Screening test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brown Boy With The Toys

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A study was done to determine if CT scan screening had a better outcome than not screening in detecting brain tumour.
In a multinational company, those above 30 were divided into two groups; those not being screened and the other group undergoes CT scan screening every two years.
Which of the following statements shows that having a CT scan screening has a positive effect.

A. More cases of brain tumor were detected in theasymptomatic phase in the screened group.
B. More brain tumor cases were detected in the screenedgroup.
C. Brain tumor cases detected in the screened grouplived longer.
D. More people with brain tumor detected in thescreened group resulted in death.
E. More people with brain tumor in the non-screenedgroup resulted in death.

Members don't see this ad.

I think C is a better choice than B if we're looking for the single best answer (although it's unlikely the scan itself causes the reduced mortality, it would probably be the early treatment resulting from the screening). Overall, the question seems to be poor quality, though.

Edit: After rereading answer choices, I can see them making an argument for a few choices, because they're so poorly worded. For example: does choice E imply that people in the unscreened group were caught too late-- therefore, there was a benefit to the screening group (by being detected sooner and receiving timely therapy)? For choices A and B, are they implying the screening with CT increased the risk of tumors in the screened group and therefore harmed the screened patients? I think this is somewhat vague, but maybe that's just me. The case for A would be that if you detect it in the asymptomatic phase you can take care of it sooner (a benefit), but the answer would depend on what they're implying with each choice.

I'm curious to see where the question is from and what their logic is for the answer.

Edited again: I keep wrestling with this, but if we're trying to stick with the motivations for screening, I would say A is correct because screening is designed to (hopefully) increase early detection. Choice A also doesn't assume anything beyond the question (such as treatment after detection).

Last edited by a moderator: