programs your interested in (I recommend Georgetown's - I know several people that have gotten very good results from it) and then send a seperate app to those schools. They usually require a 3.0 GPA and ~30 MCAT.

I would recommend you apply to the 10 med schools you were talking about earlier and then also submitting an app to several SMP's. If you don't get into the med schools, then you will be set to start an SMP that August etc. If you do get in to med school, well then your good to go.

How does that work? Do you just "start a new major" and take classes as you did with undergraduate? Also, does that count towards sGPA from undergrad or is in it's own category?

Well that depends on your situation. If,

1) you are still in undergrad - then you can just go along taking more coursework without filing for graduation. You can even declare a second major and finish a double major if you want something tangible out of it.

2) If you have already graduated - there are 2 options or paths you can choose from,

Path 1: Find a school that will allow you to complete a second bachelor's degree and apply for admission. These schools generally waive ALL of your gen ed requirements since you already have a prior bachelor's degree. You may have to request this if they don't automatically waive it, but they will waive them. You will then need to ONLY complete your new majors requirements, which can be as little as 30-45 credits if you've previously taken some of the intro requirements for the new major. This route gives you something tangible to work for - a 2nd bachelor's degree - in addition to the same course selection preference and financial aid opportunities available to other undergrads there.

Path 2: Find a school that allows non-degree seeking students to enroll in courses and then just start taking courses that interest you etc. The negatives of this path are that 1) your not going to qualify for any financial aid and will be required to pay for your courses in cash or get outside private loans. Federal loans will not be available for you, and 2) your not going to get course selection preference, you'll only be able to register for courses that have space. The degree students will always have preference in course registration - and since your looking to raise your GPA, you may want to take the good professors therefore this may pose a problem for you if those courses fill up. Also, all of the coursework that you do eventually complete is just for the purposes of raising your GPA - you won't get a degree out of it.

Big thanks to Nabeel, Perrot, and Rook. If anyone else has gotten interviews with <3.0 Please list those schools. If you know of a thread with this info please post a link. I suppose I can start a new thread about this topic but we will probably just end up having the same discussion.

SO <3.0 and got an interview... Post the school.