science professor LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted782438

As far as my LORs, these are my options.

• Committee letter from undergrad
  • OMFS I've been shadowing
  • (supervisor) research advisor where I currently work
  • (mentor) research advisor where I currently work
  • medical ethics professor (not a class under BCMP)

Would this list negatively effect my application? I know some schools say they require a LOR from a science faculty. The science professor I used in the past is currently on leave and would not be able to write a LOR on my behalf; recently found out he was on sabbatical and would return in september..) Some schools say the committee letter suffices their science faculty LOR but would this be fine for schools that do not say this?? Would my research advisors be considered for the role of a "science professor" as they overlook my roles where I'm working.

Also took a grad class recently and could ask one of the science professors for a LOR but would possibly be very late as I haven't even asked if they would be willing to.. Would it be worth applying late (Sept??) when I receive their LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost every (if not every) school requires one, if not two letters from science professors. Columbia requires 3. You are shooting yourself in the foot for no reason if you don't get at least a letter from a science professor. A research advisor does not count as a science professor unless he has given you a grade on your transcript. Even then, not every school considers a research advisor as a science professor. It's redundant getting a letter from a supervisor and also research advisor from the same job, absolutely do not do that.

I'm not sure how your school does committee letters, but I would look into that if those are your only options.

Almost every (if not every) school requires one, if not two letters from science professors. Columbia requires 3. You are shooting yourself in the foot for no reason if you don't get at least a letter from a science professor. A research advisor does not count as a science professor unless he has given you a grade on your transcript. Even then, not every school considers a research advisor as a science professor. It's redundant getting a letter from a supervisor and also research advisor from the same job, absolutely do not do that.

I'm not sure how your school does committee letters, but I would look into that if those are your only options.

I thought the LOR requirement was 3x science professors or one committee letter?
If it is 3x science professors... my only option now is to begin e-mailing past professors explaining the circumstances and wait until the letters are ready or... wait an entire year?
Shoot..

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the LOR requirement was 3x science professors or one committee letter?
If it is 3x science professors... my only option now is to begin e-mailing past professors explaining the circumstances and wait until the letters are ready or... wait an entire year?
Shoot..
nonono, almost every school requires 3 professors, TWO of which need to be science. The third can be a DDS or non sci prof, or anything else that the school suggests. Only havard and columbia need THREE science profs.

Shoot..
You can do the committee letter. How does your committee work? Depending on the school, they take one of two approaches. They either write up essentially a cover letter for you and include the original letters in the packet, or they write one letter that summarizes all of your letters. Either way, I honestly think should still try to get a science letter to include. I'm not sure how it would work if you submitted your current letters to your committee. Ask your committee or pre-health advisor what to do!

As the OP said above, most people do: two science, with a third from either a non-science professor or a dentist. Some people include a 4th (another science prof, a volunteer supervisor, a research prof, etc).

Be sure to look at the individual school's requirements that you are planning to apply to. Do that now, so that you can get everything sorted out now!

Keep in mind that whatever you do, AADSAS limits you to 4 LOR uploads.

You can do the committee letter. How does your committee work? Depending on the school, they take one of two approaches. They either write up essentially a cover letter for you and include the original letters in the packet, or they write one letter that summarizes all of your letters. Either way, I honestly think should still try to get a science letter to include. I'm not sure how it would work if you submitted your current letters to your committee. Ask your committee or pre-health advisor what to do!

As the OP said above, most people do: two science, with a third from either a non-science professor or a dentist. Some people include a 4th (another science prof, a volunteer supervisor, a research prof, etc).

Be sure to look at the individual school's requirements that you are planning to apply to. Do that now, so that you can get everything sorted out now!

Considering the amount of applicants schools get... will they really reject me because one of my writers isnt teach a pre-health course or if the writer is a scientist but not a prof? That just seems a bit irrational to me.

but yes I will definitely get this sorted out for sure thank you very much!

the committee letter is a one they write based on my personal statement, ECs, letter of evaluations, etc.