hmarie224

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Memphis, TN
Status
Optometry Student
I already posted this on the other forum, but didn't seem to get any responses for some reason. Can any of you help me out here?
I was wondering exactly what it is like living in Memphis. I have been reading a lot about how the city has a really high crime rate and is really racially divided right now. SCO is one of my top choices that I will be applying to in the fall, but I currently live in Detroit and I definitely do not want to move somewhere that is going to be like Detroit. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure that these next 4 years will be good!

sniklegem

My pupils: o O
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Status
Optometrist
I was going to reply on the other thread but I couldn't come up with a way to say Memphis sucks but it isn't that bad in one sentence. I guess I just did.

I've never been to Detroit. I can't give you an equal comparison, but I will say Memphis isn't that bad... again. Would you rather choose New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, St. Louis or Columbus? Hahaha, I think it is a requirement that in order to have an optometry school the city's crime rate must be in the top 10% in the nation. I kid, I kid. But you aren't going to be running in the ghetto at midnight by yourself. You'll be living in a safe neighborhood (mud island, cordova, southaven, etc), staying at school all the time, and going downtown to laugh at all the tourists. There have been some instances of people being mugged, but these are isolated. To be honest, I heard of more people getting mugged in my college town than here in Memphis. Stay out of the ghetto (except when you head to school screenings during your second year :)) and you should be just fine. ALMOST 2 years down and I have never felt unsafe in Memphis.
PM me if you need more feedback. I know I rambled, but it's close to finals week. Ugh.