Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

SCUT Work?!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ZekeMD, Apr 5, 2004.

1. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    How are applicants supposed to know how much "Scut work" a particular school is known for? I assume you'd ask current 3rd and 4th year students, but what if I don't know any :confused: ? Is there any way we could start some sort of list for schools known for a ton of scut work and those with not so much, or would that be too hard? Hopefully Rochester doesn't have much since i'm already committed to going there.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. You can ask anyone. Some schools are know for having alot, some hardly any, but most its probably a neutral issue.

UCLA has very little I know...

4. canada

canada Member
    7+ Year Member

what is scut work?

5. Heal&Teach

Heal&Teach cogito ergo sum
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  6. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

is it appropriate to ask this q in an interview? what types of measures do med schools have to minimize scutt

7. i don't know, we actually ended up talking about it my ucla interview and i said minimal scut is very appealing/ something i am looking for. i didn't get in though :)

8. thewebthsp

thewebthsp Shoobeedoowap
    10+ Year Member

Well I hear there's "good scut" (calling for consults, doing logistical stuff for intellectual challenge of patient care) and "bad scut" (wheeling around patients to the X ray, getting your in-charge coffee (INSTEAD of doing some important clinical work), doing the same thing over and over again without doing other things in a rotation).

Sure some scut is menial, but I think as long as you learn from it it's fine, whereas if you consistently don't then it's a waste.

9. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

do med students have the opportunity to (anonymously?) evaluate or provide feedback to their superiors?

10. nibrocli

nibrocli Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think it's ok if you convey that you're not asking b/c you think you're above scut, but that you're concerned about it b/c you're there to learn as much as you can during clerkships.

11. mosoriire

mosoriire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I asked my interviwer...And she told me that pretty much, you will do a lot of scut in this school, but it's not the bad scut, it will build your character, help you understand the inter-departmental nature of medicall care here. blah, blah, blah....

I also asked my student interviewer....