Scribe job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Holy ****. I work 9 hours shifts and saw 19 patients last night and it was hectic. Even the providers were talking about how that can be unsafe for them and the patients because they're so rushed. I'm baffled as to how you see 40 in that time period.

About scribing in other departments, I was asked to start scribing in family medicine, and the providers in the ED told me that it will be hell compared to the ED. I guess since the appointments are scheduled, depending on who you're working with, you go from patient to patient and see probably one every 10 or 15 minutes.

From the charts I have reviewed by PCP's pertinent to the patients in the ED, their notes are usually brief for follow up appointments, and very to the point, along with physical exam, next step in care, and MDM. My company does have clinic scribes, and from what I hear from people between clinic and the ER, the clinic is way way easier to scribe in.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Holy ****. I work 9 hours shifts and saw 19 patients last night and it was hectic. Even the providers were talking about how that can be unsafe for them and the patients because they're so rushed. I'm baffled as to how you see 40 in that time period.

About scribing in other departments, I was asked to start scribing in family medicine, and the providers in the ED told me that it will be hell compared to the ED. I guess since the appointments are scheduled, depending on who you're working with, you go from patient to patient and see probably one every 10 or 15 minutes.

Yeah I hear that often too but the patient outcomes at our ED are on par if not better than most. I'm not trying to say it's the best way or everyone should be able to do that without having adverse patient outcomes - just that it's doable. Granted, when it is that high of volume, it's not all high acuity patients and traumas. If I see 50 in a 9-10 hour shift it's probably 50% viral stuff and or simple orthopedic cases and the other 50% are legitimate emergent cases.