...Science GPA and School Location to Working location relation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dragonsimot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive looked into this on the boards already but it seems like there isn't a really definitive answer ...sooo maybe by me asking my individual question I can quit researching and fretting over it.

Ok

GEN ED CHEM - A
PreCalc - B
Psychology - A
Communication- B

GPA...like ~3.46 Precalc is 4hr vs rest being 3hr.

So the question is .... are those GENED CHEM and PRECALC equated into my Science GPA?

NOTE: Im former military..never tried in HS...80/100 class, first semester in school...so I feel this gpa is ok but not good enough..hopefully more maturity will take place from now on..why I say this is because I was on pace to get my PRECALC up to an A but having female problems lead to inability to focus on last test (D@@@MN)

ALSOOOO, I am currently enrolled in Illinois State University...I would like to eventually (far out i know dont worry, im just that type of person) live in one of 3 regions which would be northern California, chicago, or North East... When applying to medical schools should I intend to apply to those regions because of the relation to where I'll end up practicing some day?

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-calc - yes
Gen Ed Chem - probably yes. My understanding is that it counts in the BCMP category as long as it's college level science, even if it was a class for non-science majors.

Important rule to follow: Breakups and relationships problems need to take place AFTER exams. Those things have messed up more than one person. That advice is if you're a guy. If you're a gal, then I don't have any advice about those "female problems".

I'm for sure a man last time I checked haha! So ya I understand... what a joke that deal was ... whatever you do stay away from the psycho's (clue she's talking to you while having a long distance bf which should have been my first clue LOL)

aaaaaaanyways back on subject ...what about medschool and practicing location relation? anyone have an insight ?

#1 - for allopathic (MD) schools, it is BCPM (biology, chemistry, physics, math), so anything under that heading is definitely in this GPA category. There is some grey area for classes taught in different departments that have titles which belong under BCPM.

#2 - it doesn't matter where you go to school if you want to practice in any area. It is true that there may be some geographic advantage in applying to a competitive residency if the school has connections to some particular program. In general though, people from all over the country often match to locations not in the same geographic area.