Aug 28, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I graduated in May with a biology degree with a stellar GPA and MCAT score. I applied last year and didn't get in anywhere. I got feedback from UW telling me that I was lacking in volunteer hours (~70-80) and needed a better understanding of a medical team. I am currently working full-time at Intel (to pay off loans and such) and my compressed-work-week schedule allows me to take on a second job as a medical scribe. If I were to take on the scribe position in addition to my current job, I would have no time to volunteer (or have a life). This particular scribing position requires a 2 year commitment which I would begin in September, so I would be taking 2 gap years. I am wondering if I would be better off to spend the next 2 years participating in various volunteer activities or if medical schools value a good scribing experience enough to look past lacking volunteer hours.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I graduated in May with a biology degree with a stellar GPA and MCAT score. I applied last year and didn't get in anywhere. I got feedback from UW telling me that I was lacking in volunteer hours (~70-80) and needed a better understanding of a medical team. I am currently working full-time at Intel (to pay off loans and such) and my compressed-work-week schedule allows me to take on a second job as a medical scribe. If I were to take on the scribe position in addition to my current job, I would have no time to volunteer (or have a life). This particular scribing position requires a 2 year commitment which I would begin in September, so I would be taking 2 gap years. I am wondering if I would be better off to spend the next 2 years participating in various volunteer activities or if medical schools value a good scribing experience enough to look past lacking volunteer hours.
I don't like the idea that you have to put off your ultimate goal of matriculation to be part of this scribing company. I'd take the volunteer route.

latinclubimperatus

First Aid is life
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2014
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
That’s not legally enforceable. If you leave there’s nothing they can do. Having said that, I think scribing is overrated and volunteering is a better route anyway.

About the Ads

MedNole1

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2017
Florida
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I would take the volunteer route as well. You could even shadow physician's too during that time. I am currently a scribe but didn't have to commit two years for my company and I'm able to still volunteer. If it's something you really want to do I would look for another company then.

About the Ads