Science Anxiety.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like science. I love to know how life works and what makes us tick. But I have a little anxiety about starting my science classes this quarter. I have a good GPA right now (3.82), and I don't want to mess that up.

I was a slacker in high school, and did not take the normal science classes. So, I had to start from scratch at community college before I came to the university, so I don't have the benefit of previous classes.

What I'm getting at is; has anyone else felt the same way, and how did you deal with it?

Also, I am scared of the curve. The science classes at my school are super competitive with all the pre-meds.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let it overwhelm you! Make a plan of action and dedicate yourself to making the grade you want!

Anytime I've felt that anxious feeling creep up, I get busy and form a to-do list for my classes.

Be proactive. If you see yourself struggling early on, get help. Try to figure out if you're more of a group-learning person or a by-yourself-person. Don't wait until you're completely lost to do something about it! Try to read everything way in advance so that you already "know" everything by the time the prof brings it up in class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get me wrong, I like science. I love to know how life works and what makes us tick. But I have a little anxiety about starting my science classes this quarter. I have a good GPA right now (3.82), and I don't want to mess that up.

I was a slacker in high school, and did not take the normal science classes. So, I had to start from scratch at community college before I came to the university, so I don't have the benefit of previous classes.

What I'm getting at is; has anyone else felt the same way, and how did you deal with it?

Also, I am scared of the curve. The science classes at my school are super competitive with all the pre-meds.

If you've gotten a 3.82 thus far, you must be doing something right. Trust in your skills, put in the time and effort you need to, and you will come out okay. I got scared heading into a few of my semesters (two where I had OChem, Physics and Physiology and another where I had Neuroscience, Biomechanics and a cadaver lab), but I just focused, developed my study skills, and managed to succeed. You can do it!

As for the competition... plenty of people on here to ask for tips about dealing with gunners. ;)

Is this a freshman level course? If so, don't be worried at all about the competition. If its anything like my school, at least 50% of the kids around you are delusional in thinking they can get into med school (or at the very least know how to study properly). You won't see any of them one year from now. Just focus on what you have to do to succeed. Go to lecture more times than you skip, read the coursework, go to office hours when you don't understand things, study for tests until you're comfortable with the material. Its really that straightforward.

Thanks. I am sure that I can do well if I just spend the amount of time I do on all my other classes. It is just the new that can be scary sometimes. Yes, it is first level chemistry and bio. I wanted to wait until I got to the university before I took my pre-reqs to show I could succeed at that level. Maybe that was a mistake.

I have heard that the classes loose about 50% of their enrolled students about the time it is the last day to drop the class. It is kind of a "weed" out if you will. I just don't want to be one of the weeded.

I have a good GPA right now (3.82), and I don't want to mess that up.

just about all science courses at any school are competitive, and since you have gotten a nice start to your GPA, just carry over your study methods and you will be fine!

good luck!

Its not that bad, the best word of advice I can give you is to do your best at understanding WHY things work the way they work ( especially in general chemistry ) and you will be alright.

Good luck and god speed to the future with you young skywalker you will.