Scooby vs. Watcha

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can't withdraw...scooby already met you in person for an interview...This WILL become part of your application..and don't expect an acceptance now :(
ahah j/k :)

Members don't see this ad.

Praying4MD I'm not sure what you were implying...but um let's not go there. :eek:

Scoob scoob scoob - what an evening huh?! I had to laugh: SDN-enemies but AIM-best buddies at the same time. :) *mwah* Let me know when you get over to the big apple....you're so lucky. Can you um drop my name (and stats) at Mt. Sinai? :D

Yep elle, me too! People always tell me that I would make a great pediatrician (I wonder why they say that). Then I get told that I can't be a surgeon because I'm too sweet. Oh well.

People how do you do that quote thing? I know it's pathetic, as a "senior member" (it makes me sound so old!) I don't even know how to do it

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by E'01:
•Praying4MD I'm not sure what you were implying...but um let's not go there. :eek:
It was a joke people. Lighten up. :) And yes, that's exactly what I was implying. ;)

Thats the hard thing about posting online remarks...people can never tell whether you're joking or not. Praying4MD I was kidding with you too. :) G'night

Hey E'01,
How do you respond when people say that? Just curious, because I usually just nod and say maybe, but it's weird. Something I'm interested in is HIV treatment and prevention, setting up needle-exchange programs or other community outreach work, and I think that's definitely an option I'd like to explore...so it's weird when I tell people that and they're like "oh no, you'll be so good working with kids!" Maybe, I just don't know that yet! ah well, it probably has something to do with being short and sounding like TweetyBird (according to one of my patients this summer...sigh! hopefully people who don't watch cartoons wouldn't think that) :) :)

What are the reasons you're interested in Mount Sinai? I'm really curious, because I have an interview there but I don't know that much about the school... all I have found out so far is no student hosts for interviewees! :rolleyes:

It's all good though...have a good night everyone!

Originally posted by elle:
•Hey E'01,
How do you respond when people say that? Just curious, because I usually just nod and say maybe, but it's weird. •

Ooooh I did it. The quote thing! Hey Elle. I normally just say, oh really? "I love children but never thought of pediatrics" (although I have toyed with the idea, but I don't think I could manage the constant crying and apprehension by infants and kids...they don't exactly like going to the doctor) and then go onto talking about my interest in surgery. Plus, if I were to be a pediatrician, I'm sure I'd end up with back problems as the years go by: Being 6'1 I'd have to constantly bend down to examine my little patients for they'd certainly end with up with cricks in their necks from looking up at me. As for Mt. Sinai...I wish I could tell you more especially since I work here. But truthfully, I don't know much about the school either, except for the "it's a good school" comment made from a friend of mine who is a second-year med student there. The community is awesome though - very diverse although strikingly so. You cross over one main street and you're entering a super upscale Manhattan area and then the other side is completely different but I love the fact that both sides are so rich in their own culture and so you get to experience both.
:)

E'01,
Thanks for the info! I've only been to NYC once as a kid, so I am nervous about finding my way to Mount Sinai, but what you said sounds great! Sorry to turn you into the local Mount Sinai expert, but...is it crazy expensive to take a cab from the Amtrak station (I think it's called Penn) to the school? How long do you think it would take during morning rush hour?

Sorry for the naive questions. :D

Awwww,

I'm so :D that everyone reconciled their differences. It makes me so happy. Yeah, I know I'm being cheesy, but I feel like it, ok?! ;)

Hey Elle - absolutely no problem! Okay you don't want to take a cab...34th street (Penn Station) to 96th will cost a fortune. I would get an all day travel pass for $4 (unlimited bus and subway for the day - just in case you get lost, although I don't think you will). Hop on the Uptown E train from Penn. Get off at the Lexington Ave stop. You will get off the train and turn to your right and take the escalator upstairs. As soon as you get off, turn left. You'll be walking towards the Uptown 6 subway. Take that train and get off at 96th street. When you get out the subway station you'll be on East 96th...walk uphill to East 98th street and make a right. Walk I believe 3 blocks...you can't miss the hospital on the left. I'm not sure where you are supposed to go after that. Probably the admissions office. The guard at the front desk can direct you there. Good luck! Ohhh give yourself an hour and a half from Penn Station to Mount Sinai if you're traveling during rush hour. Also delays can occur...(just like this morning!)

Originally posted by E'01:
• Get off at the Lexington Ave stop. You will get off the train and turn to your right and take the escalator upstairs. •

Oopsie...make a LEFT and not a right. Sorry! TIP: When you board the E train, stay in the first front carriages, you'll be much closer to the escalator which is a big deal since the lex ave stop is always crowded with people (I"m what's the word...hmm sometimes over-precautious...bring an extra spare of hose if you plan on wearing them... you just never know what might happen during rush hour with everyone pushing trying to get somewhere). I'm gonna shutup now. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me

:)

Hey E'01,
you're awesome! You don't have an email address listed though, so I sent you a private message... I'm sure anyone else reading this thread is not nearly as interested in NYC travel as I am :)

Originally posted by pendulum:
•Awwww,

I'm so :D that everyone reconciled their differences. It makes me so happy. Yeah, I know I'm being cheesy, but I feel like it, ok?! ;)

Me, too!! :D :D Kind of reminds me of a family. ;)

Yeah, about the trains...

I was reading that first post when E'01 said make a right and I was like NOOOO...you're gonna end up at the east river!

But yeah, E'01 is totally right, the Lex stop on the E sucks complete ass--there is one single file that forms which leads to a really long esclator that everyone goes up because every new yorker is too lazy to climb 100 stairs!! If, however, you aren't lugging all of your suitcases and whatnot, you could easily take the stairs and circumvent the line...

Don't be afraid of NYC mass transit, it is completely and utterly navigable once you devote a few minutes to learning the system.

Here's the subway map in .PDF:
NYC Transit Map

The E train is one of the blue lines, and then the Lexington Ave. line (the only east side train) is in Green. From the stop on the E train remember that its a bit of a walk within the station to navigate your way to the 6 tracks--don't worry just follow the masses and they'll lead you to the lexington trains.

In case you get onto a lexington train at 86th street or 59th street, remember to get onto the 6 and not a 4,5 which are the express trains and will not stop at the E's lexington avenue stop.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you more! Just wait 'till your Columbia interview--they'll send you a little NYC subway map card, which I thought was really cool. Good luck in the best city in the world!

Oh and remember, you can check your email while waiting for your Sinai interviews--and they have little snacks too like bagels and coffee!

How do I get from 31 West 71st Street to Mt. Sinai??

I tried to call them and ask but they seemed to not even realize they were located in NEW YORK!

Also, how do I get from there to Columbia and Einstein?

Any help ? :)

Scoob...man you need to like go on a sightseeing tour or something, cause you're not learning! :D ;)

That address is between Columbus & Central Park West. Go to 72nd and CPW and get onto the m72 going EAST. I don't know if this bus stops at Lex on the east side, but I do know it stops at 65th and Madison. Get off there and walk up three blocks (68th) and then east two blocks. You should know you're at the right place because you'll be right in the midst of hunter college territory. Get onto the #6 and take this to 103rd street. Get off and go south three blocks and then west until you're right at the Mt. Sinai complex.

For Columbia:
Unfortunately unless you go downtown to Columbus circle, you can't take the 8th ave. express--A train--which is a really fast way of getting to Columbia. Too bad. Get onto the C train at 72nd and CPW and take this all the way to 168th & Broadway which is Washington Heights. Follow the throngs of hospital employees to P&S. There are also signs but you're basically there once off the subway.

As far as Einstein, I have no idea...sorry I've never been up there. I know somewhere there's a thread about an express bus that stops there, but I don't know what it is exactly. Sorry Scoob--hope this helps! :)

THanks man...

Tbone..you're a loser too...making me spend 100 bucks in philly...

Why can't I take the A train from where I am staying? It looks like the A train and C train are right next to each other. How much time will it take me from getting from this hotel to Columbia? Sinai?

Is the A really that much faster? :(

Here's my answer in simple question and answer format!

The A train is a lot faster .
Why?
Because its the express train.
Why is it the express train?
Because it only stops at the following: Canal St., W. 4th, 14th St, 34th-Penn St.,m 42nd St.-Port Authority, 59th-Columbus Circle, 125th St., 145th St., 155th, 163rd, 168th-Washington Heights, etc...

Unfortunately, there are no A stops between Columbus circle and 125th street. You could take the C train downtown one stop to 59th and then catch the A train. If you're going during rush hour, this may actually save you 5 minutes or so, but otherwise, it'll probably be a wash. The C train makes local stops, meaning it stops at every station no matter what.

If you take the C train uptown from 72nd., I think it'll take you about 30 minutes. If you try the shortcut, it may shave 5 minutes off this time.

Sinai will take longer because you have to wait for the bus, etc. I'd allot 45 minutes for this trip just to be on the safe side.