Schools you wish had a pharmacy program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acetk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be a little fun change up with everyone worrying about school and finals. Is there a school you wish had a pharmacy program that currently doesnt?

For me I wish UCLA had one. Since I was little I had always dreamed of going to California and I fell in love with UCLA when I visited but I could never stomach the crazy loans it would take to attend there for 4 years (Im from NYC). And the thought of me wearing Trojan red and gold is pretty sickening lol *throws up* (Doesnt mean if I wont apply though hahaha)

Members don't see this ad.

lol Ivy League schools? I don't know...

UC Irvine (look at my SN) Haha. They should stop opening up free-standing pharmacy programs in CA (I think there's going to be another pharmacy school opening in Fresno in 2010 or 2011...not sure though) and open one at UCI.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Irvine (look at my SN) Haha. They should stop opening up free-standing pharmacy programs in CA (I think there's going to be another pharmacy school opening in Fresno in 2010 or 2011...not sure though) and open one at UCI.
I second that!

Does anyone know why the Ivy's don't have pharmacy schools?? I've always wondered why Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. don't have pharmacy schools!

UCF! It would go great with our new med school =]

University of Louisville. My father-in-law is an endowed chair there and I'd get free room & board, maybe even a discount on tuition :)

For me I wish UCLA had one. Since I was little I had always dreamed of going to California and I fell in love with UCLA when I visited but I could never stomach the crazy loans it would take to attend there for 4 years (Im from NYC). And the thought of me wearing Trojan red and gold is pretty sickening lol *throws up* (Doesnt mean if I wont apply though hahaha)

I concur on this one. I would love to stay at UCLA for another four years. Westwood is awesome!

University of Delaware. My favorite school and I'd pay instate tuition.

But I hope they don't open one now, because then I'd be angry that they didn't have one when I was looking for schools to go to.

Any school with an online PharmD program!

Now that would be scary! Learning patient care from a computer.

I am completely opposed to online programs for professions where dealing with people majorly affects the job outcome (yes, I say no to online nursing and even teaching degrees). And I hear the employers aren't too pleased with these programs either. I had a teacher in HS who was the head of the school's math dept. and she said she'd never hire anyone from an online program because you don't learn the people skills required to be a good teacher.

Members don't see this ad :)

Creighton is an online pharmD program that you can do from anywhere, but I believe you have to go to Nebraska for labs in the summer.

[

Last edited:
OMG an online PharmD program would be too much!!!! LoL

more Univ. of California campuses UCLA/UCI/UCSB/UCD/UCB

Now that would be scary! Learning patient care from a computer.

I am completely opposed to online programs for professions where dealing with people majorly affects the job outcome (yes, I say no to online nursing and even teaching degrees). And I hear the employers aren't too pleased with these programs either. I had a teacher in HS who was the head of the school's math dept. and she said she'd never hire anyone from an online program because you don't learn the people skills required to be a good teacher.

Many students have life circumstances that prevent them from relocating (myself included). Creighton has a distance pathway and I've heard great things about it. Look at the distance pathway's average stats- they don't just accept any old person off the street.

UCLA
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara

Many students have life circumstances that prevent them from relocating (myself included). Creighton has a distance pathway and I've heard great things about it. Look at the distance pathway's average stats- they don't just accept any old person off the street.
True, but Creighton can be picky simply based on supply and demand. I realize that Creighton has had success with their distance pathway program and my guess is, they do a great job choosing applicants who they know will succeed away from the traditional program. However, imagine if more schools opened up distance pathways or if there were on-line only schools offering PharmD programs, similar to what you see with other degree programs. It would not only cheapen the degree but you'd see everyone's mothers, fathers, uncles, and aunts getting their degrees, similar to what you're seeing with MBA degrees.

I don't know about you but if I knew a doctor went to an on-line school to get his doctorate, I would probably choose to go to another doctor.

All UCs should have one so I can get accepted into atleast one of those with in-state tuition.

True, but Creighton can be picky simply based on supply and demand. I realize that Creighton has had success with their distance pathway program and my guess is, they do a great job choosing applicants who they know will succeed away from the traditional program. However, imagine if more schools opened up distance pathways or if there were on-line only schools offering PharmD programs, similar to what you see with other degree programs. It would not only cheapen the degree but you'd see everyone's mothers, fathers, uncles, and aunts getting their degrees, similar to what you're seeing with MBA degrees.

I don't know about you but if I knew a doctor went to an on-line school to get his doctorate, I would probably choose to go to another doctor.

I can definitely see what you're saying and I would go to a different doctor too if I knew nothing about Creighton's program. But, knowing something about their program, I know that most of their online students could most likely get into any campus based program they wanted without a problem. I also don't think that great patient care is something that can necessarily be "taught." You are either an empathetic caring person, or you aren't. Nobody can teach you this and a fake demeanor is pretty easy for a patient to see through. Like you said, I think the school should do a pretty awesome job in selecting their students but that goes for any school. Also, Creighton does have labs during the summer that you must attend so it isn't like it's all online. I would LOVE to do the distance program since my dad is on a heart transplant list and there is only one pharmacy school in the state. There are many other people out there who cannot relocate and live miles away from a school. It is in these rural areas that pharmacists are needed most so I have no problem with providing training to such people.

Um, UCLA are the Bruins and their school colors are blue and gold. USC's colors are red and gold.......

Um, I think he/she knows that. UCLA and USC are rival schools. Acetk wishes UCLA had a pharmacy program because he/she loves the school, and the thought of wearing USC's red and gold, which does have a pharmacy program makes Acetk want to vomit. :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
[

Last edited:
All UCs should have one so I can get accepted into atleast one of those with in-state tuition.

And watch as California pharmacist salaries collapse as a result. PharmD is the new JD :D

Definitely either UCLA or Cal. I currently attend UCSB as an undergrad, and since I want to apply to pharmacy school after this, I've blown my chance to ever go to either of those schools. Cal's campus is just so beautiful... UCSB can't compare. You'd think the third oldest UC would have some more history and tradition to it, or at least some old architecture that you could appreciate. I hate UCSB.

lol Ivy League schools? I don't know...

A few months ago I would have agree with you here. However, now that I know ivy league schools can cost over 300K after four years of schooling...I decided that the BEST school is the CHEAPEST school. I want little to no debt when I graduate. :thumbup:

Any school in NJ, besides Rutgers where it is impossible to get into.

UC Davis would be great...considering there is already a med and vet school. And I wouldnt have to leave haha

A few months ago I would have agree with you here. However, now that I know ivy league schools can cost over 300K after four years of schooling...I decided that the BEST school is the CHEAPEST school. I want little to no debt when I graduate. :thumbup:

You make a great point. Pharmacy education is standardized. What you learn in one school can't be that much different than another pharmacy school. I know Ivy League schools aren't for me, but I've always wondered why they don't offer the PharmD program. My hypothesis is that they think their science programs - Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology - programs are equal to a PharmD, when in actuality they aren't. I know, bad hypothesis! :laugh: Not really funny either lol...Ahh well, the things people will do to earn prestige.

FIU and UM are in desperate need of a Phamacy Program!!:xf:

I'm from Nashville, and I would have to say Vanderbilt.

You make a great point. Pharmacy education is standardized. What you learn in one school can't be that much different than another pharmacy school. I know Ivy League schools aren't for me, but I've always wondered why they don't offer the PharmD program. My hypothesis is that they think their science programs - Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology - programs are equal to a PharmD, when in actuality they aren't. I know, bad hypothesis! :laugh: Not really funny either lol...Ahh well, the things people will do to earn prestige.

Most pharmacists work in retail so there is no need to go to Harvard for pharmacy...That is my guess...medical students and dental students have to fight for plastic surgery and ortho residency positions so they NEED to go to a Ivy to be competitive...but not so much for pharmacy..which is great. I just want a job thats clean, pays well...presitage really doesn't matter...as long as I get pay well and don't have any patient contact...thats all it matters.

Most pharmacists work in retail so there is no need to go to Harvard for pharmacy...That is my guess...medical students and dental students have to fight for plastic surgery and ortho residency positions so they NEED to go to a Ivy to be competitive...but not so much for pharmacy..which is great. I just want a job thats clean, pays well...presitage really doesn't matter...as long as I get pay well and don't have any patient contact...thats all it matters.

What if you want to be the next drug czar? or want to be in the drug policy administration? or work in one of the top positions in the FDA?

That is why I wish Harvard had the PharmD program....

Plus, if you can make it to Harvard, I am sure anyone can get scholarships to go there....

I think you are misunderstanding. You still do the same rotations and have the same patient contact as a normal program. The difference is, that instead of sitting in a classroom trying to shove biochemistry into your head, you are sitting at home trying to shove biochemistry into your head. There is no difference in the material covered....there can't be, it is standardized.

What if you want to be the next drug czar? or want to be in the drug policy administration? or work in one of the top positions in the FDA?

That is why I wish Harvard had the PharmD program....

Plus, if you can make it to Harvard, I am sure anyone can get scholarships to go there....

Then maybe get an MBA from a top program? That's actually my plan...but only from the school in my earlier post lol

I wish that no new pharmacy schools are allowed to open, and half the new schools are required to shut down. We don't need any of the new schools, and they are oversaturating the market with too many pharmacists.

University of Coloardo at BOULDER or DENVER for sure! because they have a great medical facility, the new Fitzsimmons and stuff like that and I have lived in CO since elementary and "paid taxes." Now I have to go out of state for the pharmacy program. (UC @ Boulder and Denver only have pre-pharm. program and then there is the very good pharmacy school, but I am pretty sure its really hard to get into).

I wish that no new pharmacy schools are allowed to open, and half the new schools are required to shut down. We don't need any of the new schools, and they are oversaturating the market with too many pharmacists.

Have you left your room in the past decade? There is a major shortage of pharmacists, doctors, nurses, all health professionals. It's about time new schools open and begin to address this problem. The population increases dramatically every year, and with it, the number of health care professionals who care for them should increase, at least slightly, as well.

Have you left your room in the past decade? There is a major shortage of pharmacists, doctors, nurses, all health professionals. It's about time new schools open and begin to address this problem. The population increases dramatically every year, and with it, the number of health care professionals who care for them should increase, at least slightly, as well.

Nope, no massive shortage. See discussion in the pharmacy forum.

Yea, I totally agree that UCI should open a new pharmacy school! I'm pretty sure there's a great number of pre-pharmacy students in Orange County. Actually, I didn't go to UCI for undergrad (was going to, but changed my mind in the last minute), but I'd rather go there for pharm school to save money on tuition and don't have to worry about housing since I live 15 minutes away from campus.

HAHA, have you left the internet in the past decade??

There is no shortage, retail pharmacies are cutting hours and getting rid of pharmacists, my hospital has hired 1 pharmacist in the past 2 years, pharmacy students in my area are not getting offers like in many other cities. Just wait until the thousands of new grads are being pumped out from the new schools, it will be just like lawyers with JD degrees from all of the new, expensive laws schools. There will be a few that get jobs, and the rest will be making $20 hr doing something unrelated and barely paying back their 30 year mortgage of a student loan.

Just because there is a vacancy in a 10x2 rathole for a night shift pharmacist 100 miles from civilization does not mean there is a shortage.

Last edited: