Screening/AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

avr

Compared to previous years, does anyone have any idea know how much the screening process (i.e., post AMCAS, pre-secondary) has been impacted by this year's AMCAS screwups? Have people been spending excessive sums on schools they otherwise really wouldn't have had a shot for because there's little or no screening in place? Just curious (and nearly broke)...

Better question: what IS the point of preliminary applcations through AMCAS if they're not used for screening. Maybe I'm just not getting it.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, the majority of schools don't screen primaries in a normal year.

Welcome to SDN! :D Well, I don't have much basis for comparison, because I've never applied before, but it seems to me that most premeds are savvy enough to know where they're competitive, so if people are wasting their money, it's by choice.
I'll grant you it's been a very expensive few months, though, what with all the extra copying, postage, and phone calls to AMCAS on top of primary and secondary fees, not to mention possible attorney's fees! Best of luck on your applications. :)

Originally posted by SMW:
•Welcome to SDN! :D Well, I don't have much basis for comparison, because I've never applied before, but it seems to me that most premeds are savvy enough to know where they're competitive, so if people are wasting their money, it's by choice.
I'll grant you it's been a very expensive few months, though, what with all the extra copying, postage, and phone calls to AMCAS on top of primary and secondary fees, not to mention possible attorney's fees! Best of luck on your applications. :) •••