Scramble for Radiology!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deeaan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Any tips for scramble in radiology.Do they ever fill up during the scramble or wait for a couple of months because they are PGY2 positions & they have lot of time to fill up.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

good luck bro, there are only 5 spots left for the scramble all pg2. All pg1s filled. There are 3 in the ne and 2 in the s. I wouldn't wait around.

The radiology scramble is futile... there are only 5 spots, and hundreds of unmatched applicants. Chances are excellent that a few of these spots went unfilled because program directors decided not to fill them.

There's a good post (from today) on auntminnie's medical student board from someone who didn't match last year. That's probably the best advice you'll find. Several other people who did not match have posted on there recently -- you aren't alone.

Sorry... but you'll probably have to reassess your commitment to radiology. If you won't settle for anything else, you'll probably need to reapply next year.

Good luck,
doepug

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no scramble in radiology. You're right in that a program (if they even are going to fill that slot, I bet a few of those "unfilled" slots weren't meant to be filled) that has 16 months before the position starts won't be desperate enough to try and get someone within the 48 hour match period for this slot. If there are slots open, they'll probably take someone local or do some face to face interviews. Maybe even just leave it and pour through the hundreds of applications for these few precious slots, interview...say the top 10 and get your perfect applicant. I also read the post on auntminnie and it's good advice.

You are both correct. Most PDs will save the unfilled spots for later when they can get more stellar applicants than the ones who went unmatched. Also, next year there will be a lot of dropouts from ENT, Urology, Surgery, IM, etc. wanting to transfer to radiology for July 2005. This combined with the large number that have gone unmatched, makes the postmatch scramble for radiology very close to impossible, if not frankly so..

I always thought that when you match in a program, you're either stuck, or have to really fight your way out of the commitment. How can there be so many uro, ent, surgery, etc. dropouts? I just don't understand I guess.

I don't have the knowledge to comment on the legal aspect of the match/contracts, but if I were a PD and had a very unhappy PGY1 that wanted to leave at the end of the year, what would be the benefit for either party in that person being forced to stay?

Thus, both parties probably agree to the "dropout."

I look forward to someone with concrete knowledge weighing in on this.

Residents are free to quit at any time, regardless of the program's wishes. (Since the passage of the 13th amendment, this is true of any job.) A program could sue for breach of contract damages. However, they cannot make a resident stay nor can they prevent a resident from taking another job (i.e. residency.)

Also, most residency contracts run year to year, so a program would have zero recourse should a resident decide not to re-sign.

Originally posted by Pilot Doc
Residents are free to quit at any time, regardless of the program's wishes. (Since the passage of the 13th amendment, this is true of any job.) A program could sue for breach of contract damages. However, they cannot make a resident stay nor can they prevent a resident from taking another job (i.e. residency.)

Also, most residency contracts run year to year, so a program would have zero recourse should a resident decide not to resign.

True and likewise programs can decide not to renew your contract at the end of the year. I actually have heard of this happening, but this generally were for residents who were going to be let go anyways. Of course if you really screw up they can fire you before your contract is up but you really have to do something pretty bad.