SCO vs. SCCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aladdinboy12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion what do you believe is the difference between SCO and SCCO? Are there any advantages/disadvantages towards attending either school? Both schools have a great reputation and excellent facilities and I am stuck deciding between the two. If anyone could share their opinion I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Tuition. If you feel like you would be equally satisfied at both, then choose the school that will leave you less in debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition. If you feel like you would be equally satisfied at both, then choose the school that will leave you less in debt.

I agree, and I also think you should consider which location you would feel the most comfortable residing in for the next four years.

Tuition and location are definitely important.

You should also visit each school and see which one fits you better. Also, talk to the students and ask how they're doing. Are they happy to be there? What do they like and not like about the school? Can you see yourself happy there?

1. Tuition
2. COST OF LIVING

And, definitely take the advice of another poster and talk to students at both schools!! I think that'll help you a lot. Good luck!

In your opinion what do you believe is the difference between SCO and SCCO? Are there any advantages/disadvantages towards attending either school? Both schools have a great reputation and excellent facilities and I am stuck deciding between the two. If anyone could share their opinion I would appreciate it.

Just out of curiosity, where are you from aladdinboy?

I have the same precise problem. I have been accepted to both schools. I felt very good at SCO, and not so much at SCCO, but still both have very nice facilities and reputations... very good board passage rates. I've deposited at both schools, and have until March to get a refund from either one or the other.

TUITION:
SCO: 22,000
SCCO: 27,000

COST OF LIVING:
SCO: $500 - $800 monthly rent (cheaper if you share an apt)
SCCO: $1000 - $1600 monthly rent (cheaper if you share)

SCO has given me a $5,000/yr scholarship.
SCCO won't announce scholarships until next Aug.
Since I'm from Utah, I could get a $15,000 per year discount on SCCO, but that won't be announced until next May, after the March refund for my deposits.

Keley: when do you accept the seat/hear about your scholarship from sco?

aladdinboy,

I just received the following private message from a 4th year SCCO student. Here's what he said that you might want to consider:

"hey; as a 4th year scco student just wanted to let you know that if i was in your shoes i would go to sco not scco.... its much cheaper at sco and i believe you get a better education there (based on talking to and meeting students from other schools throughout academy/optometrys meeting and outreach.

"scco has had some major problems in the last couple years including losing some of the top professors, decreasing boards pass rates (the latest pass rate for part 1 was like 71 percent or something like that), difficulties with outreach sites and administration.

"i was able to get thru the program just fine, but about 10-15% of the class will drop back a year, which will cost you another 26k in tuition (and increasing every year). i also have wiche which is what i assumer you are talking about for utah, but its not really worth it in the long run.
just something to think about from someone who has been thru it..."

Keley: when do you accept the seat/hear about your scholarship from sco?

I assume you would like to know how long after my interview I was offered a scholarship?

I interviewed the first week of October. They called me to let me know I was accepted the following Monday. It was 2-3 weeks after that that they called me to inform me I was given the $5,000 endowed scholarship.

I had:
10 hrs shadowing OD (private practice, commercial practice and ODs employed by an opthalmologist at a lasik center)
40+ service hours --- vision related
3.96 college GPA
360 OAT

"i was able to get thru the program just fine, but about 10-15% of the class will drop back a year, which will cost you another 26k in tuition (and increasing every year). i also have wiche which is what i assumer you are talking about for utah, but its not really worth it in the long run.

10-15% is a LOT. I'm not sure if he means throughout all four years or just after the first year though... Megan, wherever you are, how many people has your class lost? I think the current second years lost 2 or 3 people.

I don't know much about SCCO since I didn't want to go there, but if you are already guaranteed a nice scholarship from SCO plus the lower cost of living/tuition... I think that would be the wiser choice (saying this from an unbiased point of view!).

You forgot my H...

My class has lost 5 people total. We haven't lost anyone since first year.

aladdinboy,

I just received the following private message from a 4th year SCCO student. Here's what he said that you might want to consider:

"hey; as a 4th year scco student just wanted to let you know that if i was in your shoes i would go to sco not scco.... its much cheaper at sco and i believe you get a better education there (based on talking to and meeting students from other schools throughout academy/optometrys meeting and outreach.

"scco has had some major problems in the last couple years including losing some of the top professors, decreasing boards pass rates (the latest pass rate for part 1 was like 71 percent or something like that), difficulties with outreach sites and administration.

Thanks for the message KeyeL. Its good to hear from another student's perspective, especially one who has gone through the entire program. I was hoping to get a scholarship similar to yours, but you beat me out with that awesome gpa lol. Congrats!

You forgot my H...

My class has lost 5 people total. We haven't lost anyone since first year.

CRAP, sorry!!!!!! I swear I knew there was supposed to be one!! :D

all i can say is wow!

aladdinboy,

I have the same precise problem. I have been accepted to both schools. I felt very good at SCO, and not so much at SCCO, but still both have very nice facilities and reputations... very good board passage rates. I've deposited at both schools, and have until March to get a refund from either one or the other.

TUITION:
SCO: 22,000
SCCO: 27,000

COST OF LIVING:
SCO: $500 - $800 monthly rent (cheaper if you share an apt)
SCCO: $1000 - $1600 monthly rent (cheaper if you share)

SCO has given me a $5,000/yr scholarship.
SCCO won't announce scholarships until next Aug.
Since I'm from Utah, I could get a $15,000 per year discount on SCCO, but that won't be announced until next May, after the March refund for my deposits.

I live on Mud Island by myself for 779. My complex is gated and we have pretty good amenities. The same apartment would cost at least 1000 at home.

I think SCO is a wise choice. :thumbup:

I got accepted to SCO and SCCO but I am not sure which school to choose. Can anyone who has previously or is currently attending either of these programs give me some pros and cons about the school, environment, and student life? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!

I am also deciding between SCO and SCCO. Could someone give me an up-to-date opinion on which is a better school? I would like to remain out west to practice..should I pick SCCO for the connections I will make? I am going through the army so cost is not really an issue (only have to pay one year)..Any current/past students wanting to share their experiences would be much appreciated.