SCO or IUSO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeloveeyes225

Reaction score
Hi! I am trying to decide between SCO and IUSO, does anyone have insight? I loved the program at SCO but I'm a bit iffy about Memphis as a city. IU is closer to home and I still liked the program but not as much, but I could see myself fitting in at both schools. Please help with any opinions and info!

Members don't see this ad.

Genuinely in the same boat, currently choosing between the two programs! Whichever we choose, we'll be great optometrists one day, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Both are great schools, and both have good boards passage rates to boot. I know many doctors who would prefer the public schools over private schools for cost as well as name affiliation. Although Southern's boards rates are higher, you may have to defend yourself more when patients ask you what "Southern" is. Everyone will know what Indiana is, and that goes for OMDs as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to make my decision in the next 5 days, although I'm leaning towards one of the programs. Sadly that program is way more expensive.

Hey there. I'm a first year student at SCO and honestly the city isn't as bad as you think (then again I'm originally from New Orleans which has a similar vibe so who knows). It really just depends on the area you're in, but while you're at school you're definitely in good hands! The security around the school is pretty good and they definitely look out for you and help you any way they can. While the city itself may not be the prettiest in some areas I've never felt unsafe to the point I was fearing for my life or anything like that. There's plenty of good areas in the city that you can venture around and live in if you decide to attend SCO. I don't know much about the other program but I think it's false that you'll have to "defend" your choice of school. It's probably either a regional or personal opinion. Where I'm from SCO was highly regarded and I actually applied since it was recommended to me by several people. I know some people actually prefer schools like SCO that is strictly for optometry and not connected to a larger school. It's all preference. If there's any specific parts about the student life as a first year you'd like to know about feel free to ask me.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there. I'm a first year student at SCO and honestly the city isn't as bad as you think (then again I'm originally from New Orleans which has a similar vibe so who knows). It really just depends on the area you're in, but while you're at school you're definitely in good hands! The security around the school is pretty good and they definitely look out for you and help you any way they can. While the city itself may not be the prettiest in some areas I've never felt unsafe to the point I was fearing for my life or anything like that. There's plenty of good areas in the city that you can venture around and live in if you decide to attend SCO. I don't know much about the other program but I think it's false that you'll have to "defend" your choice of school. It's probably either a regional or personal opinion. Where I'm from SCO was highly regarded and I actually applied since it was recommended to me by several people. I know some people actually prefer schools like SCO that is strictly for optometry and not connected to a larger school. It's all preference. If there's any specific parts about the student life as a first year you'd like to know about feel free to ask me.

I decided on SCO! Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user