Scribing Hours Serving as Shadowing...or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1112122

Hello all,

Nontrad, getting ready to submit my app over the coming week and have been having some trouble w/r/t shadowing hours.

Context:
I have over 1k hours scribing in a NYC Urgent Care, working alongside EM, FM, and IM trained physicians. I do not have any formalized shadowing experience. I have always been under the impression that scribing could cover shadowing, but some last minute googling has me 50/50 on that. One of the physcicians I worked alongside with wrote me a strong LOR (based on what she said, idk never read it).—In AMCAS, I currently placed this same physician in the "Shadowing" Category for about 50 hours. I am at a crossroads with how to proceed and here are my options:

1. Do not have a separate shadowing activity at all
  2. Subtract 50 hours from my scribing entry and keep my shadowing entry. My problem with this is that though my LOR writer agreed to let me call her my "shadow doctor"—I would wager the LOR mentions me as a medical scribe, I don't want to risk contradicting anything.
  3. Use the 48 hours I spent training as my shadowing. When I first became a scribe, I spent 48 hours literally just standing there, observing, not doing any scribe duties. I worked with 3-4 physicians. Problem with this option is I don't remember any of their names.
Wondering what you all would recommend, maybe there's another option I'm missing?

Definitely a bit frustrated as I believe the rest of my app is solid—though as always, things are a crab-shoot.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Nontrad, getting ready to submit my app over the coming week and have been having some trouble w/r/t shadowing hours.

Context:
I have over 1k hours scribing in a NYC Urgent Care, working alongside EM, FM, and IM trained physicians. I do not have any formalized shadowing experience. I have always been under the impression that scribing could cover shadowing, but some last minute googling has me 50/50 on that. One of the physcicians I worked alongside with wrote me a strong LOR (based on what she said, idk never read it).—In AMCAS, I currently placed this same physician in the "Shadowing" Category for about 50 hours. I am at a crossroads with how to proceed and here are my options:

2. Subtract 50 hours from my scribing entry and keep my shadowing entry. My problem with this is that though my LOR writer agreed to let me call her my "shadow doctor"—I would wager the LOR mentions me as a medical scribe, I don't want to risk contradicting anything.
  3. Use the 48 hours I spent training as my shadowing. When I first became a scribe, I spent 48 hours literally just standing there, observing, not doing any scribe duties. I worked with 3-4 physicians. Problem with this option is I don't remember any of their names.
Wondering what you all would recommend, maybe there's another option I'm missing?

Definitely a bit frustrated as I believe the rest of my app is solid—though as always, things are a crab-shoot.

Thank you!
You could use #3 as you suggest and list the NYC Urgent Care as the facility, then say you observed several physicians

Reactions: 1 users
You could use #3 as you suggest and list the NYC Urgent Care as the facility, then say you observed several physicians
Sounds reasonable to me —and you’d suggest I clarify that it was a part of my medical scribe training?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what @Catalystik said about this #705

and that AMCAS questions thread is a great one to read through in general

I would say separate out the 48 hours and list them under shadowing, and you can describe that they were part of your pre-employment training

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here's what @Catalystik said about this #705

and that AMCAS questions thread is a great one to read through in general

I would say separate out the 48 hours and list them under shadowing, and you can describe that they were part of you pre-employment training
Much thanks, and appreciate the thread share, some great info!

I agree with wysdoc that option #3 is best.

Reactions: 1 users