SCO vs NOVA vs UAB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometry9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been accepted into SCO and NOVA and am interviewing at UAB very soon. I was just hoping to get opinions of students who go to any of these schools or who know about the schools in order help me make this decision. Are the first two years at one school much more difficult than at the other schools? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I am a current third year at SCO so I thought I’d offer some insight! Optometry school is going to be difficult no matter where you go, and SCO is no exception. The curriculum is vigorous and they start you on learning clinical skills in your first week. However, everything has a purpose and they truly graduate outstanding docs! All of the classes are taught by optometrists, so even a general anatomy class will have an optometric perspective which is invaluable. Also, the outpouring of support from professors and peers is outstanding, and I always felt like the school and my classmates were rooting for me. There is a profound sense of community that has really allowed me to grow as a student and clinician. Additionally, the city of Memphis is a great place to be a grad student as it is very affordable and there is so much to do! It definitely is an up-and-coming city and so much fun to explore with classmates. I know this can be an overwhelming time, but follow your gut and don’t make the decision based on the location of the school, choose based on the program. It was a hard choice, but I have never regretted my decision to attend SCO!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey!

I am a current third year at SCO so I thought I’d offer some insight! Optometry school is going to be difficult no matter where you go, and SCO is no exception. The curriculum is vigorous and they start you on learning clinical skills in your first week. However, everything has a purpose and they truly graduate outstanding docs! All of the classes are taught by optometrists, so even a general anatomy class will have an optometric perspective which is invaluable. Also, the outpouring of support from professors and peers is outstanding, and I always felt like the school and my classmates were rooting for me. There is a profound sense of community that has really allowed me to grow as a student and clinician. Additionally, the city of Memphis is a great place to be a grad student as it is very affordable and there is so much to do! It definitely is an up-and-coming city and so much fun to explore with classmates. I know this can be an overwhelming time, but follow your gut and don’t make the decision based on the location of the school, choose based on the program. It was a hard choice, but I have never regretted my decision to attend SCO!
OptometryEK... Is the curriculum doable for someone who has not been a straight A student? Also, if I have a self-diagnosed slow nystagmus, do you think that will interfere with my studies?