sdn addiction- how to get over it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

der2002

MSU CVM 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I think I check sdn nearly as often as my email and it's getting a little out of hand. Must...wean...off...

Anyone else fall into this category? I'm hoping that once I start vet school, I won't have the time (or for that matter, the energy) to do so ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously, I think I check sdn nearly as often as my email and it's getting a little out of hand. Must...wean...off...

Anyone else fall into this category? I'm hoping that once I start vet school, I won't have the time (or for that matter, the energy) to do so ;)

Yep, I'm afraid that unless I blow up my computer I won't be able to stop. Or maybe I just need to get some real life friends. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. I'm always online b/c of my cell phone, too, so SDN is always in my pocket, singing its siren song.

I'm just trying to keep busy, which keeps me away, lol.

Uhhh.. I think you're asking the wrong people.

For me part of the problem is that SDN is a link to what I want to be doing rather than all these other annoying things that I have to do first to get there.

been addicted since i applied! i think it was great during the interview process though. i met a lot of SDN pre-vets and also some current vet students! no regrets about being addicted this year. I have a feeling once i start school i will be so overwhelmed i wont have time for SDN as much. i will stay active to help other pre-vets but i probably will cut my SDN time by 75%. right now, im basically on all day while at work haha

Must step away from SDN...need to study for anatomy lab practical that I have in an hour and a half. Must study. SDN is way too addicting. :smuggrin:

I'm studying now for biochem II but I find myself taking a break every 20 minutes and refreshing the SDN page....so bad...

omg i'm addicted too - its a great resource/fun and nice to discuss things with other pre-vetters
i find that having other things to do/being busy is a helpful remedy :) ... however i currently have rather a lot of free time :p

I'm studying now for biochem II but I find myself taking a break every 20 minutes and refreshing the SDN page....so bad...

I'm studying now for parasitology. Everytime I take a break, I check SDN.

My addiction comes in waves... I was addicted when I first started like three years ago... then I kinda forgot it exists... then something absolutely horrible happens and I come on here, become addicted again... forget it exists... have a question, so I'm back on here again...

For me part of the problem is that SDN is a link to what I want to be doing rather than all these other annoying things that I have to do first to get there.
:laugh: This is so true and I feel exactly the same way. The real question is what will we do when we are finally vets and we have no more "pre-vet" questions? :laugh:

Uhhh.. I think you're asking the wrong people.

This is my problem too. I'd rather daydream about posting my acceptance stats or even just read about vet school than be studying for my genetics exam:rolleyes:

OP, try to keep yourself busy. I haven't been checking as much because I've been up to my eyeballs in all kinds of stuff - stuff that's important to my upcoming application. Try to think of it that way? Good luck in fighting your addiction :)

Members don't see this ad :)
terribly addicted!! I hope to stay on next year too to help people applying since I was helped so much.

:laugh: The real question is what will we do when we are finally vets and we have no more "pre-vet" questions? :laugh:

Come back to help answer all the pre-vets Q's, lol

I will say that my SDN addiction took a backseat since starting classes this fall until this last little semi-lull in exams, so I did manage to pull myself away for that... but like a true addict, when opportunity presents...

Woo hoo! I finished my anatomy practical so now I can look at SDN as much as I want without feeling guilty (to a degree.) Good Luck to all of those studying for exams/finals and try to stay away from SDN if you can!! I know how hard it is. :luck:

I'm definitely glad that I had sdn as a resource during the application process and I too hope to help out next year's applicants...

for the time being, though, sdn is soo much better than studying calc-based physics <sigh>

Okay, I decided I was NOT going to post any messages today. I was going to stay focused. Just check SDN once or twice as a break.

Uh, that didn't go so well. I think I posted 10+ messages. I am a binge user.

I need an intervention.

yeahhh i was addicted too. but now that im in vet school, i rarely ever check it anymore...so yea, vet school will cure you of your addiction! LOL. But I still try to check it to give advice when i can :D

yeahhh i was addicted too. but now that im in vet school, i rarely ever check it anymore...so yea, vet school will cure you of your addiction! LOL. But I still try to check it to give advice when i can :D

I have just tranferred my addiction to VIN and try to come back here to give advice on ocassion.

So vet school may or may not help!

Hmmm...I think my addiction is based on how my personal life is going. I had some pretty terrible stuff come up a while ago, so I was MIA for a while. But I always enjoying coming on here for questions, encouragement, and just to chat with people who are passionate about vet med too! Y'all are great :)

We Are Borg!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED..

:looks at post count since join date:

'Nuff said, right there. It's hopeless.

CONGRATS!!! with our informative computer convo you have just passed 1,000 posts! :highfive: lol

Should I feel guilty for recommending that others get on SDN? :p I guess that makes me a bad influence and an enabler! I've definitely been addicted before, but I've been so busy lately that I haven't had much time to read everything and I feel so out of the loop!!

I am too. Addicted, and have recommended this site. Is it really that much of a problem? It's better than... ummm... well, I don't know what I'd do with my free time. Maybe sleep? :p

I feel like the slower it is on SDN, the more frantically I refresh to update the page. It's like I'm craaaazed... esp when i'm feeling unmotivated at work.

I have just tranferred my addiction to VIN and try to come back here to give advice on ocassion.

So vet school may or may not help!

haha, I can't wait to be assigned my student email address from vet school so I can sign up for VIN vet student membership!
the obsession continues...

What is VIN? Is it like sdn or something?

haha, I can't wait to be assigned my student email address from vet school so I can sign up for VIN vet student membership!
the obsession continues...

You gotta wait until August to start your vet student membership for class of 2014. At least, that's what I was told when I emailed to ask (because I already have a ucdavis email address).

You gotta wait until August to start your vet student membership for class of 2014. At least, that's what I was told when I emailed to ask (because I already have a ucdavis email address).

Even if school starts earlier than August? Like July 1st for Miss. state?

Tell me about it! As soon as I registered, I started leaving this page up at work all day and checking (compulsively?) it while the office is slow.

Desk job + SDN = less monotony at boring job.

:( I have to wait until classes start?

I just got access to my e-mail address & account for U of Edinburgh last week! Yay!

What would you say is the number of posts you should have to be considered an addict? I guess even those who don't post can be addicted too. I'm surprised I even have a life when I take into consideration how much time I spend on this site

I'm on here a ton, even when I'm not logged in... But I'll stop coming on here in a few weeks when I go home. It's just not worth the hassle of dial-up!

silly folks :laugh:

it's not the number of posts per day that defines you as an sdn addict. it's the number of times you check/log-on the website per hour!

silly folks :laugh:

it's not the number of posts per day that defines you as an sdn addict. it's the number of times you check/log-on the website per hour!

I never log out. And it is always up when I am at home....:p

By the way my posts per day= 3.36 so not quite as many as TT. :D

BEST AND SUREST CURE FOR YOUR SDN ADDICTION....Your 1st year of vetschool!:D

Tiktaalik: 5.73 ppd!

I'm winning! Or is it losing? :(