Schools you wish had a pharmacy program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HAHA, have you left the internet in the past decade??

There is no shortage, retail pharmacies are cutting hours and getting rid of pharmacists, my hospital has hired 1 pharmacist in the past 2 years, pharmacy students in my area are not getting offers like in many other cities. Just wait until the thousands of new grads are being pumped out from the new schools, it will be just like lawyers with JD degrees from all of the new, expensive laws schools. There will be a few that get jobs, and the rest will be making $20 hr doing something unrelated and barely paying back their 30 year mortgage of a student loan.

Just because there is a vacancy in a 10x2 rathole for a night shift pharmacist 100 miles from civilization does not mean there is a shortage.

Well, it's quite different in South Florida. We are incredibly understaffed (with pharmacists) and because of that many of them "float" to a whole bunch of different stores. Here we actually have way too many techs, but not nearly enough pharmacists.

Last I checked, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, etc were all a bit far from being ratholes hundreds of miles from civilization.

Regardless, I will be moving to Vancouver, BC, and they offer great incentives for pharmacists because of the dire shortage.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it's quite different in South Florida. We are incredibly understaffed (with pharmacists) and because of that many of them "float" to a whole bunch of different stores. Here we actually have way too many techs, but not nearly enough pharmacists.

I was under the impression Walgreen's is closing pharmacies in FL and laying off pharmacists because of central fill....

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you want to be the next drug czar? or want to be in the drug policy administration? or work in one of the top positions in the FDA?

That is why I wish Harvard had the PharmD program....

Plus, if you can make it to Harvard, I am sure anyone can get scholarships to go there....

I was beginning to think that you had left the site.
If Ivy league schools like Harvard haven't had a pharmacy school up to this point, how do you think there are people out there that have become CEO's or work for the FDA? They must have gone somewhere, so going to Harvard doesn't automatically make you the only candidate for that job.

And you don't need Ive Leagues to pay enormously for pharmacy school. Here in SA we have UIW where you can pay anywhere between 40-50K per year, so you are looking at an excess of 150K+ even at smaller private schools.

Then maybe get an MBA from a top program? That's actually my plan...but only from the school in my earlier post lol

Whoa, that would be awesome too!

I wish that no new pharmacy schools are allowed to open, and half the new schools are required to shut down. We don't need any of the new schools, and they are oversaturating the market with too many pharmacists.

Yes, I agree with you on that. But, our global population is growing so the amount of pharmacist is going to grow too.

University of Coloardo at BOULDER or DENVER for sure! because they have a great medical facility, the new Fitzsimmons and stuff like that and I have lived in CO since elementary and "paid taxes." Now I have to go out of state for the pharmacy program. (UC @ Boulder and Denver only have pre-pharm. program and then there is the very good pharmacy school, but I am pretty sure its really hard to get into).

Who paid for the new Fitzsimmons medical campus? University of Colorado paid for the new Fitzsimmons medical campus. UC boulder and denver and colorado springs are the same government owned schools and all three are suppose to go to one medical school that the colorado government made.

One more thing, UC medical and pharmacy school is not "hard to get in". You have to try to apply there and see if you qualify. If you can't get in UC pharmacy school, then apply to another school in colorado (regis).

I was beginning to think that you had left the site.If Ivy league schools like Harvard haven't had a pharmacy school up to this point, how do you think there are people out there that have become CEO's or work for the FDA? They must have gone somewhere, so going to Harvard doesn't automatically make you the only candidate for that job.And you don't need Ive Leagues to pay enormously for pharmacy school. Here in SA we have UIW where you can pay anywhere between 40-50K per year, so you are looking at an excess of 150K+ even at smaller private schools.

What is this drug czar? And more importantly how do i become it?

by graduating from the newly opened Pablo Escobar School of Pharmacy in Columbia

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

TexasPharmDoc is right though, John P Walters doesn't even have a pharmacy degree and he is the drug czar with only a BA and MA. But still, if you have a pharmacy degree with a MBA from any pharmacy school, wouldn't that make you more qualified than John P Walters?

Last edited:
What if you want to be the next drug czar? or want to be in the drug policy administration? or work in one of the top positions in the FDA?

That is why I wish Harvard had the PharmD program....

Plus, if you can make it to Harvard, I am sure anyone can get scholarships to go there....

Good point...It would be cool to get an PharmD/MBA from Harvard...It doesn't matter where you get your pharmd but it matters A GREAT DEAL where you get your MBA.

Ummmm which school should have a pharmd program. My local CC for tuition purposes.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't there a Pharmacy board, like there's a med board that mandates how much applicants nationwide can be accepted into Pharmacy school? Thats how they keep the demand high, therefore, salaries high..right?

It would be cool if MIT or Harvard had a pharmacy program...not like I would get in or anything..

Isn't there a Pharmacy board, like there's a med board that mandates how much applicants nationwide can be accepted into Pharmacy school? Thats how they keep the demand high, therefore, salaries high..right?

Yeah it's called the Board of your Imagination. :D

I agree it'd be nice if Duke and Vanderbilt had PharmD programs. I also wish UNC had a PharmD/MBA degree considering the quality of each program.

HAHA, have you left the internet in the past decade??

There is no shortage, retail pharmacies are cutting hours and getting rid of pharmacists, my hospital has hired 1 pharmacist in the past 2 years, pharmacy students in my area are not getting offers like in many other cities. Just wait until the thousands of new grads are being pumped out from the new schools, it will be just like lawyers with JD degrees from all of the new, expensive laws schools. There will be a few that get jobs, and the rest will be making $20 hr doing something unrelated and barely paying back their 30 year mortgage of a student loan.

Just because there is a vacancy in a 10x2 rathole for a night shift pharmacist 100 miles from civilization does not mean there is a shortage.

Umm... I have to disagree... There are so many other positions and fields that Pharmacists could jump into like nuclear (shortage) Compounding (Shortage) Oncology (definite shortage) amongst others. Closing pharmacy into 3 general fields really diminishes the importance of pharmacy as a profession. It may not be as bad as it was a decade ago, but it does not necessarily mean that the shortage has been corrected, especially when just referring to hospital or retail. In addition, you forget the baby boomers are on their way to old age and are going to be needing their medication double time. Unfortunately, we have pharmacist who loathe their jobs (got some great testimonials) especially in the retail field, but for some reason many flock there to get their day's pay without considering the consequences. Hmm.... Anyway... back on topic. I wish UCF or USF would get a pharmacy school.

TAMU College Station! All my friends go there!