Scramble Onsite Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inverness2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about onsite interviews for the scramble. Has anyone done one? I had a phone interview with a place late Friday, and I going on site next week. I was hoping someone had some insight. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about onsite interviews for the scramble. Has anyone done one? I had a phone interview with a place late Friday, and I going on site next week. I was hoping someone had some insight. Thanks.

I have a couple questions.

How did you already have a phone interview? Scramble doesn't open until tomorrow! Did you call the site expressing interest?

Can you briefly elaborate ....the phone interview? How long it was? What kind of questions? etc.

I've never had a phone interview before but I suspect most sites will be using that to determine whether they make the offer.

But I guess most places...does not mean all...as your site still will do an on site interview :). Sorry I can't help you on post match onsite interviews....but I suspect it will be similar to pre-match interviews.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI (sorry I rarely post here and this is my old screen name): an email went out to our entire school that we should call programs immediately if we needed to scramble. If my school was telling people that I would imagine other people are doing it as well.

As soon as I found out that I had not matched, I updated my CV. I sent emails with my CV to programs that I was interested in(approximately ten programs.) I got a call from a program that I had some connections with. People involved with the residency program were editors of a paper that I published. They called me, and we did a phone interview. Think one of the many mini 30 minute interviews on a residency day interview. I was offered an onsite. The hospital is in the Northeast and has multiple unmatched positions.

Just an FYI (sorry I rarely post here and this is my old screen name): an email went out to our entire school that we should call programs immediately if we needed to scramble. If my school was telling people that I would imagine other people are doing it as well.

What school?

As I said...some people won't follow match rules.

WTF, THIS THREAD MAKES ME SO MAD. I was told specifically we should follow match rules, otherwise that would be perceived as unprofessional/makes you look desperate / undesirable as an applicant. Seriously, some people broke rules and have the audacity to post about it ?

It was bound to happen, until there is explicit consequences for breaking the rules other than "look down upon," people are gonna do whatever you have to to get ahead. I completely empathize with you being mad and all, I do think it is a low blow but desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Update: I do now see that you were allowed to make contact on Friday. I matched myself but I wish everyone going through the process luck.

Last edited:
From the ASHP website: "Applicants may contact programs after 12noon 3/22/13 to obtain information about their position available post match, however they cannot apply to programs until after 12 noon on 3/25/13."

There's nothing in the rules saying you couldn't contact a program on Friday. I don't think the people that contacted sites on Friday broke any rules. Making contact before today may help differentiate yourself from all of the applications they will likely get on PhORCAS.

That's right, there's nothing in the "match rules" that explicitly states you cannot make contact once the match results are released. Just to be clear though, I did not contact anyone. I matched. I was just relaying some insight. Maybe other schools are telling students the same? My school just sent an email directed toward those that didn't match saying that although they cannot submit applications until Monday they may want to make contact over the phone. I personally don't think it's a big deal. I don't think the programs can make any final decisions yet. Good luck to those going through this process though. I hope you all find a position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Girl that broke match rules, do you go to colorado?

This sounds like a 'Hunger Games" Spinoff or something

Good luck to everyone scrambling. I have a friend who is and she seems to be doing well! Has a few interviews lined up.

Don't give up!

I think it's the whole getting an interview thing before technically being able to apply is the issue-- not the contact itself.

I think it's the whole getting an interview thing before technically being able to apply is the issue-- not the contact itself.

No. I'm sure they interview people who haven't applied for positions all the time.

I don't differentiate between the two. Your initial contact is often judged the same way an interview is. Just like visiting my ASHP booth...I'm already starting to award points and rank applicants.

I don't differentiate between the two. Your initial contact is often judged the same way an interview is. Just like visiting my ASHP booth...I'm already starting to award points and rank applicants.

What I meant is that the poster got an interview before the scramble was technically "open". That's breaking match rules, is it not?

Emailing to ask about a program is not breaking the rules.

What I meant is that the poster got an interview before the scramble was technically "open". That's breaking match rules, is it not?

Emailing to ask about a program is not breaking the rules.

I think this attempt to tame the scramble process ultimately failed because information was released like it always has been.

We are adhering to the general spirit of the match rules, but I understand why, after the initial "match" results go out, it's still considered a free-for-all come 12pm on match day. When programs find out through the vine who their internal favorites were that didn't match, and when students get their hands on a list of programs with open spots...telling everyone to hold off is like trying to stop the hoover dam with a paper umbrella.

I will defer to individual programs whether they want to follow the rules post match or not...at that point it's about securing what's best for their institution, and if they feel that running a less inclusive process is best then more power to them.

I think this attempt to tame the scramble process ultimately failed because information was released like it always has been.

We are adhering to the general spirit of the match rules, but I understand why, after the initial "match" results go out, it's still considered a free-for-all come 12pm on match day. When programs find out through the vine who their internal favorites were that didn't match, and when students get their hands on a list of programs with open spots...telling everyone to hold off is like trying to stop the hoover dam with a paper umbrella.

I will defer to individual programs whether they want to follow the rules post match or not...at that point it's about securing what's best for their institution, and if they feel that running a less inclusive process is best then more power to them.

I think it's silly to make people wait over the weekend.

I think it's silly to make people wait over the weekend.

Okay I reread the RPD instructions we got from PhORCAS...

"All programs participating in the post match process have been asked to refrain from making
offers until 4/1/13 to give all parties involved time to review their options."

"April 1st, 2013
- This is the first date that offers for post match positions should be made, in order to give all applicants and programs time to assess the interest by post match participants."

The wording is loose, using "should" and "have been asked" therefore programs are free to ignore the advice.

Okay I reread the RPD instructions we got from PhORCAS...

"All programs participating in the post match process have been asked to refrain from making
offers until 4/1/13 to give all parties involved time to review their options."

"April 1st, 2013
- This is the first date that offers for post match positions should be made, in order to give all applicants and programs time to assess the interest by post match participants."

The wording is loose, using "should" and "have been asked" therefore programs are free to ignore the advice.

Yeah, the wording is so loose. I'm hoping a lot of programs do follow this though as it sucks because the majority of us are noobs at this and are trying to follow the rules, at least I am anyways.

I read "offer" to mean an offer for a position, not an interview. I was actually hoping to get offers for phone interviews this week... guess my viewpoint was off! I'd prefer to find out and get this whole thing sorted as soon as possible.

And just to reiterate- emailing is NOT breaking the rules. If a program chooses to contact you I don't think a single applicant out here would say no. Just saying, it's a tough time!

I read "offer" to mean an offer for a position, not an interview. I was actually hoping to get offers for phone interviews this week... guess my viewpoint was off! I'd prefer to find out and get this whole thing sorted as soon as possible.

And just to reiterate- emailing is NOT breaking the rules. If a program chooses to contact you I don't think a single applicant out here would say no. Just saying, it's a tough time!

You know what, I think you're right. I assumed the same thing you did. After re-reading the language in the PhORCAS information, I realized it only says "offers," no "offers for ____." It seems some programs are taking most of this week just to review applications.

wow...I thought I spent a lot on scramble applications..

best of luck!!

Anyone else feel unprepared for an on-site or phone interview? It's been a month since my last interview....and I'm no longer in that interview mindstate :(

Just got a invitation for a phone interview....

As I said...some people won't follow match rules.

They aren't rules, if you look at the emails they are suggestions. If I was scrambling I'd go for it... Seems like that's working for people

when they ask about your commitment, drop that line

lol

meh. I think it shows a fair bit of commitment to the residency process. Though, I don't plan on bringing it up. And it's not like I applied to every program; there was a selection process.