mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So I know that most schools do a coat system where you have a shorter one when you are a student, but do they have any system at your schools to ID students that are in scrubs?
Dumb question, but do residents wear different scrubs than the attendings?
On most rotations (surgery and OB/Gyn being the notable exceptions), attendings don't wear scrubs - they wear suits or other professional-looking clothing.
Why does it matter, anyway? Afraid that someone might know you're a rookie? 🙂
Scrubs are reversible at least in the hospitals I've been to.
Scrubs are reversible at least in the hospitals I've been to.
what has that got to do with anything?
I was asked to put some on, and I spent over 15 minutes trying to decide which side was right.
In other news, scrubs are made from cotton (although I am not sure what a disposable scrub is made from??? Hemp??).
Nah, if you must know, its the same material that they make the full-body surgical field drapes from.
Debbie Downer! 😳
J/K, sorry to make light of your embarassment!

On most rotations (surgery and OB/Gyn being the notable exceptions), attendings don't wear scrubs - they wear suits or other professional-looking clothing.
Why does it matter, anyway? Afraid that someone might know you're a rookie? 🙂

😀 no worries, this is all in fun.![]()

Wouldn't take a trained one, as an untrained one would attack the med student immediately for appearing so weak and bereft of confidence.The only time we don't wear a white coat over scrubs is when you are actually in the OR and even a trained monkey could pick out the med student in that setting.
Wouldn't take a trained one, as an untrained one would attack the med student immediately for appearing so weak and bereft of confidence.

The only time we don't wear a white coat over scrubs is when you are actually in the OR and even a trained monkey could pick out the med student in that setting.
Yep, same in my program... about the white coat, and the monkey
So I know that most schools do a coat system where you have a shorter one when you are a student, but do they have any system at your schools to ID students that are in scrubs?
Our EM residency program just bought us black scrubs. Now I can moonlight as a ninja, too.
Our EM residency program just bought us black scrubs. Now I can moonlight as a ninja, too.
That will change the second the first resident gets hit by a car walking home at night after a shift.
Weren't you already doing that?
It almost makes me laugh that a hospital would spend the money to have different colored scrubs for medical students. The whole point of scrubs is that they are generic, uniform, and cheap.
Wouldn't take a trained one, as an untrained one would attack the med student immediately for appearing so weak and bereft of confidence.
So, how does one scrub the monkey before allowing it in the OR
Yes, but this begs the question of whether the monkey in the OR also wears the same color scrubs...
Depends on the hospital.
At some hospitals that we rotate through, yes. Monkeys wear the same color scrubs.
At my home hospital, no. Monkeys wear different colored scrubs from residents/staff, and the device reps/visiting monkeys wear different colored scrubs as well.
You were a late bloomer.The same way you've been doing it since you were 13.
So, how does one scrub the monkey before allowing it in the OR


😏Which one - wearing black scrubs or moonlighting as a ninja?
If it's the first, no, we wore whatever we wanted, and that still holds true. The black scrubs have our residency logo and names emboidered on them. Personally, I wouldn't buy them myself because I got a free supply of scrubs from the hospital.
If it's the second, well, I can tell you, but then I'd have to drip poison over a string into your lips while hiding in the drop down ceiling. You don't want that.
That's stupid. The whole point of scrubs is that they are disposable/interchangeable. When I see someone with embroidered scrubs I think "just wear khakis and a nice shirt."
Its not really a rule of the med schools or hospitals... just something they use to tell folks apart.
Umm, it's definitely a rule at the short white coat med schools... rooted in tradition I guess as you said... but it is a rule. If I wore a long white coat, someone would probably kick my ass and I'd be summoned to the dean's office or something.
At any rate, my goal is (someday) to come to work every day wearing a pristinely resplendent white coat, and have absolutely nothing in the pockets... w/ no stethoscope, no nothing. Maybe a phone, but absolutely nothing else inside. must become attending soon.
also, ER mullet = gross
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.