Scribe Business Liability Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PreMedLife210

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

This is not exactly related to MD, but just a quick question for anyone who's down to give me some info. I'm in the process of starting a small scribe company (my friend and I), and I was wondering if anyone knows if we need to purchase medical malpractice/liability insurance? I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere online. Appreciate any replies and information!
 
Hello all!

This is not exactly related to MD, but just a quick question for anyone who's down to give me some info. I'm in the process of starting a small scribe company (my friend and I), and I was wondering if anyone knows if we need to purchase medical malpractice/liability insurance? I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere online. Appreciate any replies and information!
As a random premed, I would respectfully suggest that you would get better, more specific and reliable advice from a business insurance agent or a lawyer than from some random premeds on the internet. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!!!
 
I’d check out HPSO for their professional liability. I have an LLC I use to scribe for a provider and pay ~$375 a year for the coverage my hospital requires. They were super helpful when I called and got my quote. Hope this helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As someone with an MBA and has studied the legalities of business, I will tell you this;

If you cannot find a more reliable source to find information to start your business practice other than SDN, then you probably should not be starting a business. Further, since I know that will not stop you, I will provide some advice.

I believe that covering you tail-end would be of utmost importance. Medical malpractice comes with large payouts, so being liable for something in this scenario would not be good. Could you imagine being sued for a misinterpretation of something that a physician said? However, the physician should check every one of your charts, and in which case, you could fight that lawsuit on the other end with that.

It seems to me, that from the outside looking in, you would 100% want insurance for any legal claim made against your company (that is usually normal policy for any business), you should look into employee specific liability insurance, and before you start ,make sure you have the right business model to handle paying these insurances. As with any businesses, you have to pay all of the startup costs before you can make any money. Also, if you get that far, PLEASE get a lawyer to look at your contracts because you are definitely going to need contracts with medical practices for your idea.

Best of wishes.
 
As someone with an MBA and has studied the legalities of business, I will tell you this;

If you cannot find a more reliable source to find information to start your business practice other than SDN, then you probably should not be starting a business. Further, since I know that will not stop you, I will provide some advice.

I believe that covering you tail-end would be of utmost importance. Medical malpractice comes with large payouts, so being liable for something in this scenario would not be good. Could you imagine being sued for a misinterpretation of something that a physician said? However, the physician should check every one of your charts, and in which case, you could fight that lawsuit on the other end with that.

It seems to me, that from the outside looking in, you would 100% want insurance for any legal claim made against your company (that is usually normal policy for any business), you should look into employee specific liability insurance, and before you start ,make sure you have the right business model to handle paying these insurances. As with any businesses, you have to pay all of the startup costs before you can make any money. Also, if you get that far, PLEASE get a lawyer to look at your contracts because you are definitely going to need contracts with medical practices for your idea.

Best of wishes.
Thanks! And I’m obviously going to speak with a lawyer but haven’t been able to get in touch with any yet, so I figured I’d throw it on here just because.
 
As a random premed, I would respectfully suggest that you would get better, more specific and reliable advice from a business insurance agent or a lawyer than from some random premeds on the internet. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!!!
Lol I know that. Thanks though