SCI elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, been busy w/3rd yr, great fun...trolling around as usual, wanted to post about this(should help others as well)..

i've finally got my elective block coming up, I'm doing 3 weeks on the SCI unit. (+1 week muscsk outpt)...

can you guys recommend some reading material?

texts?

or perhaps even better, some formative journal articles/reviews or trials youve heard about during residency? (no need for citations, just gimme an idea where to look/what journals, and what for)..

much thanks
scm

Members don't see this ad.

SCI practice guidelines from the paralyzed veterans of america. Excellent and informative, if you read through those, you'll shine! You also need the ASIA pocket manual for SCI exam- memorize the ASIA scoring system and exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! my library seems to have kirshblum(all 672pgs or so), i can't seem to find a place to get the pcket exam guide online, any leads? much thanks

I grabbed a copy from the program coordinator when I did my SC rotation.

http://www.sci-queri.research.med.va.gov/ASIA STANDARDS.HTM

That's an outline of the exam...it's actually pretty easy, just time consuming testing the dermatomes.

If you want a quickee pocket SC book, try "The Rehabilitation of People with Spinal Cord Injury", Shanker Nesathurai. It will give you some good points...but you definitely need Kirshblum as a backstop.

Have fun on the rotation! :clap:

If you happen to have access to either of the two major textbooks we have in Rehab(Braddom or Delisa), both have sections specifically on SCI. A quick overall read.

Finally M3 said:
If you want a quickee pocket SC book, try "The Rehabilitation of People with Spinal Cord Injury", Shanker Nesathurai. It will give you some good points...but you definitely need Kirshblum as a backstop.

We recently hired Dr. Nesathurai as one of our attendings and he's been a great addition to our program.

I am curious - facts as I know them are that he was chair at Buffalo, and then was unceremoniously fired.

Scuttlebutt is that there was a plagerism issue - I certainly don't know the details, so I am clearly just asking for gossip I have heard to be confirmed. Anyone know facts on the subject?

paz5559 said:
I am curious - facts as I know them are that he was chair at Buffalo, and then was unceremonially fired.

Scuttlebutt is that there was a plagerism issue - I certainly don;t know the details, so I am clearly just asking for gossip I ahve heard to be confirmed. Anyone know facts on the subject?

I haven't heard anything about that and I'd be quite surprised if it were true. I do know that he was the Chair at BU prior to accepting the Chair position at Buffalo. My understanding was that he wanted to return to a more academic environment in Boston.

heh, well his little handbook has been great, I've been using it for the last couple of weeks on the SCI unit(which I've been loving). They give it to all the residents when they do the SCI floor where I'm at.
take care
scm