SDN PS comments: reliable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khanal007

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had my PS read by a few SDNers and there has been little consistency on the feedback I'm receiving. Some say its good, others say I should start over. I wanted to know how much people are trusting what SDNers say about personal statements? Has anyone else had this experience?

I've enjoyed the critical comments I've recieved in that it allows me to look at my PS harshly, and make it even better. But I'm trying to juggle listening to critical comments, but also staying true to my personal style and narratives.

For example, I've had a reader say that a particular narrative in my PS was "generic" (which I disagree with). But I have no idea how to solve that problem when that particular narrative was something very impacting for me, and a major reason why I want to become a doctor...how can I possibly mold my own life experiences? Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Khanal007 said:
I've had my PS read by a few SDNers and there has been little consistency on the feedback I'm receiving. Some say its good, others say I should start over. I wanted to know how much people are trusting what SDNers say about personal statements? Has anyone else had this experience?

I've enjoyed the critical comments I've recieved in that it allows me to look at my PS harshly, and make it even better. But I'm trying to juggle listening to critical comments, but also staying true to my personal style and narratives.

For example, I've had a reader say that a particular narrative in my PS was "generic" (which I disagree with). But I have no idea how to solve that problem when that particular narrative was something very impacting for me, and a major reason why I want to become a doctor...how can I possibly mold my own life experiences? Any comments?

If it's on the internet it must be true.

But seriously, if you disagree with a comment but still wish to be sure to trust your own judgement shop it out to one of your friends in RL whom you think have excellent writing skills, and ask them if they think it's generic. If they say they think it might be a little, then reconsider how you can with word usage craft the passage to be more specific to your experience alone.

I hope this helps. :luck:

If you ask several people to read your ps, I imagine that there'd be consensus among the majority on atleast some major issues. But if you're getting very different feedback, try meeting with a writing tutor or advisor in person. You are getting opinions from people with varied experience and expertise, so take the comments for what they are: insight from peers on a message board. I think you will notice that there's also quite a range in the qualification of people who offered to read personal statements, so perhaps you should choose who you ask wisely.

As for the particular possibly "generic" passage, I'd be happy to read it if you pm me. And of course, you can ignore whatever I say. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You should look closely at any grammar/sentence rewrites since you don't want clarity or grammar issues. The other stuff is up to you. If you feel very strongly about your PS then don't change it. It is nearly impossible to come up with something that hasn't been done before, so those that say your PS is generic may just mean that they've seen your topic or a similar one done before. I don't think this makes it bad, though, unless it really does sound like anyone could have written it.

Remember, it's your personal statement, not our's. :cool:

I find that readers of the PS come in two groups:

1. The "kind" readers who will edit for grammar and spelling, but generally don't criticize the general theme or flow of the statements.

2. The "theme" readers that will edit for general concepts and flow, but miss a lot of the detailed grammar type things.

The trick is to have type 2 read the essay until you have a general statement down, and then have type 1 polish the thing off. If you give it to the type 1 readers too soon, you may get an artificially elevated sense of how good the statement is.

Remember, if an unbiased reader thinks it is generic - the same feeling MAY be felt by an adcommer.

I have read a few PS's from SDNers, and my general comments to people are:

1. Use your EC narrative spaces to detail your accomplishments, and do NOT waste PS space writing a chronology of your ECs.

2. Have a unifying theme to your PS. This will make your PS memorable to the reader.

3. Make sure that the reader can describe you or "pigeon hole" you after reading the thing (eg make sure the reader can say "hey, lets interview that ________ applicant).

4. Incorporate an interesting, memorable vignette.

5. With every sentence, ask yourself if you are actually saying something, or if you are just writing a fluffy empty cliche. Avoid saying things like "from an early age, I wanted to help people." Don't say such crap, tell a story that shows this, and allows the reader to deduce such things.

6. Listen carefully to ALL the advice different readers will give you. Yes, it will often be contradictory, but the readers at the medical schools will have contradictory interpretations as well. Keep an open mind and realize that the criticisms readers give you are meant to HELP you - not hurt your feelings.

7. Answer the following questions in your PS -

A) What makes you a unique applicant that has something to add to the student body of the medical school you are applying to?

B) Why will you make a good physician?

C) What do you want an adcom member to know about you that is NOT mentioned anywhere else on your PS?

Good luck!

All good points!!

I want to add that you should be positive in your PS. Don't say, "I hope", "I think" that you will be a good physician or a good student or whatever. Try to use positive words always. Make sure that you come off as a confident person who knows they are choosing the right career. Of course, don't go overboard and be arrogant!

Excellent advice Flopotomist!!! I will definitely use it when writing my PS. :thumbup:

Any contradictions I see, i just make a judgment call on which i think would be more valuable to have. its not like any one SDNer can write the ultimate PS for you that will guarantee admission to all med school.

The students on SDN are a cross-section of what you will encounter in medical school. Just because someone is a brillant science major (or insert other major here) does not mean that they are a good writer (particularly creative writing). They may or may not be.

Find out the credentials of your readers so you can better judge. Were they humanities majors (who typically have more experience writing)? Do they have experience writing? There are some SDNers who were in law, marketing, publishing and fields that require a lot of writing.

General rules
1. You need to grab the reader's attention with the first sentence. It should jump from the page. IF it doesn't, they may not finish reading it. Keep in mind that the schools are receiving thousands of applications each year.

2. It should be personal.

3. For heaven's sake, stop using the phrases: "I think", "I believe", "I hope". You should not have two sentences back to back start with "I". You should also certainly not start every paragraph with "I".

4. Show the reader, don't tell them. Example--- what are your clinical experiences? Do not go off and state what a tragedy inner city access to health care is (that is a social policy argument and rarely done well)-- describe the scene (paint chipping off the walls, water on the floor). Paint the reader a picture. They should see what you see, smell what you smell, hear what you do. What about your attributes? Compassion-- show me in through a patient interaction. Readers are not stupid. A well-drafted essay will let them draw the necessary conclusions without you using a jackhammer to make your point.

5. For those of you with parents who are physicians, this can backfire if given too much emphasis-- it can seem like you did not make your own choice but are following some path set up for you by mommy and daddy.

As far as generic statements go, it is true that many students use the I was sick/family member was sick hook. If this is what they meant in regard to your essay, you do not have to abandon it, just sharpen it and make it personal.

Similarly, the I want to help people angle is generic and does not explain why medicine as opposed to law, teaching etc. Make it personal.

God is in the details. Make the reader care about you and your story.

I think a lot of comments on here will differ from comments you recieve from a writing center because I notice that on here people think you "need to stand out from the 25,000 other pre-meds."

Something "generic" to them might be because they've seen it in the previous 300 essays that they've read, its kind of tough...how many different ways can you phrase "I want to help people" in a way that won't make you look arrogant and yet different from everyone else?

vtucci said:
The students on SDN are a cross-section of what you will encounter in medical school. Just because someone is a brillant science major (or insert other major here) does not mean that they are a good writer (particularly creative writing). They may or may not be.

Find out the credentials of your readers so you can better judge. Were they humanities majors (who typically have more experience writing)? Do they have experience writing? There are some SDNers who were in law, marketing, publishing and fields that require a lot of writing.

General rules
1. You need to grab the reader's attention with the first sentence. It should jump from the page. IF it doesn't, they may not finish reading it. Keep in mind that the schools are receiving thousands of applications each year.

2. It should be personal.

3. For heaven's sake, stop using the phrases: "I think", "I believe", "I hope". You should not have two sentences back to back start with "I". You should also certainly not start every paragraph with "I".

4. Show the reader, don't tell them. Example--- what are your clinical experiences? Do not go off and state what a tragedy inner city access to health care is (that is a social policy argument and rarely done well)-- describe the scene (paint chipping off the walls, water on the floor). Paint the reader a picture. They should see what you see, smell what you smell, hear what you do. What about your attributes? Compassion-- show me in through a patient interaction. Readers are not stupid. A well-drafted essay will let them draw the necessary conclusions without you using a jackhammer to make your point.

5. For those of you with parents who are physicians, this can backfire if given too much emphasis-- it can seem like you did not make your own choice but are following some path set up for you by mommy and daddy.

As far as generic statements go, it is true that many students use the I was sick/family member was sick hook. If this is what they meant in regard to your essay, you do not have to abandon it, just sharpen it and make it personal.

Similarly, the I want to help people angle is generic and does not explain why medicine as opposed to law, teaching etc. Make it personal.

God is in the details. Make the reader care about you and your story.

excellent points

also don't trust what sdners say; the more people you ask the more that will offer differing opinions. I found some people told me "that statement is excellent", others said "get rid of that line, it's horrible" and they were talking about the same sentence. so who knows, go with your heart, it's your PS and you have to feel it's your work in the end.

There are some great points on here. :thumbup:

To the OP: I have been getting the same type of things with the comments from people. I'm going more with the person being more critical since I want to err on the side of caution with the PS. Which points make the most sense to you? You have to remember that the person on the adcom reading your essay doesn't know you (just like the people reading the PS on here), so if something doesn't make sense to one person critiquing it, that same thing might not make sense to a person on the adcom, which could be a big problem for you.

Still, I agree that it is your personal statement, so take the comments how you wish.

I recognize my comment in there....:p

The reason I felt it was generic is because I've read the sick relative story a few dozen times already, and I wasn't joking that somebody else's PS the day before came from your country with the same sick relative story. It's not necessarily good or bad, but the spin you put on it is important.

As for reliability, you're throwing your PS to just about anybody here. I think it's beneficial, because you never know who's going to read your PS on SDN, and you never know what kind of reviewer you'll have at your top choice. My comments are made based on how the other PSs look and what makes one PS stand out from the rest (either good or bad).

taylormade44 said:
I think a lot of comments on here will differ from comments you recieve from a writing center because I notice that on here people think you "need to stand out from the 25,000 other pre-meds."

Something "generic" to them might be because they've seen it in the previous 300 essays that they've read, its kind of tough...how many different ways can you phrase "I want to help people" in a way that won't make you look arrogant and yet different from everyone else?
It doesn't have to be a unique, special snowflake, but your comments about your admiration for that intelligent, compassionate doctor as well as the time you brought warm blankets and water to a special patient in the ER, but also your serious concern for the need to have cultural awareness in a diverse area - are going to go unnoticed without a strong example to back them up. At least half of the personal statements I've read include 2-3 cliche sections. The better ones sound like somebody who hadn't been looking at other people's PSs for inspiration (I'm not accusing the OP of this).

I agree with all the points stated. Also, give your PS to 10 different people and you'll probably have 10 different responses. People each tend to look at the PS a little differently so try and find common themes and not try and please everyone that wants you to write 3 paragraphs about your research because they're a Ph.D. or 3 paragraphs on your work with inner city children because they're a social worker. Make one that represents you.

Khanal007 said:

Let me get this straight: You don't know whether or not to trust anonymous posters on an internet message board....so you solicit advice on the matter from the same posters on the message board?

Watch out for the gunners who tell you your essay is great, when the reality is it sucks. Ask people you trust to read it first. If you want feedback on SDN, ask senior SDN members what they think, or at least ask people who aren't applying at the same time as you, so you avoid any possible conflict of interest.

Good luck and take care.

Khanal007 said:

Interpreting and evaluating disparate pieces of information is a bitch, ain't it.

lol, prowler, I really liked your comments, I promise -- I've had to look at my PS very critically as a result. don't get me wrong, I appreciate you reading it!

TCIrish <-- hahahha, ur comment had me cracking up.

thanks, this was all good advice. In the end, I think I'll have to find a balance between what I think and other's comments. Also, in regard to SDNers being just miscellaneous people, let me say that I have gotten a number of very helpful and interesting suggestions and comments -- I still recommend using the PS thread to have people critique ur PS!