Scramble question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepy guy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, I'm applying for PM&R and prelim internal medicine. If I match in PM&R and have to scramble for that prelim year, will I be notified about my PM&R location so I can try and scramble into a place near my advanced residency, or will I have to scramble blindly into a prelim spot and wait for match day and hope I end up in a place nearby my advanced residency spot? Does anyone know how this works?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious, I'm applying for PM&R and prelim internal medicine. If I match in PM&R and have to scramble for that prelim year, will I be notified about my PM&R location so I can try and scramble into a place near my advanced residency, or will I have to scramble blindly into a prelim spot and wait for match day and hope I end up in a place nearby my advanced residency spot? Does anyone know how this works?

You will not be notified of the location of where you matched to in PM&R but it is unlikely that you will not match to a Prelim spot.

If you do, you can either wait until you hear the location of where your PM&R spot is, or take your chances and try to make a bet about the location.

Thanks for the info, but I hear lots of people say that they had the program directors at their residency programs try and help them with matching into a prelim spot in their program. Is this something that happens after the match? Can you still find a prelim spot even after the scramble?

Thanks for the info, but I hear lots of people say that they had the program directors at their residency programs try and help them with matching into a prelim spot in their program. Is this something that happens after the match? Can you still find a prelim spot even after the scramble?

People in the program may inform the matched candidates in their program by one way or another before March 15 (as I understand it is a violation but could happen). The point is that; what if you can’t find a spot near your program, anything better than nothing, it is just one year.

You will not be notified of the location of where you matched to in PM&R but it is unlikely that you will not match to a Prelim spot.

If you do, you can either wait until you hear the location of where your PM&R spot is, or take your chances and try to make a bet about the location.

i'm no expert on this one, but i was under the impression that you do find out where you matched that monday so you can look for a prelim during the scramble period.

If the place where you matched for PM&R has open Prelim spots they will likely help you get a Prelim spot at their program.

Another poster above notes that they DO tell you where you matched on Monday if you don't match into a Prelim spot - if that is the case, that is new and is different from other specialties (where you don't know where you matched). However, he/she is closer to that info than I, so this may indeed be true.

From http://www.nrmp.org for more information...

2. Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position but not a first year position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to an advanced position but did not match to a preliminary position listed on a supplemental rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain a preliminary position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different advanced position.

I could not find information that they would tell you WHERE you matched.

This exact situation happened to me (I matched to advanced position, but had to scramble for my prelim spot). Before match day, there is unmatch day. On this day, they send you an email. For those applying to both advanced and prelim spots, it can take 4 forms (wording not exact):

1. You matched to preliminary and advanced position

2. You matched to prelim but not to advanced

3. You matched to advanced but not prelim

4. You did not match at all

If you are in situation #2 or #3, then they DO tell you where you matched (the advanced spot if situation #2, the prelim spot if situation #3). This allows you to scramble with some idea of where you might like to end up geographically. As Dr. Cox points out, a great place to start looking for a prelim spot (if you matched to advanced but not prelim) is the place you matched for the advanced spot. Another good location is the place you're graduating from. In my case, these were one and the same, and that is how I got my spot in prelim medicine in the scramble.

Note: I matched in 2003, so this isn't exactly fresh information. You can (and should) confirm this with the staff at your medical school.

I can't find where it says that, but the dean of the medical school will tell you where you matched. It's just cruel to have you try to scramble and end up a 1000 miles away from the program you matched at.
-S

This exact situation happened to me (I matched to advanced position, but had to scramble for my prelim spot). Before match day, there is unmatch day. On this day, they send you an email. For those applying to both advanced and prelim spots, it can take 4 forms (wording not exact):

1. You matched to preliminary and advanced position

2. You matched to prelim but not to advanced

3. You matched to advanced but not prelim

4. You did not match at all

If you are in situation #2 or #3, then they DO tell you where you matched (the advanced spot if situation #2, the prelim spot if situation #3). This allows you to scramble with some idea of where you might like to end up geographically. As Dr. Cox points out, a great place to start looking for a prelim spot (if you matched to advanced but not prelim) is the place you matched for the advanced spot. Another good location is the place you're graduating from. In my case, these were one and the same, and that is how I got my spot in prelim medicine in the scramble.

Note: I matched in 2003, so this isn't exactly fresh information. You can (and should) confirm this with the staff at your medical school.

Thanks for the clarification!