Scramble 2019/20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollo11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was unable to find a thread on this and I thought others could be interested in how fellowship scramble works.

I couldn't apply for the main match on time and I'm planning to scramble. I think large number of spots go unfilled every year and overall chances are good. I'm just not sure how scramble works. It doesn't seem to be a well written out process either or at least I couldn't find the right information. According to NRMP: "At 12:00 p.m ET on Match Day, unmatched applicants will be able to view the List of Unfilled Programs. Applicants should contact programs directly about applying for open positions. A List of Unmatched Applicants also is available for programs that do not fill all positions." So assuming one is registered for the match and gets the list of unfilled programs, it's all direct contact with the programs after that.

NRMP states that programs receive unmatched applicants list, do they have access to supporting documents as well? or should one have lors, ps etc ready to send to program upon request?
Is there anything you do through ERAS?
Should one plan to start calling programs as soon as the lists are out?
How does the interview work for scramble I guess it's over the phone/skype?

Anyone with any experience with this? Any tips /pearls?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there. I scrambled last year and ended up in a program that's exceeded all my expectations. This is how I remembered those 3 days of crazy.

Day of the match was a Wednesday. I found out I didn't get a spot at 10am my time and at that moment the NRMP released a list of unfilled spots. I can't remember the exact number, but like 30-40 spots or so available? I downloaded the list and cold called as many as I could just to get on their radars. I passed along my info to whomever I could, then waited. Later that day, I started hearing back from programs, some said "we full gl bro" others "we full u interested in our Geri program?", and a few others that could schedule me for a phone interview. Got a phone interview that evening after my residency clinic. It went well, but seeing that I hadn't applied there during the match process, they wanted me to send an application (with LORs, PS, CV, etc.) with ERAS to their program so they could get all my information. I heard of one person sending their application stuff via Interfolio during the scramble, but if a program is on ERAS, just do it through ERAS. It's less hassle for you and them.

The next day, I started getting emails from programs (and Geri programs too). One was a program I applied for but never heard back from during the interview season. I had a phone interview with the program director that evening and that went really well, so much so, I was offered the spot at the end of the interview. I told the director I needed a little time, so he let me talk with one of his fellows. After that, I was really set on this spot. Next morning, I'd get an email from the first program I interviewed at found out I was 3rd on their list, so I didn't get in. I called to accept the position I was offered the day before. And now I'm in HPM and I absolutely love what I do.

I think what made it so easy to get interviews (and an eventual position) was that the programs really saw how passionate I was for the field and my personality was suited for this. My LORs were great too from people who really thought I'd make it in HPM. If your care for others and love for the field shines through, I think you won't have a problem getting an open spot. But if it doesn't work out, you could potentially get a Geri position, do that for 1 year, then apply for an HPM position afterwards. And if it so happens the Geri program also has a HPM program, that could give you a leg up on getting into that particular HPM program. Heck, I was getting Geri program emails for 2 weeks after I'd made my decision.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi there. I scrambled last year and ended up in a program that's exceeded all my expectations. This is how I remembered those 3 days of crazy.

Day of the match was a Wednesday. I found out I didn't get a spot at 10am my time and at that moment the NRMP released a list of unfilled spots. I can't remember the exact number, but like 30-40 spots or so available? I downloaded the list and cold called as many as I could just to get on their radars. I passed along my info to whomever I could, then waited. Later that day, I started hearing back from programs, some said "we full gl bro" others "we full u interested in our Geri program?", and a few others that could schedule me for a phone interview. Got a phone interview that evening after my residency clinic. It went well, but seeing that I hadn't applied there during the match process, they wanted me to send an application (with LORs, PS, CV, etc.) with ERAS to their program so they could get all my information. I heard of one person sending their application stuff via Interfolio during the scramble, but if a program is on ERAS, just do it through ERAS. It's less hassle for you and them.

The next day, I started getting emails from programs (and Geri programs too). One was a program I applied for but never heard back from during the interview season. I had a phone interview with the program director that evening and that went really well, so much so, I was offered the spot at the end of the interview. I told the director I needed a little time, so he let me talk with one of his fellows. After that, I was really set on this spot. Next morning, I'd get an email from the first program I interviewed at found out I was 3rd on their list, so I didn't get in. I called to accept the position I was offered the day before. And now I'm in HPM and I absolutely love what I do.

I think what made it so easy to get interviews (and an eventual position) was that the programs really saw how passionate I was for the field and my personality was suited for this. My LORs were great too from people who really thought I'd make it in HPM. If your care for others and love for the field shines through, I think you won't have a problem getting an open spot. But if it doesn't work out, you could potentially get a Geri position, do that for 1 year, then apply for an HPM position afterwards. And if it so happens the Geri program also has a HPM program, that could give you a leg up on getting into that particular HPM program. Heck, I was getting Geri program emails for 2 weeks after I'd made my decision.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

That was very helpful and encouraging, thanks. I'm happy it worked out so well for you.

I plan to start calling programs as soon as the list of unfilled positions is out. Also, as I haven't applied for any program and I already know I'll have to scramble, I was thinking to maybe start emailing programs even before the match day, which is 2 weeks from now, to try and get my self on their radar that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you been contacting programs in advance of the scramble? Just wondering about the reception. Im in the AOA match for pgy1 and considering doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not that I would ever do this. But if one wanted to obtain the unfilled spots list and didn't have an NRMP account where might they go?

Not that I would ever do this. But if one wanted to obtain the unfilled spots list and didn't have an NRMP account where might they go?
IIRC, the list was only for those who signed up for NRMP and it had a "don't share with anyone else" warning on it

Have you been contacting programs in advance of the scramble? Just wondering about the reception. Im in the AOA match for pgy1 and considering doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was. I would explain the reasons I was late to apply through the main match and would express interest for the program. most of them would reply back. almost all of them said that they had to wait for the match results. only handful of programs told me they wouldn't consider the application. and then as I said, as soon as the results were out programs started calling and emailing like crazy.

after a phone interview, they'll want to talk speak with your PD

I was. I would explain the reasons I was late to apply through the main match and would express interest for the program. most of them would reply back. almost all of them said that they had to wait for the match results. only handful of programs told me they wouldn't consider the application. and then as I said, as soon as the results were out programs started calling and emailing like crazy.

after a phone interview, they'll want to talk speak with your PD

Do I need to submit my LOR as well when trying to scramble? All my LOR are specific for one specialty. What if I scramble for a different specialty?