Scribing = Shadowing On AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rside

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be worth my time to formally shadow a PCP when I worked as a medical scribe in IM for over 400 hours?

If I don’t need to I would rather be volunteering/shadowing other specialties.

Thanks in advance

Sorry just realized this may be in the wrong sub forum but can’t seem to find the delete button

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would it be worth my time to formally shadow a PCP when I worked as a medical scribe in IM for over 400 hours? If I don’t need to I would rather be volunteering/shadowing other specialties.
My thoughts:
- Totally okay to shadow other specialties if you've already worked with an internist. Is your work done for outpatients or inpatients? If it's the latter, then having some outpatient shadowing would not be a bad idea, though by no means necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
My thoughts:
- Totally okay to shadow other specialties if you've already worked with an internist. Is your work done for outpatients or inpatients? If it's the latter, then having some outpatient shadowing would not be a bad idea, though by no means necessary.
I would try to get a few shifts of shadowing with someone else don't worry about PCP if you're IM exposure is also in a primary care setting.

Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts:

The doctor I was shadowing was outpatient!

@futuremdforme I've been shadowing a physician in the ER and have been loving it!

I am in a similar boat and am wondering the same thing. I currently work as a medical scribe in the ED and have for the past year. I work for a scribe company, and we work with a number of physicians, PA's, and NP's. I have shadowed an IM doc, but found it to be much less fruitful and insightful than actually working in the ED. I feel like scribing hours should count for shadowing, as in my experience it is actually a better insight to these careers. Should I shadow more? Would these hours be able to "double dip" as shadowing?

I am in a similar boat and am wondering the same thing. I currently work as a medical scribe in the ED and have for the past year. I work for a scribe company, and we work with a number of physicians, PA's, and NP's. I have shadowed an IM doc, but found it to be much less fruitful and insightful than actually working in the ED. I feel like scribing hours should count for shadowing, as in my experience it is actually a better insight to these careers. Should I shadow more? Would these hours be able to "double dip" as shadowing?

If you apply to a school that specifically requires shadowing, just ask them if your scribing will count. I only have 20 hours of shadowing, but like 400 hours of scribing and nobody has said anything. Do you want to shadow more? Go for it! If you don't then you should be fine.

Would it be worth my time to formally shadow a PCP when I worked as a medical scribe in IM for over 400 hours?

If I don’t need to I would rather be volunteering/shadowing other specialties.

Thanks in advance

Sorry just realized this may be in the wrong sub forum but can’t seem to find the delete button
No. I am a nurse and still shadowed. Working with doctors isn't exactly the same as shadowing.