Scoop on midwest/east coast programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pipers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! I am a born and raised Californian but I'm ready to leave the sunny nest for residency. I go to a Californian school so most ppl going into peds at my school do not apply to midwest and east coast programs. Also, faculty here are predominantly trained in west coast/CA. So needless to say, no one really has a feel for programs not on the west coast. Help a girl out!

For those who are residents - what programs stuck out in your mind (good/bad/ugly) on the interview trail? Hidden gems?

For fellow MS4s applying this year to these programs - what programs are you looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hoping to go in the opposite direction--I'm currently in Virginia and hoping to go to back out west somewhere for residency.

But, I will be applying to my home institution (UVA), EVMS, VCU/MCV (PM me if you want some more info about the reputation of the Virginia programs here), and probably a couple other Southeast programs (Emory, UNC, Vanderbilt). One of my friends who just started residency in Oakland says UNC and Duke are really good programs based on what he's heard from classmates who have matched there. The residents I did my 3rd year rotation with realllly like St. Christopher's in PA.

Is there something specific you're looking for? Size? Reputation?

I was hoping you'd get some good answers to this, Pipers! I am headed back to the midwest too, and I am mainly looking at Southern Illinois University and U of Illinois--Peoria programs. I hope someone out there has some input!

I'm hoping to go in the opposite direction--I'm currently in Virginia and hoping to go to back out west somewhere for residency.

But, I will be applying to my home institution (UVA), EVMS, VCU/MCV (PM me if you want some more info about the reputation of the Virginia programs here), and probably a couple other Southeast programs (Emory, UNC, Vanderbilt). One of my friends who just started residency in Oakland says UNC and Duke are really good programs based on what he's heard from classmates who have matched there. The residents I did my 3rd year rotation with realllly like St. Christopher's in PA.

Is there something specific you're looking for? Size? Reputation?

Thanks mvenus! I will PM you.

I am interested in medium to large academic programs. I'm assuming that reputation follows the preceding points (maybe?). These also tend to be in bigger cities, which is preferable to me. I also don't know if I want a fellowship later down the line but I would not want to be limited if I decided to pursue this.