Scorpion antidone (Anascorp): Pharmacy billing/ripoff in the news

Started by psychoandy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

psychoandy

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/20120831scorpion-sting-leaves-woman-big-bill.html

This article has been bouncing around the interwebs the past 3 days, reposted/reblogged, and is currently the primary example of how dumb/corrupt/outrageous the US healthcare system is. So far most places are attributing the charge to that particular hospital being at fault because its for-profit (no surprise there). Additionally, reading the article, it looks like she was out of network with some sort of 80%/20% coverage, but the 80% that the insurance paid should have EASILY covered the actual cost + some profit.

The more I think about it though, I'm sure people are going to end up asking questions like "why the hell is this particular pharmacy charging 10x AWP, and why are other hospitals charging 2-3x AWP". Pharmacy upcharging isn't anything new, I've seen plenty of anecdotes for $60 tylenols and whatnot, and every other hospital department does it too. What I really want to know is, why?

From what I understand from working 5+ years in health sytem pharmacy, the cost of giving a pt an IV med includes but is not limited to
  • actual acquisition cost (probably more than AWP)
  • some sort of pharmacy dispensing/IV admix charge to cover making it + distribution
  • IV line placement
  • IV pump & tubing, flushes, whatevs
  • the RN's time to actually give it

In any case, I can't imagine the actual cost would be even 2x AWP (for a drug that costs $3700/vial, assuming 1 vial = 1 dose). I understand that hospitals need to make money, pharmacists/techs and physical facility aren't cheap. And I vaguely remember that "cash" price for hospitalization is inflated due to lower negotiated insurance reimbursement based on artificial "cash" price, charity care, and etc. But does running an inpt pharmacy actually require charging 10x AWP on a high-cost item?

So I guess my question to any experts reading this (mainly Z or any other DOP/management type) is whether you can shed some light on this or whether this kind of stuff is determined by hospital finance types who have been creating spiraling healthcare costs. I probably shouldn't bite the hand that feeds me but I'm kind of sick of people not considering the immediate costs of overutilizing expensive drugs or future implications of ridiculous healthcare costs.
 
The overcharging just about anything happens to anyone who goes to hospital for extended period of time. Even if you have a good insurance, a $300-500k bill is not uncommon. A couple surgery here and there and boom you get hit with 20% of $500k = $100k bill easy on your part which WILL make you broke unless you are a ultra high net worth individual ($10M+).

Two pharmacists I know have cancer and got ridiculous bill even with insurance, they say it's really breaking their bank. Our health care personnel/service has the highest salary/cost in the world is a contributing problem. US health care services being ranked very poorly compare to other developed nations, I am going to India or Singapore if I ever need major surgery or extended hospital stay LOL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The overcharging just about anything happens to anyone who goes to hospital for extended period of time. Even if you have a good insurance, a $300-500k bill is not uncommon. A couple surgery here and there and boom you get hit with 20% of $500k = $100k bill easy on your part which WILL make you broke unless you are a ultra high net worth individual ($10M+).

Two pharmacists I know have cancer and got ridiculous bill even with insurance, they say it's really breaking their bank. Our health care personnel/service has the highest salary/cost in the world is a contributing problem. US health care services being ranked very poorly compare to other developed nations, I am going to India or Singapore if I ever need major surgery or extended hospital stay LOL

Except coinsurance is not a % of what the hospital bills. It's a % of your insurance company's allowable cost. And that is much, much less. My first hospitalization was about 60K, according to the hospital. But was I on the hook for 9K? No. More like 1000 bucks after insurance paid. And most plans have a maximum out of pocket expense that is set for a calendar year. I will be in the hospital in November and am not expecting to pay much coinsurance at all because I'm near the maximum out of pocket for this year already.