Screaming children in clinic

Started by Perrotfish
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I had a clinic patient today that would not stop screaming from the second I walked into the room to the second that I walked out. I wouldn't mind, be she was loud and distracting enough enough that I honestly don't think that her Mom got anything out of the visit. I doubt she could have repeated anything that was said to her. This isn't the first time I've had this problem, either.

The question: What methods to you guys use to keep your patients (relatively) quiet when they're too old for a pacifier and too young to reason with? Any videos that you play on your Ipads/kindles that work well? Any useful psychological trickery? Magic tricks? Or do you just power through it?
 
So, I had a clinic patient today that would not stop screaming from the second I walked into the room to the second that I walked out. I wouldn't mind, be she was loud and distracting enough enough that I honestly don't think that her Mom got anything out of the visit. I doubt she could have repeated anything that was said to her. This isn't the first time I've had this problem, either.

The question: What methods to you guys use to keep your patients (relatively) quiet when they're too old for a pacifier and too young to reason with? Any videos that you play on your Ipads/kindles that work well? Any useful psychological trickery? Magic tricks? Or do you just power through it?

I power through it. There is just no quieting some kids and too much time can be waisted on trying in my busy schedule. I would rather spend time speaking with parents.

Of note, I always stress to them that they can call the clinic at any time with questions. That way, if they get home and forget (or have missed some of) our discussion, they can call back and speak with me or my nurse during a quieter time with their child.
 
Spongebob was a life saver for me in the ER. I know clinic life is different, but childlife can also be a godsend in the hospital.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I simply ignore the children. Parents should be responsible for their children. Sometimes a med student plays with them our toys keep them busy.
 
A week ago I would have lol'd at your iPad comment, but the other day my wife and I went out to eat at a rather nice restaurant and I cringed a little when I noticed we were seated next to a family with two preschoolers. But then I noticed the parents had given the preschool kids their iPads and I kid you not these kids were perfectly silent and sat perfectly still playing games on them for the entirety of a 2 hour multiple course meal while their parents could carry on a conversation as if they were dating.

While I'm sure most people are like "lazy parents, kids these days, etc" I was actually rather impressed (maybe I just appreciate video games too much to hate on the parents 😉 )