Science-related interview questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medisin31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a couple of questions concerning interviews. Have any of you had an interview where the interviewers asked for specific science/medical knowledge (e.g. 'Explain the trypsinogen activation pathyway and where does it, or its other forms, cleave peptides?')? If so, what subjects were the most heavily focused on? And, which schools asked these types of questions?

I have had some interviews and this never came up, nor did any of my peers mention these questions arising, but I have read in a few medical school interview books to be prepared to answer these inquiries.

Input would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I would be interested to know how to prepare for general science questions from every area of science currently known. If an interviewer asked me that question, I'd just walk out. That is just pathetic.

I never got a question like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

My advice would just be ignore that possibility. Definitely don't prep for any questions like that. If for some reason it comes up, just answer the best you can. It probably wouldn't be a question testing your knowledge. Instead, it would be a question designed to test how you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I have a couple of questions concerning interviews. Have any of you had an interview where the interviewers asked for specific science/medical knowledge (e.g. 'Explain the trypsinogen activation pathyway and where does it, or its other forms, cleave peptides?')? If so, what subjects were the most heavily focused on? And, which schools asked these types of questions?

I have had some interviews and this never came up, nor did any of my peers mention these questions arising, but I have read in a few medical school interview books to be prepared to answer these inquiries.

Input would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Have you done research into the trypsinogen activation pathway? If so, then know what you're talking about. It not, then don't worry about answering questions like this.

+1 to the above. I wouldn't worry about random science questions, but if you've done research, you'd better be able to explain the science behind it in detail.

I had an interviewer take me into the gamma ray knife procedural room and grill me about how the machine works. He then proceeded to show me a mammogram and quiz me about. I knew virtually nothing about either and just said "I don't know" for almost every question. I don't know what he was expecting but I believe he wasn't impressed.

I got waitlisted there, and my stats were significantly higher than their matriculating averages....lame sauce. :(

OP, if they start throwing stuff out at you, then do one of two things.
1. make a reasoned guess.
2. Say you don't know.

I think making a reasoned guess can't hurt.

If they asked a ridiculous question like that, I don't think they are looking for the right answer. I feel they want to see how you react in that situation, see how you handle the pressure.