Screening Medical Schools - Typical Interview Policies?

Started by HokieMD1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HokieMD1

Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently posted this inquiry on a school-specific thread, but I would also like to frame the same question from that thread in a national context. I'm trying to gather more information. The following is a brief explanation of an interviewing policy at Vanderbilt Medical School. I would like to know how many of you are aware of the interviewing procedures and policies specifically at M.D. schools that screen their applicants before sending a select number of them secondaries. Is Vanderbilt's following policy an anomaly?

"I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days. Can anyone (maybe a current WVU-SOM student) shed light on the hierarchy of placement, so to speak, of applicants who receive interviews at West Virginia? Let me explain myself more clearly.

For example, my current roommate has an interview scheduled at Vanderbilt School of Medicine. He's got great stats, but is still concerned about some of those ridiculously impressive fellow interviewees beating him out, at least on paper that is.


In doing some research online, he found out that (after an extensive screening process), if you do receive an interview to Vanderbilt, you are placed on the same "level" as all of the other applicants. My roommate nearly has a 4.0 and made a 34 on his MCAT, but in light of this new information, it might be fair to say that he longer has to worry about the 38+ kids (seriously, more power to you if you happen to fall into this category) having significant statistical advantages over him. Everyone who is interviewed has (theoretically) an equal chance of acceptance; the primary factor no longer becomes statistics, former clinical or shadowing experience, whatever. It (mostly) depends on the interview.


I figured that maybe other medical schools who screen before sending secondaries (like WVU) would have a similar policy, seeing as how, if they do positively "accept" your primary, that obviously you are more so a candidate for acceptance than a random applicant who receives a secondary at a non-screening school. It would seem to me, that in WVU's case, the playing field is even more "level," seeing as how nearly all secondar-iers receive interviews. We are all candidates, right?


Thoughts? Am I potentially correct or completely off?
😕

Thanks in advance"
 
I recently posted this inquiry on a school-specific thread, but I would also like to frame the same question from that thread in a national context. I'm trying to gather more information. The following is a brief explanation of an interviewing policy at Vanderbilt Medical School. I would like to know how many of you are aware of the interviewing procedures and policies specifically at M.D. schools that screen their applicants before sending a select number of them secondaries. Is Vanderbilt's following policy an anomaly?

"I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days. Can anyone (maybe a current WVU-SOM student) shed light on the hierarchy of placement, so to speak, of applicants who receive interviews at West Virginia? Let me explain myself more clearly.

For example, my current roommate has an interview scheduled at Vanderbilt School of Medicine. He's got great stats, but is still concerned about some of those ridiculously impressive fellow interviewees beating him out, at least on paper that is.


In doing some research online, he found out that (after an extensive screening process), if you do receive an interview to Vanderbilt, you are placed on the same "level" as all of the other applicants. My roommate nearly has a 4.0 and made a 34 on his MCAT, but in light of this new information, it might be fair to say that he longer has to worry about the 38+ kids (seriously, more power to you if you happen to fall into this category) having significant statistical advantages over him. Everyone who is interviewed has (theoretically) an equal chance of acceptance; the primary factor no longer becomes statistics, former clinical or shadowing experience, whatever. It (mostly) depends on the interview.


I figured that maybe other medical schools who screen before sending secondaries (like WVU) would have a similar policy, seeing as how, if they do positively "accept" your primary, that obviously you are more so a candidate for acceptance than a random applicant who receives a secondary at a non-screening school. It would seem to me, that in WVU's case, the playing field is even more "level," seeing as how nearly all secondar-iers receive interviews. We are all candidates, right?


Thoughts? Am I potentially correct or completely off?
😕

Thanks in advance"
Completely variable by school, but most don't put all the interviewees on the same playing field. They still care about the rest of your app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In general, I wanted to see if most/many/few schools do the Vanderbilt "even playing field" method.

I'm sure very few people are privy to this information, if any. Just thought I'd try.
 
Completely variable by school, but most don't put all the interviewees on the same playing field. They still care about the rest of your app

If you're offered an interview... generally you meet the school's playing field requirements.

If you have mediocre stats, then you need an outstanding interview.

If you have outstanding stats, then you need to not be socially ******ed and have not said anything stupid.
 
I seriously don't think that any med schools "level the playing field" once applicants hit the interview stage. Everything in your app comes into play in the final decision to accept or reject.

Your interview is very important, though, and may be weighted differently at different schools.
 
I seriously don't think that any med schools "level the playing field" once applicants hit the interview stage. Everything in your app comes into play in the final decision to accept or reject.

Your interview is very important, though, and may be weighted differently at different schools.

The point is, if you're offered an interview. They like your application already.

The interview is a place for them to clarify certain aspects of your application and make sure you're a good fit for the school.