SCO Interview/Visit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecgrblue

Enjoyin' the journey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was out at SCO this weekend and just wanted to put it out in the open how welcoming and friendly that school is (faculty, staff, and students). I was absolutely blown away with the entire feel of the place. The clinic seemed very busy, but was it was apparently a slow day.

They moved up a couple spots on my list of where to attend.

Got some BBQ at Corky's as well....changed my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to mention SCO has a good population of LDS students there. Did you go down to Southhaven to see where they all live?

I opened my door Friday in the middle of my exam to go talk to my staff doc and there was a huge tour group right outside with Dr. Venable, I wonder if you were in there. :D

A lot of us have always wondered why there are so many LDS students at SCO. Does anyone know? And not all of them live in Southhaven, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably was! I think I'm the only of everyone interviewing that day that didn't have their parents with them. The group was pretty big and we kept getting in the way, hah.

You make it sound like Southaven is the LDS zoo, haha. I stayed down in Southaven with a 1st year. They're not all down there, but there is a fair amount. There are some really nice complexes out there with very reasonable rent which makes it very appealing especially when your roommate is your wife and you can't split the rent bill. Not to mention the commute is really easy and after driving out east and then north I can say I'd totally prefer N. Mississippi if I were out in the suburbs. Traffic was a breeze which was totally not the story on Poplar going east.

The VP of Student Services talked with me for a while and totally mentioned the amount of of LDS students (about 10% I gathered). He said they've got some theories why and I could come up with a few myself. If you really cared you can PM me, hahah

the LDS zoo, hahaha. Too funny. Yeah, northern Mississippi is nice! I live in Cordova, but I take Sam Cooper to school. Poplar would take me like an hour probably, with all the lights and traffic. I do know people who live out here off of Poplar and they say the drive is terrible. But where I'm at, it's fine.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about SCO. :) Congrats on your interview!

A student who is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or better known as Mormon.

I live in Cordova, too.. :thumbup:

Yeahhh Cordova ftw!! I love thinking of what I'm going to eat for lunch/dinner during my drive home/to school. If I didn't have that 15-20 minutes to just sit and think everyday, I might go crazy...and possibly hungry....

Hi there. I know there are a billion of these threads, but since we're already talking about where you guys live, I thought I'd ask for more updated answers. :) I'm going to SCO in the fall and when I interviewed it seemed like most students lived out on Mud Island. I'm just wondering, what made you guys choose Cordova instead?

Mud Island smells at night for some reason.

:p Nooo, that's not why. Though it is true.

There's a TON more stuff out in Cordova. The Walmart (x2), the costco, the target (x2), the Sam's Club, the mall, FOOOOD, errrrrvrythaaaang is out there. The students who live on mud island often have to make a biweekly trip out to either Cordova or South haven to do their bulk shopping. They have a little food place called Miss Cordelia's on the island, but it's a bit expensive and generally not economical if you're trying to stock your kitchen. Just good if you randomly want a box of Mac n Cheese on the way home from the airport at 10pm, but it turns out you forgot the keys to your house and have to stay at a friend's house on the island who has no food until your other roommates get back to let you inside the house.

Also, my roommate FB messaged me once and said "I have a room, it's the master. Has its own bathroom and walk in closet. Want it?" And i said "YES". It kind of fell into my lap and I was kind of too lazy to look any further. The prices can be cheaper than the island depending on where you live (apartment vs house vs # of roommates).