Science Degrees That Arent Worthless??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wow A Deer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!
simple question, is there any science degree thats not completely useless and could get a fairly decent job out of a 4yr. I was thinking the other day that if med school didnt work out i was practically stuck with a 30k piece of paper. Anyone ever feel this way? Are bio/chem/physics/math degree good for anything else besides professional or grad schools?
THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Nearly all engineering degrees will net a nice salary over the long-run. In addition, physics and applied math also look semi-lucrative. Computer science would get you a good job as well.

Keep in mind that most medical schools don't really care what you major in, as long as you fulfill the pre-med requirements. Thus, you could theoretically get a business degree while also doing your pre-med requirements and get into medical school (or don't!). Keep in mind, however, that science and engineering majors score the highest on the GMAT and score pretty high on the LSAT as well. Thus, even if your degree is worthless there are other options in graduate/professional school that you can pursue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Engineering majors are pretty much the only lucrative bs degree you can really get. I dont understand why most bachelor degrees have really no potential other than being a stepping stone for more education. i can see how math and physics majors can be used in many fields though

it would be comforting knowing however that if my goal to get into med school doesnt work, my 4 years and $$ wouldnt be a nice frame on the wall.

pretty much everyone here speaks the truth. i majored in MCB/biochem and have been unemployed for 12 months...meanwhile my friend with an engineering degree has a job. not jealous, just slapping myself for taking a year off.

If you're looking for job security, definitely don't get a BA in biology/chemistry (versus the BS route). At least with a BS, you can get a job in a lab somewhere... a BA science degree is basically med school or bust.

Engineering generally provides you with the best job security, but not all engineering degrees are created equal. Mechanical / electrical engineers are basically guaranteed jobs if they graduate. Biomedical engineers (at least those on the tissue/cell track) have a bit tougher time finding jobs due to the fact that the field is still relatively new, which means you'll just as likely be working with as a start-up as with a large company.

Engineering majors are pretty much the only lucrative bs degree you can really get. I dont understand why most bachelor degrees have really no potential other than being a stepping stone for more education. i can see how math and physics majors can be used in many fields though

it would be comforting knowing however that if my goal to get into med school doesnt work, my 4 years and $$ wouldnt be a nice frame on the wall.

Not the only one. Nursing degrees provide excellent earning potential and job security, though not the best degree for someone looking to go to med school. Accounting is also a strong option.

you can get a science degree and get a good job my doing interships in pharm and biotech while in college over the summer. I was a neuroscience major and work in biotech now making ~60K (one year out of school). due to good interships and experience. Markert yourself properly and set yourself up for success ahead of time by doing internships

If you're looking for job security, definitely don't get a BA in biology/chemistry (versus the BS route). At least with a BS, you can get a job in a lab somewhere... a BA science degree is basically med school or bust.

At least in the northeast, this is 100% false. Employers couldn't care less if you have a B.A. or B.S., they only care about your research experience and LORs. Honestly, your GPA doesn't matter much, either.

you can get a science degree and get a good job my doing interships in pharm and biotech while in college over the summer. I was a neuroscience major and work in biotech now making ~60K (one year out of school). due to good interships and experience. Markert yourself properly and set yourself up for success ahead of time by doing internships

+1 :thumbup:. This is a great option for those looking to take a year or two off, it served me well.

my two semesters of organic chemistry helped me more in a finding a job more than all my other science classes combined.

Your post-college employability is at least as much about the internships/summer jobs/research you've done as the degree you graduate with. Just looking at friends of mine from college, math or physics degree could prepare you for a lucrative gig in finance, but only if you have some other experience beyond your coursework. A biology or chemistry degree could land you a sexy (if not particularly well paying job) job in oenology, but only if you have some other experience beyond your coursework.

If you have a BS and no particular experience, your options are pretty limited, but not zero. You could always teach high-schoolers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical Lab Science - get a job at hospital as a lab tech

Your post-college employability is at least as much about the internships/summer jobs/research you've done as the degree you graduate with. Just looking at friends of mine from college, math or physics degree could prepare you for a lucrative gig in finance, but only if you have some other experience beyond your coursework. A biology or chemistry degree could land you a sexy (if not particularly well paying job) job in oenology, but only if you have some other experience beyond your coursework.

If you have a BS and no particular experience, your options are pretty limited, but not zero. You could always teach high-schoolers.

This. Be proactive, people. I thought this was common knowledge for people looking for employment after getting their bachelors. The successful people I went to school with are those who were diligent in marketing themselves to future employers. I know a girl who majored in Public Relations with a minor in Marketing who had SEVEN internships throughout college. She had zero trouble finding a job and quickly moving up in her company. Compare that to the person majoring in Communications and just tooling around all summer who graduates and immediately moves back in with their parents and wonders why no job is good enough for them. Sadly the latter appears to be much more common...

Some universities only give out BA's due to tradition. Are you going to put fault on those students, even if they have the same or better experience than their Podunk College BS counterparts?

And as 90minIPA pointed out, I haven't had a problem in the northeast with a BA. It's experience and networking that matters the most.

your degree is nothing but a piece of paper saying you fulfilled a certain number of courses. it says nothing about your employabillity or actual practical knowledge in a field.

if you want to secure a job after graduation, do volunteer and internships for experience during your summers and time off. you won't get a full time- paid job without having done internships and built up your resume a bit. (unless you have mad connections through your parents, etc.)

Some universities only give out BA's due to tradition. Are you going to put fault on those students, even if they have the same or better experience than their Podunk College BS counterparts?

And as 90minIPA pointed out, I haven't had a problem in the northeast with a BA. It's experience and networking that matters the most.

Perhaps it's a school specific thing. My school offers a BS and a BA for science degrees, and the BA essentially holds no value versus the BS.

Word.

What can you do with a bio degree? Plenty.

The obvious being crappy research assistant job, Grad/professional schools.

Less obvious is that you can really do anything you want. Consulting firms want bio people (and chem, and math, and sociology). They need a broad base of expertise, and I know more then a few who went that route. Likewise, I-banking, et al. don't require an econ degree either. I know plenty of others that went into business, startups, HR, management, etc. Honestly, many of my engineering friends (outside of CS) have had more trouble finding jobs then bio people.

I agree that a bio degree isn't as valuable as CS for job prospects, but its far from worthless. Even if the biology has little to no bearing on what your job ends up being.

Exactly. I second this.

A BS in computer science by itself makes you more marketable because to graduate with that BS you'll have to have a few programming languages under your belt which employers might want. With a biology degree... having done PCR once or twice in a cell and molecular biology lab isn't going to get you a job. However, two summers spent doing research where you gained extensive experience handling mice is liable to (though perhaps not one you'd want to stay at forever).

Chemical/Petroleum engineering has the highest starting salary of anybody with just a bachelors. I know of people getting 85k out of college. Demand for oil puts these people in extremely high demand (anybody who is smart enough to get a degree in this field gets the job with the pay without too much trouble if they're competant). The salary goes up to about 130k or more after a few years of experience on the job. Financially, they do much better over their careers than most primary care people. You have to be willing to travel a lot though to do your job and its not a very easy lifestyle but for some people that is a plus.

I think chemistry is still a good degree, as long as you focus more on analytical or physical chemistry. The organic synthesis field is a little saturated, so unless you're a synthesis prodigy, I wouldn't focus on it, but I would know it, well. I was laid off last year from my job (along with my entire department) and the only people who have not found jobs are the ones who are not flexible enough to move.

The college that you attend, your degree (BA vs BS), your major- non of it really makes much difference in my industry, pharma. It's your experience, attitude and work ethic that counts in the workplace.

All the people advising that you do internships- listen to them. I did an applied science summer internship every summer since my sophomore year in high school and I have not had trouble finding work (I'm at work now :D) with great pay.

I'm also voting Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Laboratory Science is a great one.

Get to take awesome classes like hematology, immunology, med micro, parasitology; do cool testing in a hospital; and there's as much of a shortage as there is in nursing. Job opps. in most areas are great, it's more intellectually challenging than "tech" might imply, and you can definitely live off the pay.

Perhaps it's a school specific thing. My school offers a BS and a BA for science degrees, and the BA essentially holds no value versus the BS.

Word.

Its definitely a school specific thing. Some of the older colleges such as the University of Pennsylvania only offer BA's from their college of Arts and Letters or Arts and Sciences.

Animal Science:thumbup:
Agriculture is booming in this country and people love their meat. (Get your mind out of the gutter)

EECS, Chem E.

A lot of the time a CS major won't cut it because companies want EECS majors.

Well, I'll tell you this much: I'm a Pathologist's Assistant graduate (bachelor's degree level), and the starting salary right off the bat ranges from $60K to $90K depending on location and industry setting (private lab vs. teaching hospital, etc.).

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get a job anymore because employers wanted a master's degree with a license. The only way to obtain a license is to get a master's degree in P.A. (which is only offered in about 7 colleges in the entire country) and then take a board test, so I really got screwed after I graduated. Previously, all that was needed to get a license was 3-years of full-time, on-the-job experience, but as of 2006 (right when I graduated), the ASCP decided to change the licensing requirements around, thereby rendering my undergraduate degree completely useless.

This is why I'm deciding to go to medical school. I figure I can use my past experience as a means of advancing myself professionally while serving others. If I DON'T get in (and even with a sub-par MCAT score, I don't see how I won't get admitted), then I guess I'll have to take the GREs and apply to a P.A. master's program (which I really don't want to do because that's a real waste of my talent). Also, I'm not sacrificing $15,000 of my hard-earned money from my previous jobs in the healthcare industry, as well as the time I'm spending volunteering without working, for nothing.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Hey everyone!!
simple question, is there any science degree thats not completely useless and could get a fairly decent job out of a 4yr. I was thinking the other day that if med school didnt work out i was practically stuck with a 30k piece of paper. Anyone ever feel this way? Are bio/chem/physics/math degree good for anything else besides professional or grad schools?
THANKS!

Engineering major.

I'm an Environmental engineering major. Its a very growing field.

I have friends who graduated with either chemistry or chem e degrees that ended up working at the same big pharm company doing essentially the same lab work(molecular bio stuff ironically...). The chem e makes 25K more than the chem major

An engineering degree is a double-edged sword for a pre-med. It will increase your chances of getting a solid paying job if medicine doesn't work out. But it will also increase your likelihood of medicine not working out, by virtue of how difficult it is to do well.

How many >3.5 chemical engineering majors are there out there? I have friends at google and microsoft who barely broke a 3.0-3.2 in engineering fields, and they were among the smartest in their deptartments. While you may get a small bump for being in a tough major from adcoms, it won't be naerly enough to compensate for the dent in one's GPA it creates.

So that said, do engineering if it's something you are interested in, but it's not necessarily the best way to "hedge" your bets, if medicine is your end goal.

Last edited:
I'm new to the forum and just looked at this thread. I'd like to answer because I think I can give a good perspective to this as I am most likely significantly older(29) than a lot of people on here and have been in the science working world for a while.

I graduated in 2004 with a BS in Chemistry and if you are looking to have a stable career definitely go the engineering route. When I was in college I did not know the difference between chem E and Chemistry, but in the real world there is a big difference, yeah ChemE is hard as hell, but it's worth it as you are almost guaranteed to land a job at 60k a year or more. The downside is because it is so hard, your gpa will most likely suffer. If you are majoring in biology or chemistry, make sure you get related experience with internships. I never did one in college and it really hurt me right out of college.

The jobs with just a BS in chemistry at least right now are not so great. If you have significant research experience you can land a decent job, experience in analytical chemistry(HPLC, IR, GC/MS) will get you in a lot of places.

A higher degree may be helpful but keep in mind that the pharmaceutical industry is not doing that well right now. I was laid off and had to take a contract job at the biggest pharma company. While it pays well, overall there is not a lot of job security even if I was full time. A lot of these companies are shifting operations overseas to reduce costs.

All in all, I'd make sure to study your ass off in college and get really good grades. Do internships in the summer and kick ass at them. Be the best worker there, and get good references from former managers. Be nice and respectful to EVERYBODY, and never act like a know-it-all. The working world is a lot different from school. While academia is pretty much a meritocracy, the working world isn't. You tend to get a lot farther if people like you.

Not the only one. Nursing degrees provide excellent earning potential and job security, though not the best degree for someone looking to go to med school. Accounting is also a strong option.

Indeed, a strong option for strong work.