SCS cancelled: again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He had no sx from day I saw him to day of anticipated surgery. NP for anesthesia misquoted/misinterpreted his 1 episode of SOB of walking to car as that day and not 6 weeks prior.
So you mean that the day of the procedure the attending anesthesiologist cancelled the surgery without talking to the patient who would have told him/her that they no longer had symptoms or that the symptoms were only one day in length?

If that is the case then yes that is ridiculous but I think it is likely that there is more to the story.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
So you mean that the day of the procedure the attending anesthesiologist cancelled the surgery without talking to the patient who would have told him/her that they no longer had symptoms or that the symptoms were only one day in length?

If that is the case then yes that is ridiculous but I think it is likely that there is more to the story.

I mean… I absolutely wouldn’t put it past an anesthesiologist to try and pull something like that off, but I also doubt that’s what occurred.

Reactions: 1 user

Has been a long standing issue. In the past we were separate entities competing for the same patients. Now we are all owned by same hospital so there should be none of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean… I absolutely wouldn’t put it past an anesthesiologist to try and pull something like that off, but I also doubt that’s what occurred.

Would make sense if it’s the same one he tried to get fired;)

• Haha
Hmm, either she was or is no longer covering any of my cases. Either way, I'm good with that.

I’m sure she’s good with that too. And others are wondering, “how can I get on the no fly list too?”

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I’m sure she’s good with that too. And others are wondering, “how can I get on the no fly list too?”
That’s why the doc in this case cancelled. They caught wind that all they gotta do is find a reason to cancel, legit or not, and they’ll never have to work with this joker again.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I’m curious, did the world really end here? What’s happening here? No one died and I’m pretty sure the patient got or will eventually get the spinal cord stimulator and everyone will get paid and be happy. What’s the issue here?

Reactions: 3 users
He had no sx from day I saw him to day of anticipated surgery. NP for anesthesia misquoted/misinterpreted his 1 episode of SOB of walking to car as that day and not 6 weeks prior.

That’s why the doc in this case cancelled. They caught wind that all they gotta do is find a reason to cancel, legit or not, and they’ll never have to work with this joker again.

Since OP now says patient had a single episode of DOE 6 weeks ago and has had no symptoms since then, I can think of no other reason why they would postpone the case.

Just checked. She is gone.

This isn’t something I’d be advertising so eagerly. It’s not having the effect I think you hope it does.

It means either:

1) You actually did intentionally and successfully get someone fired for appropriately cancelling an elective procedure in the name of patient safety.

2) The anesthesiologist in question was warned by admin that they upset a proceduralist and that they need to be more of a “team player” and try to “go with the flow” more. And in response to that they said screw this dumpster fire and left.

Neither one is a good look for you or your hospital, especially on this forum.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s fun to thump your chest and feel like the winner but people are leaving this field and medicine in general and someday you may find yourself in a OR so stretch for staff you won’t be able to get any case done or you’ll be with dangerous nurses who just do what you say and it could lead to harming a patient. But OP is winning so what do I know? *Jason Segel shrug*

Patterns of Resolution of Chest Radiograph Abnormalities in Adults Hospitalized with Severe Community-Acquired Pneumonia​

Anke H. W. Bruns, Jan Jelrik Oosterheert, Mathias Prokop, Jan-Willem J. Lammers, Eelko Hak, Andy I. M. Hoepelman
Clinical Infectious Diseases, Volume 45, Issue 8, 15 October 2007, Pages 983–991, Patterns of Resolution of Chest Radiograph Abnormalities in Adults Hospitalized with Severe Community-Acquired Pneumonia
Published:

15 October 2007

Abstract​

Background. Timing of follow-up chest radiographs for patients with severe community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) is difficult, because little is known about the time to resolution of chest radiograph abnormalities and its correlation with clinical findings. To provide recommendations for short-term, in-hospital chest radiograph follow-up, we studied the rate of resolution of chest radiograph abnormalities in relation to clinical cure, evaluated predictors for delayed resolution, and determined the influence of deterioration of radiographic findings during follow-up on prognosis.
Methods. A total of 288 patients who were hospitalized because of severe CAP were followed up for 28 days in a prospective multicenter study. Clinical data and scores for clinical improvement at day 7 and clinical cure at day 28 were obtained. Chest radiographs were obtained at hospital admission and at days 7 and 28. Resolution and deterioration of chest radiograph findings were determined.
Results. At day 7, 57 (25%) of the patients had resolution of chest radiograph abnormalities, whereas 127 (56%) had clinical improvement (mean difference, 31%; 95% confidence interval, 25%–37%). At day 28, 103 (53%) of the patients had resolution of chest radiograph abnormalities, and 152 (78%) had clinical cure (mean difference, 25%; 95% confidence interval, 19%–31%). Delayed resolution of radiograph abnormalities was independently associated with multilobar disease (odds ratio, 2.87; P ⩽ .01); dullness to percussion at physical examination (odds ratio, 6.94; P ⩽ .01); high C-reactive protein level, defined as >200 mg/L (odds ratio, 4.24; P ⩽ .001); and high respiratory rate at admission, defined as >25 breaths/min (odds ratio, 2.42; P ⩽ .03). There were no significant differences in outcome at day 28 between patients with and patients without deterioration of chest radiograph findings during the follow-up period (P > .09).
Conclusions. Routine short-term follow-up chest radiographs (obtained <28 days after hospital admission) of hospitalized patients with severe CAP seem to provide no additional clinical value.

And my patient did not have PNA, the Dx came from PCP who gave an Rx for ABX presumptive in an asthmatic. The Anesthesia NP saw patient day before surgery. I am the implanting physician.

Are you anesthesiology by training? If so, this is so sad. I am the "implanting physician." You need to check your "proceduralist" ego at the door. If this is how you behave clinically, there might be more to the story on why your case got cancelled. It is a lot easier to cancel a case of a proceduralist you don't like when cancellation is medically justified (as it is in this case). It's a lot easier to allow a case to proceed if you like the proceduralist (and ignore the medically justifiable cancellation). I'm just saying. Something to chew on for future cases. Stomping your feet and questioning our decision-making will not get you very far. As a pain physician, you are not what makes the ORs money. Might want to tread more lightly and not develop a diva reputation of only being able to work with certain anesthesiologists.

I hated her too. Good job.
I hope you guys realize that all this hate can translate into worse patient care. Not intentionally, but because the proceduralist and the anesthesiologist stop communicating. ("I have to talk to that dingus again. I'd rather not.")

Also, you have one of the most high maintenance patient populations, as specialties go. If you're not pleasant either, imagine who you get to provide anesthesia for you.

Make it the most pleasant room to be in, and you'll get the most senior people when they want an easy day, instead of the least competent ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you anesthesiology by training? If so, this is so sad. I am the "implanting physician." You need to check your "proceduralist" ego at the door. If this is how you behave clinically, there might be more to the story on why your case got cancelled. It is a lot easier to cancel a case of a proceduralist you don't like when cancellation is medically justified (as it is in this case). It's a lot easier to allow a case to proceed if you like the proceduralist (and ignore the medically justifiable cancellation). I'm just saying. Something to chew on for future cases. Stomping your feet and questioning our decision-making will not get you very far. As a pain physician, you are not what makes the ORs money. Might want to tread more lightly and not develop a diva reputation of only being able to work with certain anesthesiologists.
He’s pmr.

Reactions: 2 users
Make it the most pleasant room to be in, and you'll get the most senior people when they want an easy day, instead of the least competent ones.

Most senior and least competent are often one in the same, in my experience.

They're the same shots we fire at orthopedics when they go into there-is-a-fracture-I-need-to-fix-it mode, where asystole is merely a condition that may reduce blood loss. OP seems to view anesthesiologists as ancillary servants comparable to hospital food service personnel, or possibly lab techs, where he orders something and it gets done.

Honestly, in these two threads he's taken ortho's game to a new level.
Just so we’re clear what I’m saying is the following:

1. An elective SCS (and all elective cases for that matter) probably shouldn’t be done when the patient isn’t optimized from a pulmonary perspective. It is 100% elective. It can be pushed back. Same goes with hyperkalemia. Hard stop.

1b. No one cares about a PCP medical preop IMHO. No shade on them but we as anesthesiologists have been trained much more extensively with these matters.

1c. Anesthesiologists should not be pushed around. Not only is this an improper way to treat a fellow professional but in some cases it is to the detriment of the patient. We’re all in the OR for the patient. Period.

2. The bashing of spinal cord stimulators is what I was referring to. I wasn’t clear in my earlier post. Sure, spinal cord stimulator‘s are overdone by some. However, they are a viable option for some select patients. Does everyone need one? Absolutely not. However, I would encourage the non-pain physicians to look at the larger picture. If a spinal cord stimulator improves quality of life and or helps to decrease opioid consumption then I consider that a win. Pain like many parts of medicine are an art. If it a patient has had multiple back surgeries do we just say “sorry can’t help you”? Do we do epidural after epidural? Write them opioids? It’s delicate I’m sure we can all agree.

3. If I wanted to poke the bear a little bit I will challenge my fellow anesthesiologists with the following. Why are we using fentanyl on induction? If it is to blunt the sympathetic response then I would encourage the consideration of esmolol. What do we hope to achieve with fentanyl? I’m not saying esmolol is the silver bullet. What I am saying is many times we push meds without taking a critical view of the consequences.

3b. And if I wanted to poke the bear even more than as an anesthesiologist who does a case that has no proven benefit or no real measurable outcome just as complicit as the surgeon? We surely can’t bill and then look the other way. It’s not black and white.

3c. I’ve seen my fellow anesthesiologist leave a patient in PACU and sign out. They hit “anesthesia end” on the chart. Their units are done. However, I wonder if they realize that uncontrolled acute pain can most certainly lead to someone developing chronic pain. However, are we taking a close enough look at the perioperative control of pain? How often do we just do a single block without consideration for a catheter? How many of us rely on pure opioids to get through a case? Honestly, are we doing lidocaine infusions? Esmolol infusions? Ketamine boluses? Enough magnesium? The recommended dose of preoperative gabapentin? What I’m trying to say is there’s more than what meets the eye. We all in one way or another have a part in this picture. Blanket statements along the line of “SCSs don’t work” are counterproductive.

Edit. IMJO Depending on the right set up (small ASC versus hospital) and contract pain can most definitely bring in a lot of money. Needles and meds are not that expensive. Not that many people needed in the room. Facility fees + professional fees.

Last edited:
I give fentanyl on induction because most surgeries are at least somewhat painful and require a touch of narcotic. It's like why give esmolol, just to give fentanyl later anyway.

1. An elective SCS (and all elective cases for that matter) probably shouldn’t be done when the patient isn’t optimized from a pulmonary perspective. It is 100% elective. It can be pushed back. Same goes with hyperkalemia. Hard stop.

1b. No one cares about a PCP medical preop IMHO. No shade on them but we as anesthesiologists have been trained much more extensively with these matters.

1c. Anesthesiologists should not be pushed around. Not only is this an improper way to treat a fellow professional but in some cases it is to the detriment of the patient. We’re all in the OR for the patient. Period.

2. The bashing of spinal cord stimulators is what I was referring to. I wasn’t clear in my earlier post. Sure, spinal cord stimulator‘s are overdone by some. However, they are a viable option for some select patients. Does everyone need one? Absolutely not. However, I would encourage the non-pain physicians to look at the larger picture. If a spinal cord stimulator improves quality of life and or helps to decrease opioid consumption then I consider that a win. Pain like many parts of medicine are an art. If it a patient has had multiple back surgeries do we just say “sorry can’t help you”? Do we do epidural after epidural? Write them opioids? It’s delicate I’m sure we can all agree.

3. If I wanted to poke the bear a little bit I will challenge my fellow anesthesiologists with the following. Why are we using fentanyl on induction? If it is to blunt the sympathetic response then I would encourage the consideration of esmolol. What do we hope to achieve with fentanyl? I’m not saying esmolol is the silver bullet. What I am saying is many times we push meds without taking a critical view of the consequences.

3b. And if I wanted to poke the bear even more than as an anesthesiologist who does a case that has no proven benefit or no real measurable outcome just as complicit as the surgeon? We surely can’t bill and then look the other way. It’s not black and white.

3c. I’ve seen my fellow anesthesiologist leave a patient in PACU and sign out. They hit “anesthesia end” on the chart. Their units are done. However, I wonder if they realize that uncontrolled acute pain can most certainly lead to someone developing chronic pain. However, are we taking a close enough look at the perioperative control of pain? How often do we just do a single block without consideration for a catheter? How many of us rely on pure opioids to get through a case? Honestly, are we doing lidocaine infusions? Esmolol infusions? Ketamine boluses? Enough magnesium? The recommended dose of preoperative gabapentin? What I’m trying to say is there’s more than what meets the eye. We all in one way or another have a part in this picture. Blanket statements along the line of “SCSs don’t work” are counterproductive.

Edit. IMJO Depending on the right set up (small ASC versus hospital) and contract pain can most definitely bring in a lot of money. Needles and meds are not that expensive. Not that many people needed in the room. Facility fees + professional fees.

I'm a multimodal proponent, but if I'm not mistaken I think the benefit from throwing the kitchen sink of lido, mag, ketamine, precedex, GABA, nsaid (and even some regional) is modest at best. Most of the time early opioid usage is slightly reduced but then catches up to controls a couple days to a week after major abdominal or TJ surgery.

Reactions: 11 users

There was exactly one post in the entire thread "hating on pain". Seems like a red herring to focus on that and ignore the entire gist of this thread while questioning anesthesiologist pain practices.

Reactions: 4 users
The surgery I perform is a procedure. **The risk from anesthesia and not from the procedure.**

Ding ding ding we have a winner.
You've basically summarized the mentality of a proceduralist. You are there to do the procedure. The risk isn't yours. Totally in line with the comment vis a vis ortho asystole

Reactions: 13 users

Well I give fentanyl not just to blunt the sympathetic reflex but also logic would tell me that placing an ett down my throat would be quite painful.
Esmolol would treat the heart rate secondary to that action not address the initiating stimulus.

Secondly I’m all for multimodal analgesia but everything is patient and situation dependent. It’s dependent on cost effectiveness and what exactly is the goal of that particular situation.

Throwing a bunch of gabapebtin lidocaine ketamine and precedex may work, may not work, or may work better. It depends on the situation.

Plenty of patients delay they’re discharge from pacu after they’re snowed by these overkill multimodal drugs.

Secondly, opioid dependence leading to addiction is a complex phenomenon. It’s not “just” from perioperative opioid use.

Opioids are only truly indicated for cancer pain and acute pain (surgery would be one of these situations). When they’re used for chronic non malignant pain then that’s the issue.

As anesthesiologists, our first goal is to get the patient through surgery in a safe manner - and if opioids are part of that balanced anesthetic plan, then sure why not.

I give fentanyl on induction because most surgeries are at least somewhat painful and require a touch of narcotic. It's like why give esmolol, just to give fentanyl later anyway.

Well I like to wait to give narcotics until right before incision because I don't want to sit there pushing neo until incision

Reactions: 1 users

Would you consider introducing a plastic tube into someone's trachea noxious or painful? Honest question.

Would the hospital make more money having that OR reserved for one SCS or true spine cases? This is rhetorical. There is no way a day of SCS implants is a profitable endeavor in comparison to other cases that are reimbursed more favorably.

There is a limit to non-opioid multimodal analgesia. Each of those aforementioned medications have risks and side effects that aren't always appreciated. How many times have I seen someone shotgunned with a hefty dose of preoperative gabapentin only to sit in the PACU snowed unnecessarily with a GCS of 3 in the PACU for a lengthy period of time. Once they leave the PACU, if the surgeon is exclusively prescribing opioids, what good have you done in minimizing opioids in the OR and PACU?

Well I give fentanyl not just to blunt the sympathetic reflex but also logic would tell me that placing an ett down my throat would be quite painful.
Esmolol would treat the heart rate secondary to that action not address the initiating stimulus.
True, if you were awake this would be painful. In a patient under general anesthesia, it just produces a sympathetic response, which can be treated just as well with esmolol.

By your logic, the patient would need a continuous fentanyl infusion for the duration of general anesthesia because the tube is stuck in the trachea, but this is not the case. There’s a sympathetic surge from the ETT hitting the trachea. After this resolves the patient can tolerate the tube under anesthesia without opioids.

All of this. Again I’m just the forum idiot but the patient getting SOB walking to a car is them quite literally failing a stress test….at least on paper. Could be different on “eye test”.
Agree. Needs further workup and optimization.

True, if you were awake this would be painful. In a patient under general anesthesia, it just produces a sympathetic response, which can be treated just as well with esmolol.

By your logic, the patient would need a continuous fentanyl infusion for the duration of general anesthesia because the tube is stuck in the trachea, but this is not the case. There’s a sympathetic surge from the ETT hitting the trachea. After this resolves the patient can tolerate the tube under anesthesia without opioids.
Fentanyl works at different receptors than general anesthetics. Am I missing something here?

Fentanyl works at different receptors than general anesthetics. Am I missing something here?
I’m saying pain is not pain unless the person is conscious. I think the logic of “this act looks painful so the person needs an opioid medication to treat it” is flawed.

I do a few nonpainful procedures under general anesthesia, intubated, with no fentanyl or other opioids. Opioids are not required for every single GA/ETT. Most patients don’t need opioids for their endotracheal tube.

I trained in an “opioid heavy” department. But one day I was working with a former editor in chief of Anesthesiology. We were doing an endoscopic sinus case. I gave fentanyl 50mcg mid case for no particular reason. Up to that point it was an opioid free anesthetic. He said to me, “Nimbus, you have ruined a perfectly good anesthetic.” It wasn’t actually “ruined” but I got the point.

Last edited:
I’m saying pain is not pain unless the person is conscious. I think the logic of “this act looks painful so the person needs an opioid medication to treat it” is flawed.
ok.
If you can share some studies showing that general anesthesia without any opioid plus esmolol to blunt the sympathetic response is better than a balanced general anesthetic in terms of pain control in PACU, hypertension, smooth wake up, and time to discharge - then that would be appreciated.

I don’t know if I agree. Respectfully.

I mean i understand what you’re saying, ie, general anesthesia is by definition “doesn’t respond to painful stimuli” therefore if there is a response then they aren’t under a deep enough anesthetic. So in reality we run all of our patients “light”

But we both know in practice, we’re treating and trying to minimize the pain that arrives on emergence.

Isn’t there an awesome thread in the archives that features a great debate btw an anesthesiologist and a surgeon regarding exactly this… pain as it relates to consciousness

I mean i understand what you’re saying, ie, general anesthesia is by definition “doesn’t respond to painful stimuli” therefore if there is a response then they aren’t under a deep enough anesthetic. So in reality we run all of our patients “light”

But we both know in practice, we’re treating and trying to minimize the pain that arrives on emergence.
If I DL a patient after a induction dose of prop, put an ETT, than take it out immediately and wake the patient up, they don’t wake up with any pain. The fentanyl is only treating the sympathetic surge created by the ETT hitting the trachea. Is it really treating pain? We’ve all seen ICU patients intubated and awake. That sympathetic surge could be just as well treated with esmolol. Or you could just carry on with general anesthesia and in 5 mins the HR and BP will go back down.

ok.
If you can share some studies showing that general anesthesia without any opioid plus esmolol to blunt the sympathetic response is better than a balanced general anesthetic in terms of pain control in PACU, hypertension, smooth wake up, and time to discharge - then that would be appreciated.
There are papers suggesting esmolol infusion intraop reduces PACU opioid requirements for lap cases.

If I DL a patient after a induction dose of prop, put an ETT, than take it out immediately and wake the patient up, they don’t wake up with any pain. The fentanyl is only treating the sympathetic surge created by the ETT hitting the trachea. Is it really treating pain? We’ve all seen ICU patients intubated and awake. That sympathetic surge could be just as well treated with esmolol. Or you could just carry on with general anesthesia and in 5 mins the HR and BP will go back down.
yes but what have you proven? is that 100 of fentanyl really going to burn you? and it will straighten out those roller coaster train track vitals..

its hard to imagine being awake with an ETT and i dont think i would mind a little low dose fentanyl for comfort, again whats the downside?

yes but what have you proven? is that 100 of fentanyl really going to burn you? and it will straighten out those roller coaster train track vitals..

its hard to imagine being awake with an ETT and i dont think i would mind a little low dose fentanyl for comfort, again whats the downside?
Not arguing if fentanyl should be given or not. I use it as well.

Just commenting that the arguement of “this would be painful if I am awake so fentanyl or some other opioid is indicated” is not a cogent argument for multiple reasons.

Isn’t there an awesome thread in the archives that features a great debate btw an anesthesiologist and a surgeon regarding exactly this… pain as it relates to consciousness
my take is that all you "see" is the sympathetic surge of a sleeping person in response to pain, but more badness is happening that you dont see

just like with chronic pain, there are links to the limbic system and its generally/psychologically not good to have untreated pain under GA and just use BP meds.. obviously no data on that.. but to me it makes sense to stop the nociceptor pathway, not just treat its downstream results of HTN and tachycardia

Can't really call it a "debate" when one side got so thoroughly destroyed

Can't really call it a "debate" when one side got so thoroughly destroyed

Wow, thanks.

It’s so much better than I remember.

There are papers suggesting esmolol infusion intraop reduces PACU opioid requirements for lap cases.
I thought you were advocating for a bolus of esmolol Vs fentanyl and not an esmolol infusion…
‘There are papers’ is not relevant to day to day practical anesthetic cases. So are you routinely doing esmolol infusions instead of giving opioid on induction? If so, you’d be the first anesthesiologist I know to do that…

Why give fenratnyl when another medication can blunt the sympathetic response which is what we’re targeting?

Why not reserve fentanyl until emergence and resumption of consciousness?

I ask these to elicit discussion.

Why not give a longer acting agent for more of a “tail”? In the wrong hands it’ll snow the patient. Someone who may have a better feel for it may make it a smoother emergence, time in Pacu and even on the floor/ride home.

I'm a multimodal proponent, but if I'm not mistaken I think the benefit from throwing the kitchen sink of lido, mag, ketamine, precedex, GABA, nsaid (and even some regional) is modest at best. Most of the time early opioid usage is slightly reduced but then catches up to controls a couple days to a week after major abdominal or TJ surgery.
I view multimodal analgesia as a paradigm shift away from “pushing some stuff labeled in a blue syringe” to a more thoughtful approach about receptors of action and pharmacodynamics.

Now, other factors certainly take into account opioid use: surgeon technique, longer acting local infiltration by surgeon, pre op MME, associated mental heath issues etc.

Recent JAMA article about opioid use in knee and shoulder arthroscopy suggesting (not proving) multimodal technique may spare post op opioid use.

There was exactly one post in the entire thread "hating on pain". Seems like a red herring to focus on that and ignore the entire gist of this thread while questioning anesthesiologist pain practices.
I never questioned canceling the case.

Questioning them? Not in that sense. Did I ask questions? Sure. Was it in the spirit of sharing ideas and opinions? Yes. Could someone maybe pick up a tip that improves their technique or allows them to defend and support what they’re doing? I hope so.

The patient is not conscious. So I respectfully disagree.

Are you using lidocaine on the tube? Are topicalizing while DLing?

Secondly I’m all for multimodal analgesia but everything is patient and situation dependent. It’s dependent on cost effectiveness and what exactly is the goal of that particular situation.

Throwing a bunch of gabapebtin lidocaine ketamine and precedex may work, may not work, or may work better. It depends on the situation.

Plenty of patients delay they’re discharge from pacu after they’re snowed by these overkill multimodal drugs.
Agree it depends on the situation.

Agree multimodal is not a cure all. Never said it was.

A blanket “multimodal cocktail” may be well meaning but unless the anesthesiologist understands the agents you may see what you’re suggesting in PACU.

And for that matter I don’t blame the medications. It’s the person pushing them. A good carpenter doesn’t blame their tools.
Secondly, opioid dependence leading to addiction is a complex phenomenon. It’s not “just” from perioperative opioid use.

Opioids are only truly indicated for cancer pain and acute pain (surgery would be one of these situations). When they’re used for chronic non malignant pain then that’s the issue.

As anesthesiologists, our first goal is to get the patient through surgery in a safe manner - and if opioids are part of that balanced anesthetic plan, then sure why not.
To be clear I’m not a fanatic against the use of opioids intraop and post op. They have their place sure. However indiscriminate use or to cover up for lack of effort does our patients no favors.

Again, why aren’t we placing catheters and still doing single shots? Not everyone needs a catheter sure. There are logistic problems, institutional challenges, reimbursement issue set. I get it.

Why aren’t we using medications like methadone or suboxone for some post op care instead of fentanyl for painful surgeries in those at a higher risk of developing pain?

Do some anesthesiologists know these high risk surgeries that show up in a pain clinic with chronic pain?
Would you consider introducing a plastic tube into someone's trachea noxious or painful? Honest question.

Would the hospital make more money having that OR reserved for one SCS or true spine cases? This is rhetorical. There is no way a day of SCS implants is a profitable endeavor in comparison to other cases that are reimbursed more favorably.

There is a limit to non-opioid multimodal analgesia. Each of those aforementioned medications have risks and side effects that aren't always appreciated. How many times have I seen someone shotgunned with a hefty dose of preoperative gabapentin only to sit in the PACU snowed unnecessarily with a GCS of 3 in the PACU for a lengthy period of time. Once they leave the PACU, if the surgeon is exclusively prescribing opioids, what good have you done in minimizing opioids in the OR and PACU?
No I wouldn’t. I’m unconscious.

I don’t work in the hospital. As you probably already know baller pain people don’t do cases in the hospital. Not saying I’m a baller bc I’m not. The ones that do cases in the hospital may get a cut of the SOS but still don’t kill it financially. In my opinion I’d say most pain procedures are better suited for the outpatient setting. Pain cases in the hospital are way too slow. The overhead is waaaaaay too high - gotta pay the cafeteria workers, 8th floor, subsidize the ID department, pay for some endowed char, cover someone’s research time, pay for OT for that nurse taking care of the rock etc.

I’d take a room full of full spine cases vs SCS all day in terms of profitability. But SCS don’t need to be in the hospital and IMHO shouldn’t be in the hospital.

I’m hesitant to tell you what a full day of pain cases can net. You can ask a local rep the reimbursement on a SCS trial in terms of pro fees and facility fees. In the hospital the hospital gets the squeeze. In the ASC the owners get it.

In my community small ASC there wouldn’t be spine surgeons every day of the week. As you know most spine cases usually undergo some conservative blocks before they get surgery. In addition in order to increase EBIDTA its better to have a multi speciality practice. So I’d argue if we look at one day of cases it would be nice to optimize it with spine cases all day. But in terms of practice management, increasing business evaluation, and responding to community needs it is better long term and on a macro level to include other lesser paying specialities.

Whoever is shotgunning the meds needs to do a better job of understanding the meds. It’s not Gabapentins fault. To be fair I’m not a huge fan of Gabapentin and I find it in many cases to have more downsides than benefits in certain cases. Hence the appreciation for celebrex, blocks, local infiltration, ketamine bolus, lido, mag, precedex in certain cases, etc. of course not every case gets these. Just saying there are options

If the surgeon will just prescribe opioids then sit down with her, explain your concerns, offer to develop a pathway, explain your reasoning, get buy in etc. Again, indiscriminate use of opioids by us (anesthesiologists) or surgeons isn’t doing our patient any favors.

Agreed.

———————————

• Love
^catheters have fallen out of favor because they’re labor intensive for staff and management team on the floors. Many times they get pulled out on the floors inadvertently and then you’re back at square 1. This is why many practices do single shot blocks.

“Anesthesia “ canceled case, the way he refers to us I can almost 99.9 percent say he is a physiatrist. Will never relate to us or understand what we do. Anesthesiologist Pain physicians know better.

Reactions: 7 users
No I wouldn’t. I’m unconscious.

I don’t work in the hospital. As you probably already know baller pain people don’t do cases in the hospital. Not saying I’m a baller bc I’m not. The ones that do cases in the hospital may get a cut of the SOS but still don’t kill it financially. In my opinion I’d say most pain procedures are better suited for the outpatient setting. Pain cases in the hospital are way too slow. The overhead is waaaaaay too high - gotta pay the cafeteria workers, 8th floor, subsidize the ID department, pay for some endowed char, cover someone’s research time, pay for OT for that nurse taking care of the rock etc.

I’d take a room full of full spine cases vs SCS all day in terms of profitability. But SCS don’t need to be in the hospital and IMHO shouldn’t be in the hospital.

I’m hesitant to tell you what a full day of pain cases can net. You can ask a local rep the reimbursement on a SCS trial in terms of pro fees and facility fees. In the hospital the hospital gets the squeeze. In the ASC the owners get it.

In my community small ASC there wouldn’t be spine surgeons every day of the week. As you know most spine cases usually undergo some conservative blocks before they get surgery. In addition in order to increase EBIDTA its better to have a multi speciality practice. So I’d argue if we look at one day of cases it would be nice to optimize it with spine cases all day. But in terms of practice management, increasing business evaluation, and responding to community needs it is better long term and on a macro level to include other lesser paying specialities.

Whoever is shotgunning the meds needs to do a better job of understanding the meds. It’s not Gabapentins fault. To be fair I’m not a huge fan of Gabapentin and I find it in many cases to have more downsides than benefits in certain cases. Hence the appreciation for celebrex, blocks, local infiltration, ketamine bolus, lido, mag, precedex in certain cases, etc. of course not every case gets these. Just saying there are options

If the surgeon will just prescribe opioids then sit down with her, explain your concerns, offer to develop a pathway, explain your reasoning, get buy in etc. Again, indiscriminate use of opioids by us (anesthesiologists) or surgeons isn’t doing our patient any favors.

Agreed.

———————————
So, you are saying that if someone is unconscious they do not need analgesia. Interesting. Sedation/hypnosis is not the same as analgesia. Propofol obviously provides the former and does not provide the latter.

This PM&R guys works in a hospital setting for his cases. Not sure why we are talking about an ASC. The issue is that this guy is likely not a proceduralist in the OR with a lot of clout to dictate who staffs his cases and who doesn't. I doubt the OR administration really cares what this guy thinks.

So, you sit down with every surgeon that prescribes opioids to their patients upon discharge (which is probably >97% of surgeries)? Something tells me you don't a lot of non-ASC anesthesia OR cases. Most of our cases have some sort of ERAS multimodal analgesia protocol that is not individualized to each patient. There is nothing wrong with multimodal analgesia. But there is something wrong with not individualizing it to the patient and not appropriately administering opioids when indicated. Giving most patients pre-operative celecoxib/gapabentinoid/Tylenol and intraoperative ketamine/lidocaine/magnesium/dexmedetomidine/esmolol and zero opioids is hardly appropriate. We are all aware of the non-opioid options. The reluctance to give opioids for moderate-to-severe acute pain is ridiculous, especially when >95% are given opioids postoperatively.