Science vs BCP GPA, More Impt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr PS09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, which was is more important? Does Anyone know what schools look at which one more. I know Doc Toothache compared everything but he only said science GPA in this thread

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=657139

So what about BCP? Is it impt as well?

Thanks for all the help

Members don't see this ad.

I would have to say science GPA would be more important because thats counting ALL of your science courses (upper divisions plus your introductions) and it looks at your science as more of a whole whereas your BCP only looks at specifics.

However im pretty sure that there are many schools that view BCP more important than science also there are many schools who view science more important than BCP.

Just wondering, which was is more important? Does Anyone know what schools look at which one more. I know Doc Toothache compared everything but he only said science GPA in this thread

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=657139

So what about BCP? Is it impt as well?

Thanks for all the help

I think they are both equally important. I am certain of only 1 school that favors the BCP over any other GPA, and that school is Detroit Mercy.

Their admission director told us that on the day of the tour last November. Their reason is, detroit is the heart of the automotive industry (duh), so naturally, there tends to be alot of engineers who apply to thier school. They said that Engineers tend to have a very high science-GPA (because they do very well in math-type courses) but struggle hard with biological sciences (and brings down their BCP).....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would think both are equally as important, but if you really want to know which one is more important, just contact the schools and get the information from them. It varies by school, so contacting them would be your best option.

If one has taken alot of pretty difficult BCP courses (immuno, cell bio, biochem, A&P, micro, etc) and done well; would it be okay to take classes like nutrition, geology, biology of woman, etc to raise the science gpa even more?

There is not definite answer to this question. It depends on the school. They are given all of your GPAs with and without +/-. The school can pick which ones they want to consider and every school is different. Some don't consider science or BCP at all, just overall GPA. If you are wondering which GPA is the most important, contact the schools you are interested in.

Essentially as everyone has been saying, it really depends on the school. I know UNC looks primarily at your BCP gpa because they think it is the best indicator of how you will do in dental school.