Scripps Post Bacc 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsamelon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post here if you have applied or been accepted to Scripps for 2011. I am waiting for a response with fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping and I have added a Facebook Group for those going to Scripps next year - search Scripps Post Bacc 2011-2012 - I am currently overseas and away from the internet for long periods of time, please send me a message here or in FB and I will shoot you an invite. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied to Scripps and it's my #1 right now! Congrats on your acceptance, I'm waiting on an invite for an interview, crossing my fingers...

Just got my invite for the interview! Any suggestions and/or advice? Thanks!

i just looked at scripps college online for post-bacc and i'm a bit confused. Scripps College, the Women's College? I'm guessing men can apply (i'm a guy), but.. what's the deal with that?

Also, "The program is not meant for students wishing to retake the prerequisite science courses to strengthen their grade point average or MCAT performance." Did I miss something? I thought that was the point of post-bacc..

i just looked at scripps college online for post-bacc and i'm a bit confused. Scripps College, the Women's College? I'm guessing men can apply (i'm a guy), but.. what's the deal with that?

Same deal as Bryn Mawr College -- it's a women's college that does co-ed post-bac. Both are part of a consortium with other local colleges that are co-ed (and in Bryn Mawr's case, the grad schools are co-ed too), so there are guys on campus.

Hi all. New to SDN and first time poster here.

I've been reading up a bit about Post-Bacc programs, and am particularly interested in exploring the possibility of applying to a program in California (Scripps, Mills, and USC). I'm a Southern California Native, USC graduate, and now completing a graduate degree in Religion at Harvard.

I wanted a quick initial assessment of my chances at any of the above mentioned programs. My stats:

3.75 combined GPA between CSUF and USC (transferred out from CSUF) with 3.7 from USC and 3.8 from CSUF. I have done very well in my year and a half so far at Harvard and am currently working in a healthcare setting (at a prominent local Boston hospital), where I work directly with patients and provide counseling.

The only downside to my record, I am guessing, would be my SAT score. 1100, but taken 8 years ago when I did not take my education very seriously, but most certainly got my act together as soon as I entered college.

Any thoughts on me as a prospective Post-Bacc student at any one of these schools? Thanks in advance!

Thanks so much zen. I figured as much about my SAT score. I have some thinking to do, but its nice to know I'd be a competitive candidate, especially at Scripps.

Another question I would ask would be, I took intro Bio and Physics as an undergrad (over 4 years ago), and it's been 7 years since I took pre-calculus. Is taking those science courses a problem? They were for GE requirements and I've always been interested in science, so I took those two. Never taken calculus before. It would probably be better to take pre-calculus and calculus the year before I would enter a post-bacc program, I'm assuming?

Another question I would ask would be, I took intro Bio and Physics as an undergrad (over 4 years ago), and it's been 7 years since I took pre-calculus. Is taking those science courses a problem? They were for GE requirements and I've always been interested in science, so I took those two. Never taken calculus before. It would probably be better to take pre-calculus and calculus the year before I would enter a post-bacc program, I'm assuming?

Hey AdHaq, I'm not sure if you had your questions answered (since it's been quite a while since your post) but I figured I'd try to help you out. I finished my Scripps Postbac last year and am going off to med school this year. Did you take just the one semester for the Bio and Physics? and Did you take the labs with them? I don't think it should be a problem on taking it again especially since it has been quite a while ago. But to make sure, you might benefit from calling DeEttra at the postbac office at Scripps. She should be helpful with that.

I would suggest that you take calculus before starting the program. Some of my classmates actually took calculus concurrent to the summer chemistry course. And calculus would definitely help for the physics class. Calculus is also a requirement for many medical schools, so it's worth taking it anyway. Good luck with everything and you can message me if you want to discuss futher!

And one more thing, I am not sure if you absolutely need to take the GRE before applying to Scripps. If you have a good track record in college, it might be good enough (especially if you did well in math and science). You should talk to the postbac office to see what they think of your scores. But of course a good GRE score wouldn't hurt.

"The program is not meant for students wishing to retake the prerequisite science courses to strengthen their grade point average or MCAT performance." Did I miss something? I thought that was the point of post-bacc..

The Scripps program is intended for people who've taken either no science at all or just a few (1-2) science courses. Students who already have a bunch of science courses and just want to strengthen their science GPA should consider the UC postbac programs, for example, where they'll take more advanced science courses.