Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebrainina

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Medical Laboratory Science Major
Do you know is MLS classes count as a science, such as hematology, medical biochemistry,clinical microbiology ectt.... yet they are all titled MLS not Bio,Chm,phy?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Medical Laboratory Science Major
Do you know is MLS classes count as a science, such as hematology, medical biochemistry,clinical microbiology ectt.... yet they are all titled MLS not Bio,Chm,phy?

Yes they generally do....Check the AACOMAS app instructions for a good list of classes and what science they all under...

i'm guessing you're talking about factoring in your clinical classes in your gpa? i'm not sure it will officially be counted as "science" gpa but it will surely be counted in your cum gpa...so if you did ok on your preclinical science and your gpa is good, i really wouldnt worry about it. but like the above poster said, aacomas will have criteria for listing what classes are counted as "science."

having an MLS or lab scientist job is great anyway (assuming you're trying to get into med school) because you have professional experience and lots of medical exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
The main reason I ask this is because I plan on applying to msucom and they require 3 credit hours of biochemistry, yet for my major I am taking a course called medical biochemistry and I am not sure if that will count.

FYI i only want the degree for medical school I have no interest in working as a medical technologist plus in my state if I want to be a Med tech i need to complete a six month internship(post graduation) and take a board exam.

The main reason I ask this is because I plan on applying to msucom and they require 3 credit hours of biochemistry, yet for my major I am taking a course called medical biochemistry and I am not sure if that will count.

FYI i only want the degree for medical school I have no interest in working as a medical technologist plus in my state if I want to be a Med tech i need to complete a six month internship(post graduation) and take a board exam.

Call and ask them directly!

I'm guessing you'll probably be fine as far as the biochemistry. Biochem requirenments are usually pretty liberal. UNE offers a medical biochem and they have tons of graduate schools that accept it (to include many med schools)
Unfortunately the rest of your transcript won't count towards your chemistrys/biologys. How a clinical microbiology isn't considered a biology I'll never know. I guess it is along hte same lines that a PAs A&P courses don't count as bio either.

AACOMAS has our classes listed as "other science"

i'm guessing you're talking about factoring in your clinical classes in your gpa? i'm not sure it will officially be counted as "science" gpa but it will surely be counted in your cum gpa...so if you did ok on your preclinical science and your gpa is good, i really wouldnt worry about it. but like the above poster said, aacomas will have criteria for listing what classes are counted as "science."

Interesting. Because I also majored in MLS and all of our clinical classes were like regular science classes. I took a year of clinical microbiology and a year clinical biochemistry and all of these other classes but they were just like any other science class---lectures with a lab once a week.

In my school, we did not have a traditional clinical laboratory sciences degree where you rotated in labs in your last year; our major was pretty academic and rigorous. The fact that it won't count is pretty upsetting to me.

Interesting. Because I also majored in MLS and all of our clinical classes were like regular science classes. I took a year of clinical microbiology and a year clinical biochemistry and all of these other classes but they were just like any other science class---lectures with a lab once a week.

In my school, we did not have a traditional clinical laboratory sciences degree where you rotated in labs in your last year; our major was pretty academic and rigorous. The fact that it won't count is pretty upsetting to me.

It counts as science for your SciGPA. Just don't try to use them as pre-reqs

It counts as science for your SciGPA. Just don't try to use them as pre-reqs

Oh okay. I thought he/she meant it wouldn't be counted in the sGPA and that it would only be counted toward the cGPA. I have the regular, year-long classes.