SCO Entering Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k2r5t9

k2r5t9
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be cool to start a thread to get to know those who will be going to SCO next year. Maybe a quick introduction, and maybe it will help people who are not decided on where they are going to school yet to see what type of people they will be classmates with.
Anyway, I'll start. I'm 24 and from Utah. My name is Rob. I am married to a wonderful woman from New Jersey and have a 20 month old daughter named Kaelin. I am studying biology at the University of Utah. I am excited and really enjoyed Memphis in my visit. I also had a few other interviews but the clinic at SCO and admissions staff at SCO were so great compared to the other schools I applied to. We found an apartment out in a suburb of Memphis called Bartlett, so that's where we are going to live. If anyone's curious to know more, feel free to contact me.

Members don't see this ad.

k2r5t9 said:
I thought it would be cool to start a thread to get to know those who will be going to SCO next year. Maybe a quick introduction, and maybe it will help people who are not decided on where they are going to school yet to see what type of people they will be classmates with.
Anyway, I'll start. I'm 24 and from Utah. My name is Rob. I am married to a wonderful woman from New Jersey and have a 20 month old daughter named Kaelin. I am studying biology at the University of Utah. I am excited and really enjoyed Memphis in my visit. I also had a few other interviews but the clinic at SCO and admissions staff at SCO were so great compared to the other schools I applied to. We found an apartment out in a suburb of Memphis called Bartlett, so that's where we are going to live. If anyone's curious to know more, feel free to contact me.

SCO has a site for the entering class to send messages, make sure you check it out, sometimes people don't realize it's available. But it will help you learn some things about your classmates before you get to meet them.

Great idea for the new thread. My name is Cole Smart, and i'm excited about starting up in Memphis in 06'. I'm from the University of Kansas and 21 years old. I'm not quite sure about housing options yet, and all that jazz --- but i'm hoping to figure out the details pretty soon. Anyone else headed to SCO feel free to shoot me a message as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying to SCO for 2007. I've heard a lot of students live on Mud Island. How does everyone feel about SCO switching to semesters from quarters? It looks like they'll be requiring summer classwork now too.

sco1styear said:
SCO has a site for the entering class to send messages, make sure you check it out, sometimes people don't realize it's available. But it will help you learn some things about your classmates before you get to meet them.
I wish the SCO sharepoint boards were like SDN. Sharepoint sucks to be honest.

stevec said:
I wish the SCO sharepoint boards were like SDN. Sharepoint sucks to be honest.

Get used to using it...it doesn't suck that bad :D

sco1styear said:

I am aware that SCO has a similar thing, but it is not accesible to non-SCO students and it is not up and running for 1st years yet. Part of my point was to help those who may be undecided on where they are going or where they want to apply. Anyway, I don't think changing to semesters will be a big deal because that's all I've ever done anyway, so going to quarters would be more of a change for me.

I found my roommates on sharepoint. I was the first post! I think after everybody found some roommates people just kind of started ignoring the general chit chat board. It's come in handy for discussing school stuff, especially optics. The professor will answer questions on the discussion board, so everyone can get the questions and answers.

My name is Joy.
Currently 26, will be 27 when I enter SCO in '06.
Tennessee student - live near Knoxville.
Married - no children. Husband is teacher (band director).
Undergrad degree was Music Ed. Have spent last 3 years with pre-reqs.
Husband and I in Air National Guard Band in Knoxville - I sing and play Horn (a.k.a. French horn); he is a trombonist and runs the sound board.
Excited to be at SCO and excited to meet my fellow classmates!

My name is Ryan
I'll (most likely) be the "old man" of the class...I'll be 37 when I start next fall.

I earned my B.S. degree in Mathematics from Washburn University in Topeka, KS in 1992. For the last 13 years, I've enjoyed a career in information technology (I.T.). For the better part of the last 3 years, I've successfully juggled my career at Sprint, attended night classes to complete all the Biology and Chemistry pre-optometry classes, and balanced the time demands of a young family.

I'm married (Tracey and I will celebrate our 8th anniversary in a few months), and we have two wonderful children ages 5 and 3.
We currently live in a small town in Kansas between Lawrence and Kansas City, and we're looking forward to moving to Memphis.

I'm grateful SCO accepted me into the class of 2010. I'm looking forward to attending SCO next year, and to meeting and working with my fellow classmates.

rkl_OD2be said:
My name is Ryan
I'll (most likely) be the "old man" of the class...I'll be 37 when I start next fall.

I earned my B.S. degree in Mathematics from Washburn University in Topeka, KS in 1992. For the last 13 years, I've enjoyed a career in information technology (I.T.). For the better part of the last 3 years, I've successfully juggled my career at Sprint, attended night classes to complete all the Biology and Chemistry pre-optometry classes, and balanced the time demands of a young family.

I'm married (Tracey and I will celebrate our 8th anniversary in a few months), and we have two wonderful children ages 5 and 3.
We currently live in a small town in Kansas between Lawrence and Kansas City, and we're looking forward to moving to Memphis.

I'm grateful SCO accepted me into the class of 2010. I'm looking forward to attending SCO next year, and to meeting and working with my fellow classmates.

Congratulations everyone who's made it in to SCO. It sounds like we will have a very fun and diverse class. Look forward to meeting you all. :clap:

my name is thunya (tonya). i'll be 23 when i start school at sco next year. i'm from florida. i graduated last spring at University of Florida with a Nutrition degree. i'll be looking for a roommie next year, but i'll wait until the sco website is up in february. i love cooking, dancing, painting....... i went to memphis for my interview last friday. i really liked the school and the staff were so nice. sunnie called me monday after to tell me i'm accepted :) memphis is pretty and got yummy bbqs! nice to meet everyone :)

k2r5t9 said:

:D :) :oops: :rolleyes: :p ;) :spam: :wow: ok u can officially call me a dork :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a couple of people currently in SCO 2nd year. I am thinking about going there myself in the future.
Hope to see you guys there.

eye_candie said:
memphis is pretty and got yummy bbqs! nice to meet everyone :)
The Barbecue Shop on Madison (same street as school and not too far) is the best in Memphis from the few places I've tasted and hear-say. It is the BEST BARBECUE I've ever had. Delicious.

This is why Mud Island is a good place to live in Memphis:
70367293_93f5715e10.jpg

The park is pretty much a 5 minute walk from any apartment on the island.

Some more shots:
http://community.webshots.com/album/518257357rYZdWH

stevec said:
The Barbecue Shop on Madison (same street as school and not too far) is the best in Memphis from the few places I've tasted and hear-say. It is the BEST BARBECUE I've ever had. Delicious.

I'll second that :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

But, everyone should also try Rendezvous which is downtown mainly for nostalgia. Most anyone that's been to Memphis has eaten there and it is still really good.
Oh, and I love food so if anyone wants to know other good places to try or has a question about anywhere, just let me know :cool:

This is why Mud Island is a good place to live in Memphis...
We looked around Mud Island when I was visiting SCO. It is really nice. Are there any safe places to get groceries or go to Walmart near there though? It doesn't so much matter now, but it was something I was really curious about when I was researching schools.

Sorry, I guess I'm kind of taking things off-topic. Was just curious. ^_^;;

4Eyes said:
We looked around Mud Island when I was visiting SCO. It is really nice. Are there any safe places to get groceries or go to Walmart near there though? It doesn't so much matter now, but it was something I was really curious about when I was researching schools.

Good question
Absolutely, there's even a grocery store on mud island. It is a little higher priced and probably not where you want to shop for everything but it's nice if you just need a couple of things. there's also places close to the school that lots go to (schnucks).
Also, they just opened a medical clinic on the island too! (There's also a dry cleaning place, tanning/hair salon, movie rental and pizza place, and one other place to grab something to eat!) They're all conveniently located at the very first of the island.

i love food too. i went to rendezvous last month while i was up there for my interview. i like the way they cook their ribs, tender on the inside but a lil crispy on the outside. but they didn't have the sweeter bbq sauce that i like and i'm not a big fan of that seasoning they put on. do u know of any other bbq place that has the sweeter sauce and taste good? do they have any oriental grocery store around there???? that will be a big problem for me if they don't..haha btw, i went to look around mud island. it was so pretty. i really want to live there, but it's kinda pricey for me. is the downtown midtown area good? i have the apt guide, i should ask u about specific ones...but i'm at work and i dun remember them rite now except something called jefferson??

sco1styear said:
I'll second that :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

But, everyone should also try Rendezvous which is downtown mainly for nostalgia. Most anyone that's been to Memphis has eaten there and it is still really good.
Oh, and I love food so if anyone wants to know other good places to try or has a question about anywhere, just let me know :cool:

oh boy! makes me wish i had applied to SCO too! hahahaha! the school is great but the location is better! good luck to all those entering in 2006! :) :)

stevec said:

This is why Mud Island is a good place to live in Memphis:
70367293_93f5715e10.jpg

The park is pretty much a 5 minute walk from any apartment on the island.

Some more shots:
http://community.webshots.com/album/518257357rYZdWH

I was also accepted to SCO and am very very strongly considering it (especially since they just called me today with a scholarship! :) ) I still have interviews in my homestate of NY though, as well as PCO, so we'll see how those go!

Mud Island looks gorgeous- I would love to live there if I do attend and the prices aren't outrageous (compared to NYC though, anything is cheaper!) Unfortunately we tried to go at night and got lost (haha we ended up in Alabama), so I didn't actually get to see the apartments yet.

Anyway, does anyone know how far away it is to the nearest ski resort from SCO? I know it's the South and skiing will most likely be far away, but it's gonna kill me to not go skiing over the winter! :(

HazelEyes34 said:
I was also accepted to SCO and am very very strongly considering it (especially since they just called me today with a scholarship! :) ) I still have interviews in my homestate of NY though, as well as PCO, so we'll see how those go!

Mud Island looks gorgeous- I would love to live there if I do attend and the prices aren't outrageous (compared to NYC though, anything is cheaper!) Unfortunately we tried to go at night and got lost (haha we ended up in Alabama), so I didn't actually get to see the apartments yet.

Anyway, does anyone know how far away it is to the nearest ski resort from SCO? I know it's the South and skiing will most likely be far away, but it's gonna kill me to not go skiing over the winter! :(

Wow..congratulations!!!! You must have high stats. :)

I'm not sure about an oriental grocery store but I'm sure there's one around...you could probably mapquest it or just google it. Ok, I just mapquested and found one 2.83 miles away! :)
As far as prices, most downtown apt.'s are actually more expensive than mud island. The cheapest on mud island is riverset and it's pretty reasonable but they are also the oldest (17 years old). Oh, you mentioned Jefferson...I remember a lot of people talking about jefferson and so I went to look at them and didn't even go into the office bc they scared me and I decided I didn't want to live there. I think a couple of people from my class might have lived there the first year but I can't remember for sure and I don't remember anyone ever saying anything else about them. But it never hurts to go check them out yourself. Most everyone in my class (and the class above and below mine) call mud island home.
Sweeter bbq - I still say try the bbq shop on madison. I'm not sure if it's sweeter but I think you'll like it even if it's not.
Skiing...hum...still go skiing alot so it's not impossible but it is far away. I'm not sure where the closest ski resort would be...probably something you'll just have to research yourself.

Any more questions? :):):)

HazelEyes34 said:

What were your stats? I'm just curious because they were considering me for a scholarship too and I haven't heard anything yet. What was your OAT score and GPA? If you don't mind sharing. If you're uncomfortable posting in these in the forum could you pm them to me? Thanks

4Eyes said:

There seems to really be a lack of grocery stores nearby. There's Mrs. Cordelia's on Mud Island that's basically somewhere between an overly glorified convenience store and a real grocery store. It's kind of expensive. There's a Wal-Mart in West Memphis (across the bridge in Arkansas) where I do most of my grocery shopping. It's not too far.

k2r5t9 said:
What were your stats? I'm just curious because they were considering me for a scholarship too and I haven't heard anything yet. What was your OAT score and GPA? If you don't mind sharing. If you're uncomfortable posting in these in the forum could you pm them to me? Thanks

My OAT was 350TS/350AA (360 QR, 370 RC, 330 Bio, 340 Gen Chem, 350 Orgo, and 330 Physics). I think my OAT helped a lot, because my gpa is only a 2.88. However, they did tell me when they called that they also take into account the school that the gpa comes from Since I attend a highly competitive school (#34 in the country, I believe?), they more or less weigh it more.

They just called me this afternoon to offer it to me, and said as long as my gpa at SCO stays about a 3.0 each year, I will continue to receive it.

congrats on the acceptance and scholarship! well done! if you don't mind me asking, what is the amount of the scholarship per year? :) :thumbup:

HazelEyes34 said:
My OAT was 350TS/350AA (360 QR, 370 RC, 330 Bio, 340 Gen Chem, 350 Orgo, and 330 Physics). I think my OAT helped a lot, because my gpa is only a 2.88. However, they did tell me when they called that they also take into account the school that the gpa comes from Since I attend a highly competitive school (#34 in the country, I believe?), they more or less weigh it more.

They just called me this afternoon to offer it to me, and said as long as my gpa at SCO stays about a 3.0 each year, I will continue to receive it.

ariel winter said:
congrats on the acceptance and scholarship! well done! if you don't mind me asking, what is the amount of the scholarship per year? :) :thumbup:

Not a problem at all (I've been getting lots of pm's about this too, not that I mind!) It's for $2,000/year for all 4 years. Since I'm from out-of-state, this definitely helps!

Congratulations! What school do you go to?
I had my interview at SCO yesterday 1/6/05. The people at the school are very friendly, I hope I will get in, since my GPA is low also.

HazelEyes34 said:

so have u decided which school you're going to go to yet?

HazelEyes34 said:
Not a problem at all (I've been getting lots of pm's about this too, not that I mind!) It's for $2,000/year for all 4 years. Since I'm from out-of-state, this definitely helps!

rkl_OD2be said:
My name is Ryan

Actually, UMSL offered me a scholarship that is too good to pass on. I'll be attending UMSL next year.

Best wishes to everyone as they start their first year, regardless of which school you'll attend. :)

a small question to those moving to Memphis or living there right now...
is furniture usually included in apartment leases?

3eb4me said:
a small question to those moving to Memphis or living there right now...
is furniture usually included in apartment leases?

No

Hey Guys-

What do you guys think my chances are of getting into SCO?

I interviewed on Jan 6, 2006, and the interview went pretty well.
My GPA is 2.94 ( hopefully that will go up after this Quarter), I go UCSD, My OAT SCORE was 330.

I have alot with a Vision therapy Optometrist for 6 months, and interned for 2 private practice optometrists for the past 2 years. I am also secretary of Insight Pre-Optometry Club and Co-Vice President of vision Screenings of Unite for Sight.
I also have been working part time as a Receptionist for a Psychiatry office for the past three years.

SCO has received all of my documents, and finally received the Advisor reccomendation letter. Please let me know what you think and any words of encouragement would be gladly accepted! :p
-loan

What made you guys choose SCO. I got into NOVA and SCO and I am debatin b/w the 2. Any suggestions?

k2r5t9 said:

Hey Everyone! I'm really excited about starting at SCO Fall of '06. :D I'll be 22 when I start at SCO. I'm from Orlando, FL. I've been at University of Florida for my undergrad; I'll be graduating in Spring of '06 with a degree in Psychology. Can't wait to meet all of you!

eye_candie said:
my name is thunya (tonya). i'll be 23 when i start school at sco next year. i'm from florida. i graduated last spring at University of Florida with a Nutrition degree. i'll be looking for a roommie next year, but i'll wait until the sco website is up in february. i love cooking, dancing, painting....... i went to memphis for my interview last friday. i really liked the school and the staff were so nice. sunnie called me monday after to tell me i'm accepted :) memphis is pretty and got yummy bbqs! nice to meet everyone :)

hey my name is jeannie, i saw your post and decided to reply. i may be looking for a roommate; don't know if i'm living alone or not. i saw you graduated from UF, i'll be graduating in spring. Wanted to see if you were still looking for a roommie?

hi jeannie,

nice to meet u girl. yay another floridian...and will be a UF graduate also. yeah i still need a roommie, cuz i haven't looked yet LOL i haven't really gone to look at apts either. i only saw a few on mud island when i went up for an interview in december. hey are u asian? i wonder if i know u or seen u around before.

hey i got into nova and sco too and cancelled all of my other interviews. the reason i picked sco mostly because their clinic really impressed me. it's the largest clinic in the nation and it's only 3 yrs old. their facility looked really organized. i didn't really like that nova's equipments were all cram in that one little room (main campus) i didn't go see the other ones so i don't know. the staff and the student that gave me the tour at SCO were very nice and helpful. i've gotten so many congrats letters, post card, phone calls from their staff and students. after i went on the tour with my mom i knew this was where i wanted to go. i just felt like home at SCO. the town, memphis was alrite for me. it's pretty esp near the mississippi river though. i'm just going to school there for 4 yrs to get the best education. so it's not like i have to live there after that. it'll be funnie if i end up staying there :laugh: anyways u should know what ur looking for in a school and figure out what's most important to you. what's important to me doesn't necessarily mean it will be important to you. i've been in florida forever and i just want to go explore other places. who knows maybe i really like florida and want to practice here and just didn't know it. if u have any other question just pm me

orion771 said:
What made you guys choose SCO. I got into NOVA and SCO and I am debatin b/w the 2. Any suggestions?

eye_candie said:
hi jeannie,

nice to meet u girl. yay another floridian...and will be a UF graduate also. yeah i still need a roommie, cuz i haven't looked yet LOL i haven't really gone to look at apts either. i only saw a few on mud island when i went up for an interview in december. hey are u asian? i wonder if i know u or seen u around before.

hey ;) yeah i'm asian, i wonder if i've seen you around too ;) where are you now? since you graduated you still up at uf or back home? i'm probably going during spring break to look at apts.

My name is Jean and I'll be 22 when we start in August. I am a biology major and will be graduating from the Univ of Arkansas in May. I just recently found this forum, but I wish I would've found it sooner! Everyone's posts about interviews and everything would have really helped me along the way...but anyways...SCO was my first choice, so I am really excited about starting in the fall! I am looking forward to meeting you all!

k2r5t9 said:

I actually live only about an hour away from Memphis, and so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Anyways, I thought you'd be happy to know that right around the corner from SCO there is a strip with 3 or 4 asian markets =)

eye_candie said:
...do they have any oriental grocery store around there???? that will be a big problem for me if they don't..haha...

jean_vy said:
My name is Jean and I'll be 22 when we start in August. I am a biology major and will be graduating from the Univ of Arkansas in May. I just recently found this forum, but I wish I would've found it sooner! Everyone's posts about interviews and everything would have really helped me along the way...but anyways...SCO was my first choice, so I am really excited about starting in the fall! I am looking forward to meeting you all!

Congrats on getting accepted!

oh cool, thanx girl:)

jean_vy said:
I actually live only about an hour away from Memphis, and so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. Anyways, I thought you'd be happy to know that right around the corner from SCO there is a strip with 3 or 4 asian markets =)

jean_vy said:

hooray for asian markets! I cant live without rice and asian food...
*claps*

they told me sometime in february.

blazenmadison said:
My name is Gene, and I will graduate this May from James Madison University. I'm originally from VA Beach. I will be 22 when I enter SCO in the fall. I will also be looking for a roommate. Does anyone know when we will access to Sharepoint? Thanks and hopefully I can meet all of you in the fall!

does anyone know what the switch from quarters to semesters is gonna entail? i know its gonna be in the 2006-2007. how would that affect our curriculum and breaks?

eyes28 said:
does anyone know what the switch from quarters to semesters is gonna entail? i know its gonna be in the 2006-2007. how would that affect our curriculum and breaks?

I'm not sure about curriculum but one thing I know is that usually our christmas break is in the middle of a quarter. This will change, thank goodness! The tentative breakdown is going to be from end of december to mid-april, mid-april to ?, and ? to december.
Also, your fourth year you will go on externs for two of the "semesters", meaning you will be there ~15wks instead of 12. This is supposed to be a plus because you will have more time to learn after you are "adjusted" to the new environment. My class (2008) will be the first to have it this way so we'll see how it goes!

Hi,
My name is Amanda and I will start SCO in the fall! I am 22 and will graduate this May with a Biology Degree from the University of New Orleans! I can't wait to meet everyone.
;)

blazenmadison said:
Does anyone know why we are required to be vaccinated against poliovirus? The US is certified as poliofree. Is there any way we can opt out of it? The CDC states that 1 out of 2.5 million doses of sabin will result in paralytic polio. I know that seems rare, but people do win the lottery every day. And for the first dose of OPV, 1 out of 790,000 doses will result in polio.
They absolutely require it, it's basically for when you are in the clinic, they want to make sure you don't catch anything the patients may have.
If you went to public school you should have had it done before you started elementary school. I had to call my old high school to get my shot record of it so I didn't have to get another one.