SDN>>>MSI, Should I take another :( gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passionseeking

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start this off by saying that the feedback and comments from this sub is amazing, people tend to think I'm a troll or something lol because I ask a lot of silly questions, but I appreciate all the feedback I get from them. There's a ton of knowledge on here and I'm always learning new things everytime I post.

Secondly PSA, do NOT waste your money on MSI, saved saved and saved up money and paid 300 dollars for advising. The guy I got didn't ask once about anything besides GPA or MCAT, no ECs whatsoever, in an hour long interview his advice to me was to get a 515 on the MCAT and as long as I'm black that'll be enough to get me in anywhere. He said ECs didn't matter, which is the opposite of what I hear on here.

My question to him is a similar one that I've asked on here before. Basically application time is upon us which means my gap year is ending. I'll sum up my stats as concise as possible, GPA 3.6, s3.4, MCAT (June 4), 400 hours medical assistant paid, 200 EMT volunteer, 100 physical therapy tech volunteer, 50 food for homeless, 150 cleaning up environment, 6 track records, 4 college sports, started my own track club, lead actor in several plays, URM, 80 hours research, involved in many clubs, yadda yadda.

My plan was to apply this cycle and I ideally wanted to get into any MD school. However I feel like ( not a troll, I could be wrong, probably wrong) if I spent a year dedicated to doing things like research and impressive stuff that I could have a decent shot at a top school.

I know I'm being judged for that statement, but it's not because I want clout or prestige or anything. It's because 1) I learned about how if you're a very competitive applicant and get into a top school, you can get a lot of aid 2) apparently the connections at those schools are very very valuable, working with noble laureates for instance 3) I have interests in the business side of healthcare, and one of the only interesting pieces of info that my MSI advisor gave me was that most of Stanford's medical class doesn't even go onto residency and instead they go into business, not saying I want to do that but it's from all the once in a lifetime opportunities they receive.

So I guess my questions are 1) hypothetically, let's say I scored a 515+ on the mcat slightly later into the cycle, how successful could I be?
2) Would it be worth it to just take another gap year, not even in the hopes of getting into a top school but maybe just getting in somewhere in general, I know my hours like research are lacking

Members don't see this ad.

Activities wise you're pretty solid. Nothing "wow," but well rounded overall. If you want to aim for research heavy schools, it's probably best to improve your research experience.

Talk of "top schools" is useless without an MCAT.

Taking the MCAT early June will still make you relatively early with regards to application completion, so that should have no effect on your chances.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Thank
Activities wise you're pretty solid. Nothing "wow," but well rounded overall. If you want to aim for research heavy schools, it's probably best to improve your research experience.

Talk of "top schools" is useless without an MCAT.

Taking the MCAT early June will still make you relatively early with regards to application completion, so that should have no effect on your chances.
Thank you for the reply! Guess I'll check back in with an MCAT

So I guess my questions are 1) hypothetically, let's say I scored a 515+ on the mcat slightly later into the cycle, how successful could I be?
Don't waste our time with hypotheticals. Come back when you have a real MCAT score and then we can advise on chances. In addition, single metrics do NOT make an app.
2) Would it be worth it to just take another gap year, not even in the hopes of getting into a top school but maybe just getting in somewhere in general, I know my hours like research are lacking
You apply when you have the best possible app.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a plan
Don't waste our time with hypotheticals. Come back when you have a real MCAT score and then we can advise on chances. In addition, single metrics do NOT make an app.

You apply when you have the best possible app.

Reactions: 1 user
Regardless of how well you do on your MCAT, don't delay a competitive application just for ideations of getting into a top school. All that is is hubris because it likely won't matter and anyone is lucky to get in anywhere. If you want to take a gap year, then that's great (and probably the best thing I ever did) but if you're only taking it because you think you can get into a T20 with it then you're better off without it (especially with a respectable but subpar GPA). Remember that every year delayed is a year more of debt, a year less of retirement, a year less of salary, a year more of your youth spent in school/residency, etc...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Is this the second or third time you have posted basically the very same questions/post? Nothing has changed. You still don’t have a MCAT, your ECs are okay, nothing fabulous but okay for applying. You have been told all of this several times in previous posts. You have also been told that chances for anyone at a TOP school is slim. Your focus should be about getting into a medical school-any medical school. After rereading all of your posts I’m not even sure you want to be a doctor. But I’m pretty sure you want someone on here to tell you to apply because you are a shoe in. And that’s not going to happen. Applying to med school is a very personal experience and none of us can tell you that you should go ahead and that you will be successful. You have to apply when you are ready.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just a FYI- it seems like quite a lot of the Stanford class are in fact going to move on to Residency programs.

STANFORD SCHOOL OF MEDICINE 2021

SpecialtyProgram
AnesthesiologyHOP
AnesthesiologyMGH
AnesthesiologyStanford
AnesthesiologyStanford
AnesthesiologyStanford
Child NeurologyMGH
Child NeurologyStanford
DermatologyHOP
DermatologyMGH
DermatologyStanford
Emergency MedicineBrown
Emergency MedicineBrown
Emergency MedicineHarbor UCLA
Emergency MedicineHOP
Emergency MedicineMGH
Emergency MedicineUCSD
Emergency MedicineUCSF Fresno
ENTLoma Linda
ENTStanford
ENTStanford
ENTStanford
ENTU of Minnesota
Family MedicineStanford
Family MedicineStanford
General SurgeryBWH
General SurgeryMGH
General SurgeryStanford
General SurgeryStanford
Internal MedicineBJH
Internal MedicineBWH
Internal MedicineBWH
Internal MedicineBWH
Internal MedicineBWH
Internal MedicineBWH
Internal MedicineMGH
Internal MedicineMGH
Internal MedicineNorthwestern
Internal MedicineStanford
Internal MedicineStanford
Internal MedicineU of Chicago
Internal MedicineU of Washington
Internal MedicineUCSF
Internal MedicineUTSW
Internal MedicineUTSW
Medicine - PrelimBWH
NeurologyHOP
NeurologyUCSF
NeurosurgeryMGH
NeurosurgeryStanford
NeurosurgeryU of Miami
OBGYNKaiser SF
OBGYNNYP Columbia
OBGYNStanford
OBGYNStanford
OBGYNStanford
OBGYNU of Minnesota
OphthalmologyBPEI
OphthalmologyDuke
OphthalmologyMEEI
OphthalmologyMGH
OphthalmologyStanford
OphthalmologyUCSF
OphthalmologyUSC
OphthalmologyWills
OphthalmologyWUSTL
Orthopedic SurgeryMGH
Orthopedic SurgeryStanford
Orthopedic SurgeryStanford
Orthopedic SurgeryUCLA
Orthopedic SurgeryUCSF
PathologyBWH
PathologyStanford
PathologyStanford
PathologyUCSF
PediatricsChildren' Hospital Boston
PediatricsChildren' Hospital Boston
PediatricsCHOP
PediatricsCHOP
PediatricsCHOP
PediatricsStanford
PediatricsStanford
Plastic SurgeryBWH
Plastic SurgeryStanford
PsychiatryISMMS Mt. Sinai
PsychiatryKern Med
PsychiatryNYP Columbia
PsychiatryStanford
PsychiatryStanford
PsychiatryStanford
PsychiatryStanford
PsychiatryU of Vermont
Thoracic SurgeryStanford
UrologyMGH

Since when is a 3.6 gpa (3.4 science) competitive for a top school? Wasn’t the average MD acceptance 3.8 last year?

• Haha
Since when is a 3.6 gpa (3.4 science) competitive for a top school? Wasn’t the average MD acceptance 3.8 last year?
In OP's case, it would be good enough to make a competitive app that could get in somewhere given their ECs and URM status.

They are not competitive for top tier schools though.

In OP's case, it would be good enough to make a competitive app that could get in somewhere given their ECs and URM status.

They are not competitive for top tier schools though.
Yeah, that’s what I’m saying. Why wait another year to gun for “top tier” with a 3.6 gpa? I don’t think a year of research would offset that. It’s fine for regular MD assuming MCAT is decent.