scribe opportunity and questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out a scribes opportunity and I think it would be an amazing experience and learning opportunity. But it is not without its strings attached.

First it has a 2 year commitment. I applying for acceptance in the 2003 year. So I would be limited to a year. They are lientient(sp?) to seniors and those who could only provide a year of service.

They have both part time and full time positions both being limited positions open. I was told I would have a better chance if I applied for the full time position (36 hours)

Being that I am post bacc I am finishing my pre reqs this semester. I planned on taking more science courses in order to boost my gpa up even more and take some courses I should enjoy.

If I dont do the scribe program, I can shadow a doctor at a local hospital. But I dont think I'll be as involved as I would in this program.

I guess I somewhat talked it out on here.

Members don't see this ad.

a job to be a scribe.
"Scribes shadow the emergency room physicians and do their documentation, however, this is more than just dictation, you will be trained to learn what physical exam is being done, you will have the opportunity to learn about medicine in a way that most students don't experience until their third year of medical school."

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh, i was picturing some sort of monk copying down copies of the bible. :) i guess it's along the same lines.

sounds fun, but 2 years is a long time. what are the qualifications for it? you need a bachelor's degree?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lmbebo:
•a job to be a scribe.
"Scribes shadow the emergency room physicians and do their documentation, however, this is more than just dictation, you will be trained to learn what physical exam is being done, you will have the opportunity to learn about medicine in a way that most students don't experience until their third year of medical school."•••••

no qualifications. they train you. They prefer students are capable of fullfilling the two year commitment. They do bend on people who can work less but prefer those individuals to be full time.

Personally I am trying to get into med school as soon as I can. If you can find something that will provide for you a chance to really see how medicine works in less time, go for that instead.

I'm working as a phlebotomist and volunteering as an EMT. I get to interact with some of the docs as well as work with a lot of support staff in a hospital including: xray techs, med techs, nurses, respiratory techs, etc. Well I have to go draw a patient. ttyl