Screwed up an interview, how can i salvage the situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmerted

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i realize that this is in the wrong section, but i need to send an email by today, the admissions committe meeting is tommorow, any help is appreciated!

Hello everyone, i just cam home today from an interview. There were 2 interviews and a group session.

The first interview was with 3 students and I totally aced it. They asked difficult questions and i didn't make a single mistake, got along with all 3 people and made an excellent reputation.

The second interview was with a faculty member. I started out pretty good but clammed up a few times towards the end. there were at least 2 questions for which my mind just went completely blank for some reason. I think that overall the impression that i gave was that i was not very knowledgeable in pharmacy.
The funny thing is that i gave the opposite impression in my first interview.

I'm preparing to send thank you letters to the admissions director and the faculty member who interviewed me. how can i rectify the situation?

i think that the situation is probably salvageable. Right now, i believe i have a 50/50 chance. What should i do?

What's even funnier, is that the faculty member (that I interviewed with) knows a friend of mine and they work for the same company?

Argggghh!! Why did i clam up?

I want to try to contruct an email thank you letter that helps explain what happened. Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably I would just thank them and move on... If you start jabbering on and on about how you meant to say this and you're smarter than you came across... they're going to realize that you're full of crap. Be sincere, thank them for the opportunity to share yourself, and let it go. Maybe try to highlight the good points of your conversation and your application, but don't bring up anything bad... you'll just make it worse. Cheers and all the best.

Also... it's probably no where near as bad as you think it is. Clamming up isn't as bad as saying something that's factually inaccurate or an out and out lie. Your interviewer might forgive nervousness but definitely not character disintegration.

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmerted said:
i realize that this is in the wrong section, but i need to send an email by today, the admissions committe meeting is tommorow, any help is appreciated!

Hello everyone, i just cam home today from an interview. There were 2 interviews and a group session.

The first interview was with 3 students and I totally aced it. They asked difficult questions and i didn't make a single mistake, got along with all 3 people and made an excellent reputation.

The second interview was with a faculty member. I started out pretty good but clammed up a few times towards the end. there were at least 2 questions for which my mind just went completely blank for some reason. I think that overall the impression that i gave was that i was not very knowledgeable in pharmacy.
The funny thing is that i gave the opposite impression in my first interview.

I'm preparing to send thank you letters to the admissions director and the faculty member who interviewed me. how can i rectify the situation?

i think that the situation is probably salvageable. Right now, i believe i have a 50/50 chance. What should i do?

What's even funnier, is that the faculty member (that I interviewed with) knows a friend of mine and they work for the same company?

Argggghh!! Why did i clam up?

I want to try to contruct an email thank you letter that helps explain what happened. Thanks for your help!!

i always think honesty is the best approach. write a thank you for the interview, admit you think you didn't come across in the best light b/c you were nervous. perhaps try to better answer the questions they asked you then...not sure what they ask on pharmacy interviews. perhaps mention your friend and say he could give you a fair reference to counteract the negative impression you may have portrayed at the interview. also write why you really liked the program, etc and say you'd definitely got there (if that's true) if accepted. best of luck :luck:

btw i totally screwed up an interview and was accepted. even worse i accidentally backed into my student interviewer's car and dented it before the interview..i'm still hoping to be accepted. :oops:

btw i totally screwed up an interview and was accepted. even worse i accidentally backed into my student interviewer's car and dented it before the interview..i'm still hoping to be accepted. :oops:[/QUOTE]

:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Psycho Doctor said:
i always think honesty is the best approach. write a thank you for the interview, admit you think you didn't come across in the best light b/c you were nervous. perhaps try to better answer the questions they asked you then...not sure what they ask on pharmacy interviews. perhaps mention your friend and say he could give you a fair reference to counteract the negative impression you may have portrayed at the interview. also write why you really liked the program, etc and say you'd definitely got there (if that's true) if accepted. best of luck :luck:

btw i totally screwed up an interview and was accepted. even worse i accidentally backed into my student interviewer's car and dented it before the interview..i'm still hoping to be accepted. :oops:

thanks for the help. my interview wasn't a disaster or anything, but i may have given the impression that i wasn't experienced or knowledgeable.

Anyone else have opinions? Thanks!

pharmerted said:
thanks for the help. my interview wasn't a disaster or anything, but i may have given the impression that i wasn't experienced or knowledgeable.

Anyone else have opinions? Thanks!
well in that case perhaps write your thank you letter, touch upon a few things why you liked that school and allow it to express your knowledge of pharmacy