scrambling into FP from radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuyajedi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an MS3 currently aspiring for a radiology residency, with FP as my close second choice. I was wondering, should I not match in rads, what would be my chances of scrambling into an FP spot in California, esp. in light of all the positions that go unfilled every year in Cali alone? Is rads too different from FP such that even programs with unfilled spots wouldn't accept me after doing hardly any primary care rotations during my MS4 year?

Thank you very much for your time in replying to this message.

Members don't see this ad.

No program will ever ask about your MS4 year. Just state you really did enjoy your 3rd year COREs and FP is the consumate mix of those PMD specialites (minus the big surg cases).

Only question to you is, are you sure that you want FP as a back up comming from rads. Those fields are polar opposites. Is there NOTHING else that you would want to apply to simultaneously this match? ER, Path. etc?

Yes you can scramble it with vitrually no difficulty assuming you are a US grad.

Kuyajedi,

Any interviews for Radiology, yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
no, i'm an ms3 so i'll be applying next year. i'm trying to decide if i should go ahead and apply only to rads and risk possibly scrambling into FP in a non-ideal location vs. applying directly to FP and landing a great location vs. applying to both rads and FP. Any ideas?

Thanks.

kuyajedi said:
no, i'm an ms3 so i'll be applying next year. i'm trying to decide if i should go ahead and apply only to rads and risk possibly scrambling into FP in a non-ideal location vs. applying directly to FP and landing a great location vs. applying to both rads and FP. Any ideas?

Thanks.

CAVEAT: Actually, being an opinionated person, I do have an idea for you. I apologize to the FPs on this board by digressing from the FP realm but consider me an honorary FP considering I did it for 5 years. If you want to move this discussion to Radiology, so be it.

I don't know about scrambling into a position. :confused: With selecting a resident comes great care in determining one's motivations and aptitude to succeed. In my opinion, commit yourself to one. I would feel a bit of hesitation knowing my program was a back up, but hey, it happens all the time, right? +pissed+

I would actually consider, if I were you, applying for Internal Medicine unless you have a great desire to deal with OB/GYN and Pediatric issues. With board certification, you can jump into a Nuclear Medicine fellowship and get dual boarded. With myocardial perfusion studies and renal imaging, you can utilize your clinical and diagnostic skills. You could also jump into cardiology or GI from there where renumeration for procedures is good. Consider this as a backup to radiology, if you have the desire for imaging but want to stay in primary care.

On the other side of the coin, you can still do FP and get a fellowship in Nuclear Medicine; :thumbup: I am certain these people exist, also. It's really a matter of what interests you the most.

With the Flu vaccine issues going on, :eek: I am relieved that I don't have to deal with those issues in primary care with the desperate and concerned patients, especially parents of young children. Not that I don't care, because I do (having a child of my own, I empathize) it just got stressful for me. Especially when people demanded for antibiotics. :scared: I had to deal with the flu season where there were several deaths of children in the community related to that issue some time back. The waiting rooms were packed and the hours were extended to meet up with demand. ERs in the area were swamped.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm on call this evening.... :luck:

Being one of those visual people, I have to say that these emoticons are fun. :thumbup:

BenHoganFan
Radiology Resident

My advice is: stop thinking about it. You're MS3 and it's now October which means you've gotten a couple of rotations under your belt, with plenty more to come. I know there's pressure when everybody and their dog asks you what you want to do later on. But just say you don't know, because it sounds like you don't.

I would say that you should start thinking about what you want out of your medical career and just keep thinking of the pros and cons of each specialty. When Feb/Mar swings around, start pushing towards making a decision whether you want Rad or FM. In the meantime, why won't you talk to some resident/faculty people and some private practice people and see how they like it? Check out some books in the library, read some resources from the various trade organizations. Have you done an FM rotation yet?

BenHoganFan brings up a good idea, in that one alternative is to apply for an IM prelim year. In Rad, you have to apply for an intern year somewhere, and you can do IM prelim and apply for a categorical second year if Rad falls through (twice) and not lose a year. Alternatively, you can do a transitional year. Chances are you won't have to do this. Scrambling into FM can potentially be very miserable... just because in your heart of hearts you know it wasn't want you wanted to do... it was simply a consolation prize for going to med school... and you don't want to live your life like that.

I agree with Ben Hogan Fan. you should try to make you application as strong as you can and carefully select your backup program. This is coming from a guy who is on his way out of FP. IM would be a better choice of a backup. you would have very few options to subspecialize. This my honest opinion.
If you are worried about matching in DR do what an FMG would do apply widely. Do not allow geography to limit your search.

CambieMD