SCUT Work?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are applicants supposed to know how much "Scut work" a particular school is known for? I assume you'd ask current 3rd and 4th year students, but what if I don't know any :confused: ? Is there any way we could start some sort of list for schools known for a ton of scut work and those with not so much, or would that be too hard? Hopefully Rochester doesn't have much since i'm already committed to going there.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ZekeMD
How are applicants supposed to know how much "Scut work" a particular school is known for? I assume you'd ask current 3rd and 4th year students, but what if I don't know any :confused: ? Is there any way we could start some sort of list for schools known for a ton of scut work and those with not so much, or would that be too hard? Hopefully Rochester doesn't have much since i'm already committed to going there.

You can ask anyone. Some schools are know for having alot, some hardly any, but most its probably a neutral issue.

UCLA has very little I know...

Members don't see this ad :)
is it appropriate to ask this q in an interview? what types of measures do med schools have to minimize scutt

Originally posted by jhk43
is it appropriate to ask this q in an interview? what types of measures do med schools have to minimize scutt

i don't know, we actually ended up talking about it my ucla interview and i said minimal scut is very appealing/ something i am looking for. i didn't get in though :)

Well I hear there's "good scut" (calling for consults, doing logistical stuff for intellectual challenge of patient care) and "bad scut" (wheeling around patients to the X ray, getting your in-charge coffee (INSTEAD of doing some important clinical work), doing the same thing over and over again without doing other things in a rotation).

Sure some scut is menial, but I think as long as you learn from it it's fine, whereas if you consistently don't then it's a waste.

do med students have the opportunity to (anonymously?) evaluate or provide feedback to their superiors?

Originally posted by jhk43

i think it's ok if you convey that you're not asking b/c you think you're above scut, but that you're concerned about it b/c you're there to learn as much as you can during clerkships.

I asked my interviwer...And she told me that pretty much, you will do a lot of scut in this school, but it's not the bad scut, it will build your character, help you understand the inter-departmental nature of medicall care here. blah, blah, blah....

I also asked my student interviewer....