PGY4 Elective Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErrantWhatever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

As I'm starting my final year, I was wondering if anyone had elective advice before finishing residency. I searched and couldn't find much on this in the recent past. I've applied to Pain and (fingers crossed) will pursue that as a career, and I actually have quite a bit of elective time this year that is literally up to me to design (pretty amazing, right?). I've planned to do a fair amount of Sports/MSK/Spine time, as well as EMG's. I guess I was just wondering if any folks out there that have been in the working world for awhile ever look back and say, "That probably would've been useful," during their residency. As an example, I asked a local Pain guy this question, and he recommended spending time in rads reviewing spine MRI's to get more comfortable--seems like a smart move. If you have any thoughts, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Gang,

As I'm starting my final year, I was wondering if anyone had elective advice before finishing residency. I searched and couldn't find much on this in the recent past. I've applied to Pain and (fingers crossed) will pursue that as a career, and I actually have quite a bit of elective time this year that is literally up to me to design (pretty amazing, right?). I've planned to do a fair amount of Sports/MSK/Spine time, as well as EMG's. I guess I was just wondering if any folks out there that have been in the working world for awhile ever look back and say, "That probably would've been useful," during their residency. As an example, I asked a local Pain guy this question, and he recommended spending time in rads reviewing spine MRI's to get more comfortable--seems like a smart move. If you have any thoughts, I'm all ears. Thanks!

MSK rads and Rheum are two excellent choices to broaden your horizons.

If you are applying for pain fellowship I would spend time with msk radiology and orthospine/neurosurgery. The rest you will get from fellowship. Also no harm in spending time with palliative or sports Med unless your fellowship offers that.
try to find a msk radiologist/IR who does ultrasounds, kyphoplasty and arthrograms.