Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Scope of practice in India for a US DO

Discussion in 'India and South Asia' started by manannaik, Feb 20, 2007.

1. manannaik

manannaik Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I just had this question that I couldnt find an anwser to. I am still a newbie and starting out, but I did have the idea to come back to india for a few months every few years and practice, probably on a volunteer basis, it is home at the end of the day. But I had a question about if a DO can practice in india? and if so are there any special requirments? Say if someone was a US practicing DO, Has done a ACGME residency, Done USMLE and is board certified, is it possible to be recognized and practice in India?

2. kealaq

kealaq Child, Adolescent & Adult Psychiatrist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am not sure about being USMLE, ACGME, or board-certified & then working in India. But US doctors, both MD & DO, do medical mission volunteer work in India & Asia, so check into that volunteer route.

Check out the "AOA International License Summary" published March 2006. It may have some answers for your practicing as an osteopathic doctor in India or Canada: