SCO vs. NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

97kitkat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am having a really hard time deciding between SCO and NECO.

SCO: I really loved the facilities and how passionate the faculty seemed about the students. The NBEO rates are amazing and the eye clinic was beautiful and state-of-the-art, as well as the classrooms and lab rooms. My concerns are the location, it doesn't seem like Memphis has a lot to do close by and I'm concerned about safety. Because I'm from New England I'm also worried the resources that are on campus like the Hayes Center won't have as many opportunities for me. And obviously being so far away from home won’t be easy.

NECO: I love love Boston, it's beautiful, convenient and there's so much to do. The classrooms weren't as impressive but the new eye clinic center is really nice and up-to-date with new technology. I do like that it has a huge clinic network, and Boston is a hub for technology and medical innovations. As well, it's close to home and I feel I will have more connections and opportunities because of that. I'm a little concerned because of the laws in MA for optometrists and how that would affect my education. It's NBEO rates aren’t as good as SCO's and I didn’t get that same sense of passion from the faculty.

There are pros and cons to both, obviously I want to get the best education but I also want a good support system. Location, academics (NBEO rates included), and social life are big components. I keep going back and forth and can't make a decision.

Can anyone offer any insight? If you're an incoming student/current student/alumni from either school, any pros/cons? Why you/why to chose one over the other? Really any advice and insight on experience would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a significant difference in cost for you? I did not apply to NECO so I do not know about it. But, from reading your 2 paragraphs, it seems like you would prefer NECO.

Is there a significant difference in cost for you? I did not apply to NECO so I do not know about it. But, from reading your 2 paragraphs, it seems like you would prefer NECO.
NECO would be more expensive (tuition/cost of living). Of course I'd want to graduate with less debt, and while cost does play in with my decision it's not the major deciding factor for me.

I guess I'm afraid that I'll regret passing up on SCO's amazing facilities and faculty but on the flip side I'd regret passing up Boston and the connections. So I'm in a pickle.

Members don't see this ad :)
SCO security is omnipresent in their lots,which are no more than directly across the street from campus.Lots of students live and WALK to/fro campus to their apartment without issue .

Memphis has “enough” IMO,as your time will be limited due to the training program.

Your four years will pass quickly and I personally would give up a little convenience of Boston for my best chance at passing boards and disease encounters ,with a lower cost I may add.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in the same boat (deciding between SCO and NECO). I picked SCO, and I could not be happier with my decision. It is true that there is more to do in Boston, but honestly, I decided it would be better to pick a place where I wouldn't have as much fomo/pressure to go out and do fun things all the time since I knew I'd have to spend most of my time studying. Plus the cost of living is significantly cheaper. With that being said, there is still plenty to do in Memphis, and I am never bored. Regarding safety, most students live in apartments on Mud Island which is a safe area and beautiful/right by the river. As the person previously said, there is security at the school 24/7. There is no doubt that the facilities and education/professors here are top notch, which is what really swayed me into choosing SCO. The faculty's passion for the students is not a facade - they really want us all to succeed. Also from what I can remember, NECO doesn't have a resource like the Hayes Center. Let me know if you have any other questions about SCO!

Reactions: 1 users
I was in the same boat (deciding between SCO and NECO). I picked SCO, and I could not be happier with my decision. It is true that there is more to do in Boston, but honestly, I decided it would be better to pick a place where I wouldn't have as much fomo/pressure to go out and do fun things all the time since I knew I'd have to spend most of my time studying. Plus the cost of living is significantly cheaper. With that being said, there is still plenty to do in Memphis, and I am never bored. Regarding safety, most students live in apartments on Mud Island which is a safe area and beautiful/right by the river. As the person previously said, there is security at the school 24/7. There is no doubt that the facilities and education/professors here are top notch, which is what really swayed me into choosing SCO. The faculty's passion for the students is not a facade - they really want us all to succeed. Also from what I can remember, NECO doesn't have a resource like the Hayes Center. Let me know if you have any other questions about SCO!
Thanks for the feedback! I really loved everything about SCO, I just wish it was closer to home, it's definitely going to be a tough decision.

Are you from the New England area too?

I didn't apply to SCO, but I did apply, get accepted to, and am likely going to be attending NECO next year. A few things I love about NECO:

New Clinic/Clinical Training Center - I really like that they have all the major brands of phoropters/slit lamps so you will be comfortable on any device at extrernships or when you graduate.

Location - Boston itself is a city I've fallen in love with, and you can't beat that it's in Back Bay of all neighborhoods. Super safe and absolutely beautiful. The large amount of clinical connections also opens a ton of doors. Boston is also easy to travel into/out of (unless you're driving when the sun is up, lol).

Education quality - While SCO does have fantastic board pass rates, NECO's are still definitely pretty good. They are one of the few schools to use cadavers and start clinical experiences year 1, which I think is really important. As long as board pass rates are relatively close, I would say your chances of passing boards are more based on you and your academic preparedness/clinical skills, i.e. there's only so much the school can do.

Intangibles - Every time I call NECO, someone answers. Anytime I emailed Admissions, someone answered. I felt cared about and recruited to go to NECO. Every other school I've noticed has not been the same -- not answering calls or emails. For me, this was the ultimate indicator that they care about their students. During my interview, the faculty member also said the new President of the school is all about forward-thinking and looking to the future of optometry. She stated he is in the process of meeting with every single faculty member to figure out what NECO can be doing better.

I'm a bit biased, but hope you choose wherever makes you the happiest!
Maybe see you at NECO next year :)

Reactions: 1 users
Do not let Memphis fool you, there's a lot to do around here and it's constantly changing! As per safety, I've never felt more unsafe here as I have other places I've lived. Trust me, you will not regret your decision to go SCO.