alohacat319

c/o 2020
2+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi there!

I tried looking in the search bar but couldn't find anything. How does it work with scrubs in vet school in terms of required colors etc? I was thinking of buying some new ones for my current job, but if I am going to have to turn around and buy tons more next year at school, it doesn't make sense. So basically just wondering if they require certain colors or you can wear whatever you have. I know it's probably school dependent, but just trying to get a feel for it. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Probably a school dependent question. I wore a bunch of different colors on the rotations that required them. Same for the occasional wet lab the first few years. Other schools might have different requirements.

Reactions: alohacat319

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
Odds are that most anything will work for anatomy labs and stuff first year. By the time fourth year rolls around, you may not even be the same size, so I wouldn't worry too much. But yeah, it would be school dependent.

Reactions: Rwwilliams

jmo1012

SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2011
Under the Sea
Status
Veterinarian
Definitely school dependent. I doubt you'll need more than a couple of pairs though for the first year or two.

Lab Vet

Clinical Veterinarian, Global CRO
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2011
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
NCSU is Ceil Blue only for students. The teaching hospital is hard core about it (anything having to do with the teaching hospital/clients is ciel blue). For our class laboratories (no client contact), anything goes. As mentioned previously, school specific rules. You won't need many pairs throughout your pre-clinical years.

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
Also, for the scrubs you'll need for anatomy lab, they can be old/junky. Double check with your school of course, but I'm fine with my stained/bleached scrubs. However, I will not wear the particularly grubby ones to class. I'll change into them prior/after lab. Rotations? You'll want nice sets in whatever colors your school allows.

Okimo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WesternU lets you wear whatever but all bets are off once you get to clinics. I really recommend against buying patterned scrubs because I, and faculty, think they look unprofessional and there's a 99% chance you won't be able to wear them in clinics, even for the most lax rotation.

Glammyre

DV(M Ph)D Plan
2+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2014
Status
Veterinarian
NCSU is Ceil Blue only for students. The teaching hospital is hard core about it (anything having to do with the teaching hospital/clients is ciel blue). For our class laboratories (no client contact), anything goes. As mentioned previously, school specific rules. You won't need many pairs throughout your pre-clinical years.
Definitely
school-dependent, then. At Oklahoma, most of us used lab coats and old clothes instead of scrubs for anatomy.

OP, you're probably fine getting a couple of pairs without worrying about the color. I'll second the recommendation for solid-colored scrubs.

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Odds are that most anything will work for anatomy labs and stuff first year. By the time fourth year rolls around, you may not even be the same size, so I wouldn't worry too much. But yeah, it would be school dependent.
Off topic but this made me laugh and then get a little sad. 3rd year in vet school, size changed drastically from 1st year. Hooray for poor eating habits, sitting in a classroom all day, and not making time for activity.

Reactions: DVMDream

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
Off topic but this made me laugh and then get a little sad. 3rd year in vet school, size changed drastically from 1st year. Hooray for poor eating habits, sitting in a classroom all day, and not making time for activity.
Happens to the best of us. My weight fluctuated a lot during 4th year depending on whether I remembered to eat (in excess at times) or forgot (while running around like a mad person). It was hard to keep my tool let thing where it fit.

Felixor90

Michigan State 2019!
5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lansing, MI
Status
Veterinary Student
I've actually been losing weight steadily since classes started. Living off of student loans has forced me to stop eating out and I cook pretty healthy food. Hopefully that continues through the next 4 years...