Scutwork review on Univ of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just came across this review on scutwork. Can someone please validate this?

[FONT=verdana, arial]Fellow. [FONT=verdana, arial]Overall Rating:
stars-3.gif
. [FONT=verdana, arial] 17-Aug- 2009.
[FONT=verdana, arial] [FONT=verdana, arial]Teaching:.
stars-4.gif
[FONT=verdana, arial]Atmosphere:.
stars-3.gif
[FONT=verdana, arial]Research:.
stars-2.gif
Schedule
Just graduated and recently there have been lots of changes in this program (which I hear are not necessarily better).
You rotate at five different hospitals and it can be very annoying to have five different computer systems that you never get to know enough. Most of the inpatient rotations are q4 with overnight calls, including the ICU. There is frequent violation of the 30 hours rule during these rotations.
Typical day as an intern: get to the hospital between 5:30-6:30 depending on work load. Rounds start at 8 and last until around noon. No more morning report or noon conference, since only a few had time to attend anyway. Now they started the Wednesday morning teaching sessions during the elective months and I hear they are very good. It's good to be able to pay attention to the lecture and not be stressed out by the pager.
Teaching
The faculty can be top notch in most of the fields. Attending-resident relationships are very good for the most part. No more morning report or noon conference..only Wednesday morning teaching sessions, which is good.
Atmosphere
Camaraderie is good. Less malignant atmosphere when compared to the East Coast. Percentage of foreign medical graduates in the program: close to zero; not FMG friendly I did not have a life outside work during my residency.
Conclusion
Pros: -good learning experience, mainly because you are faced with such a terrible workload -The faculty can be top notch in most of the fields. -easy to get a fellowship -they started Wednesday teaching sessions this year which I hear are good, mainly because that is protected time for teaching -atmosphere among residents continues to be OK, although sometimes due to stress and fatigue there can be conflictual episodes Cons: -violation of duty hours occurs frequently -jeopardy is abused big times; 95% of cases you get called for jeopardy because people cap, which happens very frequently, since it is such a huge program; when you are on jeopardy, there is basically 50% chances that you will get called in the middle of the night because somebody capped; we only hear excuses and nothing really happens to fix this problem that has been going on for years. -during most of the inpatient rotations you need to function as a "resintern" , meaning that you only have one intern in your team and so as an upper level you do as many H@Ps as the intern plus you need to supervise and staff all the admissions with your intern. -all the dictations are done by the upper level -at the University Hospital,the ICU residents are often pulled of the ICU to help the medicine team admit when they cap; you are still responsible for what happens in the ICU when you are not there!! -there is no protected time for research; you get 3 half days of continuity clinic per week when you are doing research, plus you can get called in on jeopardy. -there is no protected time to go to interviews for fellowship; you need to use your own vacation/free time for this. I feel prepared now that I finished, but I am so glad that I am done with my residency !! I would not choose this program again, since I do value life outside hospital and there is a lot of abuse regarding duty hours in this program. 50% of the residents stay on primary care and 50% get into fellowships, some very competitive. Getting into a fellowship from this program does not seem to be an issue. OK to e-mail me if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not base much off that review, everybody will have a different opinion at the end. I graduated from colorado for med school earlier this year. I absolutely loved the medicine program. The people are amazing. In fact, it is THE reason why I probably chose to go into medicine. Ask me if you have any questions. I have lots of friends who stayed there from my class (which should speak a lot for it).

As for research, I had no problem finding a research project as a fourth year med student with the div. of interventional cards and getting a publication out of it.

Last edited:
What are the average step scores for university of colorado? I scored a 231 on step 1 and come from a small school in south east. I have some research. I am trying to see if I am competitive. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not base much off that review, everybody will have a different opinion at the end. I graduated from colorado for med school earlier this year. I absolutely loved the medicine program. The people are amazing. In fact, it is THE reason why I probably chose to go into medicine. Ask me if you have any questions. I have lots of friends who stayed there from my class (which should speak a lot for it).

As for research, I had no problem finding a research project as a fourth year med student with the div. of interventional cards and getting a publication out of it.

That is what I thought. I always thought very highly of Univ of Colorado, till I saw this review on scutwork - hence, thanks for the clarification. I think when med students choose to go to their own school for residency, its a positive sign. Thanks!

Bump.

I just came across this thread, and was wondering if anyone had any further thoughts on this program. I am very interested in the program and have heard people speak highly of it, but it is never nice to hear the types of criticisms mentioned in the scutwork review that is quoted by the OP (work hour violations, poor teaching, stress and conflict among the residents).

I would really appreciate any other opinions, either by people who have interviewed there, U of Colorado med students, or residents.

I'm a 4th yr student at CU, and I'd be happy to stay in Colorado for residency. I can't say exactly how it compares to other programs in the country. My impression is that the residents work hard and are well trained. I know there are gripes with the program. I would not describe it as cushy. But most of the residents seem happy - I enjoyed them as a med student. I think the VA and Denver Health are great teaching sites. Downsides to Colorado for me are its size and having the different clinical sites fairly spread out across the city. The new University Hospital is on a beautiful campus, but it's a pretty long commute from any part of town I would want to live in (30 minutes with traffic). But that's really nitpicking. I think it's a good place.