SDN Pharmacy Salary Survey Interest

Started by 914451
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

9

914451

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking of putting one together. It would collect data anonymously of course. Some things of interest would be salary, bonus, benefits, geographic location, type of practice, years of experience. I just want to gauge interest and get any suggests for what you want included.
 
I was thinking of putting one together. It would collect data anonymously of course. Some things of interest would be salary, bonus, benefits, geographic location, type of practice, years of experience. I just want to gauge interest and get any suggests for what you want included.
you should also include hours worked per week.... If you make 150k a year but work 60 hours a week its kind of misleading
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Salary: roughly $150,000 ($70/hour, usually work at least 40 hours/week, often more)
Bonus: Around $4,000 pre-tax this past year
Geo: Northern California
Practice: Retail
Years of experience: 2 years
Work schedule: varies, but these days, 12:30pm-9pm on Mondays, 9am-9pm Wednesdays and Fridays, and 10am-6pm Saturdays, with 30 minute lunch.
Benefits: pretty standard: 80 vacation hours (if we don't use them, they get paid out), 401k match, decent health benefits, stock purchase plan... I don't use enough of the nitty-gritty to be too familiar with them.
 
Last edited:
Damn look at all these pharmacist in Cali living the good life. I only make 125k on 40hr wk on the east coast .
Y'all make me jealous
 
Damn look at all these pharmacist in Cali living the good life. I only make 125k on 40hr wk on the east coast .
Y'all make me jealous
Avg CA rphs makes 140-170k socal to bay area, we also have 3BR SFR 1500 sqft for $700k to 1.5M. Wanna come?
 
Damn look at all these pharmacist in Cali living the good life. I only make 125k on 40hr wk on the east coast .
Y'all make me jealous

I think I'll take my mini mansion in the mid west for the cost of an apartment in cal and retire while I'm still relatively young.
 
$128k/year salaried staff pharmacist, with $66/hour on anything extra than my 80/pay period.
Finished my first year at $147k pretax.

Been in practice for a bit over a year. 25 years old, Debt free (except my mortgage), and working all the OT before it’s not an option or until my body can’t handle it.
 
luls no one wants to live there. But maybe, you do want to live in 120F with sh1tty schools, health care, food? Be my guess. Ain't for me.

Do you care about that stuff at this point in your life? Schools? (unless you are referring to the general education level of your customers), Healthcare? (Do you use it?) Food? (knowing your frugality you could just cook this yourself, I mean if you can compound butt paste a souffle is not much harder).

As for me, I make more hourly than anyone has so far thus mentioned plus live in a brand new 4000 sqft house with a cinema room that cost me less than 280k.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$132k
Indie PIC
40 hrs a week
Typically 1 hour lunch but some times longer if I want muhahahaha
2 week PTO
Health insurance.
Occasional paid travel/vacation bc the owner is awesome.
 
Do you care about that stuff at this point in your life? Schools? (unless you are referring to the general education level of your customers), Healthcare? (Do you use it?) Food? (knowing your frugality you could just cook this yourself, I mean if you can compound butt paste a souffle is not much harder).

As for me, I make more hourly than anyone has so far thus mentioned plus live in a brand new 4000 sqft house with a cinema room that cost me less than 280k.
I don't have kids yet. Rural public school in CA rated poorly 2-4/10.

Specialists, better hospital. Better food. Better whether, entertainment, long weekend drive to the cities (that's all the people who live in sh1tty area do), and more hot girls who make $ as potential wife 🙂 If you get one of them, boom, double your income lmao. There are many 300k cheap houses in El Centro, Blythe and BFE in general, but you can't pay me to live there even if they raise it to 85/h, still NOT worth it.
 
I don't have kids yet. Rural public school in CA rated poorly 2-4/10.

Specialists, better hospital. Better food. Better whether, entertainment, long weekend drive to the cities (that's all the people who live in sh1tty area do), and more hot girls who make $ as potential wife 🙂 If you get one of them, boom, double your income lmao. There are many 300k cheap houses in El Centro, Blythe and BFE in general, but you can't pay me to live there even if they raise it to 85/h, still NOT worth it.
You’ll probably be single forever, you sound like a co*k sucker lol I’d rather live where I live. I have a huge 5 bedroom house and 2 6 figure vehicles. Two times a year take a week vacation to Mexico or wherever. Rest of the year get to work 55-60 hour weeks and take home $5500ish biweekly. Yes Biweekly.
Don’t really give a **** about hospitals near me, schools or places to eat. I eat the same thing every day to stay in shape. I probably look like I live on the coast more than you playboy.
 
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what entertainment they are getting that they have to live in California. What is it the bars, concerts? These are everywhere.

People need to realize at some point they are going to grow out of this and that "hot chick" isn't going to stay hot forever (except my wife).

You just spent six years in college. How about slowing down and going out every other weekend and not every day?
 
You’ll probably be single forever, you sound like a co*k sucker lol I’d rather live where I live. I have a huge 5 bedroom house and 2 6 figure vehicles. Two times a year take a week vacation to Mexico or wherever. Rest of the year get to work 55-60 hour weeks and take home $5500ish biweekly. Yes Biweekly.
Don’t really give a **** about hospitals near me, schools or places to eat. I eat the same thing every day to stay in shape. I probably look like I live on the coast more than you playboy.
Sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder.

Gigantic houses stress me out. I don't need all of that space. It would just get filled with more junk that I don't need.
 
You’ll probably be single forever, you sound like a co*k sucker lol I’d rather live where I live. I have a huge 5 bedroom house and 2 6 figure vehicles. Two times a year take a week vacation to Mexico or wherever. Rest of the year get to work 55-60 hour weeks and take home $5500ish biweekly. Yes Biweekly.
Don’t really give a **** about hospitals near me, schools or places to eat. I eat the same thing every day to stay in shape. I probably look like I live on the coast more than you playboy.

Working 55-60 hour weeks year round sounds like hell.
 
You’ll probably be single forever, you sound like a co*k sucker lol I’d rather live where I live. I have a huge 5 bedroom house and 2 6 figure vehicles. Two times a year take a week vacation to Mexico or wherever. Rest of the year get to work 55-60 hour weeks and take home $5500ish biweekly. Yes Biweekly.
Don’t really give a **** about hospitals near me, schools or places to eat. I eat the same thing every day to stay in shape. I probably look like I live on the coast more than you playboy.
Zzz... I still make more without working any extra shifts with assets that generate (70-100k/yr assuming I get 4% return). Not sure why you need to brag about living in your BFE sh1tty area with crappy wheather getting an extra $10/hr base pay and boast about your big 5 BR house. I promise I'm not gonna be jealous looooool. I will take all the good stuff SD has to offer 🙂 I am not short sighted, kids gonna come. I ain't raising them in sh1tty area. Gf as professional (+50/hr), I don't hang out with broke chicks, I ain't no sugar daddy. I'm setting my self up having a double income household working 0 extra hours in a great area. Enjoy your BFE.
 
Doubt there's much interest in a salary survey from practicing pharmacists, maybe pre-pharmers. We all know how much pharmacists make because the salary range isn't wide and because of Glassdoor. Even less interest in how much money people are making with overtime...
 
Last edited:
110k in BFE appalachia
70 hours salary in outpatient hell
7on 7 off. Nights and weekends
and the worst politics I have ever seen. Seriously, the worst job I've ever had by far. I just keep reminding people on what doctor to go to for a referral and I always pick another hospital and even the patient agrees with me before I finish. This place touts their bariatric surgery and I've know 3 people to expire within 90 days of surgery. Management can elevate or collapse a company and when you have no clinical experience in the executive process then remember to turn off of the light when you leave.
 
Last edited:
Do you care about that stuff at this point in your life? Schools? (unless you are referring to the general education level of your customers), Healthcare? (Do you use it?) Food? (knowing your frugality you could just cook this yourself, I mean if you can compound butt paste a souffle is not much harder).

As for me, I make more hourly than anyone has so far thus mentioned plus live in a brand new 4000 sqft house with a cinema room that cost me less than 280k.

Where is a new house 70 psf?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My boss provides me with a hard and throbbing six figure salary. I also get compensated extra for working nights. Things can get hairy sometimes but I try to keep it organized.
 
It was a builder's model and they were leaving the neighborhood purchased prettymuch right at the bottom of the market, was a very nice deal.

Your comment about a brand new house threw me off. The bottom of the market was ~2011. A lot of housing prices have more than doubled since then, at least in the areas where I live. I'm glad your timing worked out well for you though.
 
You’ll probably be single forever, you sound like a co*k sucker lol I’d rather live where I live. I have a huge 5 bedroom house and 2 6 figure vehicles. Two times a year take a week vacation to Mexico or wherever. Rest of the year get to work 55-60 hour weeks and take home $5500ish biweekly. Yes Biweekly.
Don’t really give a **** about hospitals near me, schools or places to eat. I eat the same thing every day to stay in shape. I probably look like I live on the coast more than you playboy.

This is my dream lifestyle minus the 5 bedroom houses ( I'm single with no kids), but then i can put the four other rooms on Airbnb and make passive income of them (huge liability though). if you don't mind telling us where you are staying or sending me a PM of where you are and if your organization is hiring. I'm 110% all ears.
 
Salary: $190,000 (40hrs/week)
Geo: Northern California/SF Bay Area
Practice: Oncology/Specialty (was inpatient crit care)
years of experience: 6 years (w/ residency & board certification)
bonus: good vacation package, extra week of paid time off w/ board cert, okay health benefits, okay matching.
 
I'll chime in as a non-CA pharmacist 😉

126k in a major northeastern US city, 40hr per week. 2 years of experience. 5 weeks paid vacation (not including holidays), I pay like $50 a month for Cadillac health insurance. High cost of living, crippling taxes, great job though.
 
Salary: $190,000 (40hrs/week)
Geo: Northern California/SF Bay Area
Practice: Oncology/Specialty (was inpatient crit care)
years of experience: 6 years (w/ residency & board certification)
bonus: good vacation package, extra week of paid time off w/ board cert, okay health benefits, okay matching.

You are now the 3rd person I know to switch from an inpatient specialty (Crit care or ID) to oncology. How was the transition and are you happy?
 
You are now the 3rd person I know to switch from an inpatient specialty (Crit care or ID) to oncology. How was the transition and are you happy?

Learning curve is STEEEEEP, but a lot more relaxed like an office environment vs. being in the trenches of cardiac alarms and general chaos. Bankers hours are nice now with life changes. The increased patient contact is interesting and not as uncomfortable as I thought, still wrapping myself around the whole outpatient contact and follow up piece.

I really like that I can take a deep dive in onc and really have time to get into a patient, their dx, and regimen. I rarely had time inpatient, had to outsource learning to students (we have students at this site, though), and juggle chaos while quickly scanning labs/treatment to get through rounds.

I still sub into our ICU when other staff are on vacation and I help deal with inpatient chemotherapy admissions (sometimes to ICU), so I kind of get the best of both worlds (not getting rusty with inpatient skills). But the longer I’m in onc, the slower I feel in the unit, but most of our staff recoil at heme/onc so it’s a great niche to be in.

The pace of changes takes some getting used to. It took, what, 10 years to formally update sepsis guidelines? I might get flamed for this but crit care hasn’t drastically changed much in 10 years (maybe improvements in delirium prevention). The speed of new drugs and new indications makes working in onc like drinking out of a firehose.

Tl;dr Transition was like a PGY-2 compressed with lots of headaches at first, but I’m happy in this role but am happy I still work inpatient (like one week in an 8 week stretch)


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Holy crap that's like $100/hr!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Would you like to buy a house here? lol

I’m even with a lot of you, keep that in mind. Don’t let the top line # fool you!

I think there was a story about an RN that would commute to work from Las Vegas (or Arizona) via airplane into SF and it was still cheaper than living here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Come 9/1 we are going to see a lot of $49/hr from new hires at Walgreens from what I'm reading.

Yup the funny thing is even if you were hired as a grad intern, if you aren’t licensed by 08/31, then the new pay rate affects you when you finally get licensed. I’m sure the three letter chain pharmacy would follow suit soon with their starting pay restructuring.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Come 9/1 we are going to see a lot of $49/hr from new hires at Walgreens from what I'm reading.
It will only take 15 yrs (by 2033) to reach the 2018 salary. A big target on your back after 9/1 if this is truly happening. Random write ups will follow so they can get rid of you. On a good note, Walgreen might just effectively reduce the total new grads every years.
 
Salary: $105,000
Geo: Georgia
Practice: Hospital
years of experience: 2 years
bonus: 4 years vacation (5 at 5 years, 6 at 10), okay 403b matching, free health insurance for myself (technically $5 a year). Around 4% raises a year.

The major upside is a free 1% (of average of highest paid 5 years) pension for each year worked up to 25 years.

Fairly low salary, but hopefully the low COL and benefits make up for it.
 
Would you like to buy a house here? lol

I’m even with a lot of you, keep that in mind. Don’t let the top line # fool you!

I think there was a story about an RN that would commute to work from Las Vegas (or Arizona) via airplane into SF and it was still cheaper than living here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you work for a hospital with a union?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Salary: $105,000
Geo: Georgia
Practice: Hospital
years of experience: 2 years
bonus: 4 years vacation (5 at 5 years, 6 at 10), okay 403b matching, free health insurance for myself (technically $5 a year). Around 4% raises a year.

The major upside is a free 1% (of average of highest paid 5 years) pension for each year worked up to 25 years.

Fairly low salary, but hopefully the low COL and benefits make up for it.

shoot that pension is way better then the VA one I get. I get 1% that I pay in 4.4% of after tax money.