Sco

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M281384

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to hear from some students who go to SCO currently, the pros/cons of the school and area. Also the cost of living. I was also wondering if every single second year student is automatically in-state for tuition or not? Lastly, do students feel the school takes care of them (.e.g. is course load less during board exams, does the school do enough to help students with boards, is there a weed out feeling during the 1st and 2nd year, etc)

Thank you for your info! I'm trying to making a decision ASAP on schools. I'm down to UHCO, PCO, ICO, and SCO...

Members don't see this ad.

Although you have a thread basically identical to this in the pre opt forum I'll answer what I can. The cost of living, like I said previously, is quite a bit lower than most metropolitan areas in the US.
There are only around 5-10 in state contract seats (in state tuition seats) per year. The answer to your question is NO. There are people that are from TN that don't even get in state tuition rates.
Again, SCO had a 99% board pass rate last year. I recall them telling us that they have had only one student drop out in several years, and that was due to unwise habits outside the classroom. I believe they do everything they can to assist students that require a little extra help.

I see.... so I am looking at SCO tuition I should consider it as 25K all four years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go ahead and plan with those figures (26.3k/year really). Remember that is only for non-regional tuition. Not living expenses, etc. I would still check with them to see if you are eligible for any other types of scholarships, including instate tuition (depends on what state you're from).

So is instate tuition something people compete for... i.e. do second years compete based on optometry school GPA for instate tuition? Also, does this issue occur with every state school? At SUNY would I also NOT have a guarantee of instate tuition after a year?

I am a current 2nd year at SCO. The state seats are completely dependent on your state. The state is the one funding these seats. So if your state funds seats at SCO (not all states do) then you will be eligible based on a first come first serve basis. For instance, if your state offers the "scholarship" to 3 students, then the first 3 that get accepted will receive it.

Cost of living is very reasonable. Obviously it depends on what part of town you live in. If you have a roommate, you can find something very easily.

Being a second year does not give you any kind of break on tuition.

The school is amazing. The coarse load is very reasonable while studying for boards and yes, they offer classes for studying for the boards. I would imagine every school puts a lot of effort into helping their students pass boards because that is the main way schools distinguish themselves is on passing rate.

They definitely do not try to weed out students, they do an excellent job of that during the process of getting accepted. We had 3 students fail out first year. School is not easy, but if you study hard you will be fine.

Hope that helps a little.